Sign in to follow this  
Lew Bundles

Eric rips/compliments Wally on this concert announcement

If you scroll towards the bottom of this concert announcement, you can read Eric’s comments from 2015 both ripping and complimenting Wally...Never saw this before, but, of course,  through years of EC.com allegiance, I am quite aware of this situation...

Maybe, we can lure Marvin/Eric back for one more go-round...

https://coolcleveland.com/2015/05/wally-bryson-band-friends-play-to-benefit-people-with-disabilities/

P.S....if you click on the name of one of the “posters”, Ray Benich, or click the link near his name, you’ll get some info on the Choir and/ or Eric from the early Cleveland days from a guy who played in bands on that local rock scene...

Kirk   

While that probably wasn't the best place for Eric to post that, I think it was still pretty raw at the time- post Raspberries break up, etc.

susie b   

Obviously, the author of the article was lazy and failed to properly fact check.  He took the easy way out, i.e. Wally's version.

EC was understandably miffed that this error made it to print yet one more time and offered his correction.

Agreed, not the best forum for the correction, but understandable when one is tired of the falsehood being perpetuated.

:huh:

LC   

You have to love Eric's honesty and his fierce defense of the point he was making.

And you have to love Wally for his brilliant playing (that trademark guitar style is so unforgettable) and for his role as Eric's foil and creative partner.

Can anyone dispute the idea that they made each other better? Whether it was creative tension, rock'n'roll passion, friction, and/or overlapping (though distinct) musical tastes, they sure brought out the best in each other. The icing on their work together: Their burning desire to hit it big, which is why I love "Overnight Sensation" above all other Raspberries songs. 

So... the four-decade spat over authorship of one single song shouldn't matter much to fans who might be put off by it. The spat is a byproduct of what made the two Raspberries kingpins so great. (I say "kingpins" because don't forget... they're the only two who played on all four albums!)  

Kirk   

Even as recently as the reunion concerts, Eric said Wally is the best guitar player he's ever played with...I think that sums it up pretty well.

Overnight Sensation- agree with LC on this one- the pinnacle of Raspberries!

• Like 1