Lew Bundles

Cool Discussion...GATW vs. IWBWY

Kirk   

That was an interesting and intelligent conversation- too bad they're all closed to further comments- for me....hmmmm- Go All The Way, by a nose.

• Like 1

LC   

An intersting variation of the "Tonight" vs. "Ecstacy" debate that took up residence here years ago. I actually have an easier time with this one than "Tonight" vs. "Ecstacy." For me, it's "Go All the Way" all the way! It was first, it was totally fresh, it had innuendo, it had that iconic opening guitar (thank you Wally!), it had the pleading and urgency that gave it almost a "story" effect. "I Wanna Be With You" is awesome and just about its equal, but... "GATW" for me. As for the other debate, "Tonight" wins tonight. But I might think differently next time I hear "Ecstasy."

Kirk   

How about All For Love and Sleep With Me? 

All For Love is a slight favorite tonight...might be different tomorrow.

• Like 2

"All For Love," for me is sooooo much better than "Sleep With Me." In fact, there are so many nice things about that tune, that it sometimes creeps into my EC Solo Top 10!

Bernie

• Like 3

James   

"All for love" is fantastic, maybe one of the most underrated songs ever...it oozes with talent and beauty. But "Sleep with me" I have to choose here.

• Like 2

LC   

I'm in the Bernie and Craig camp: "All for Love," and by more than a nose. 

You guys are all balladeered out, so let's crank up the volume and angst... by a lot. How about "No Hard Feelings" vs. "Take It or Leave It"? 

"Take It or Leave It" is just awesome—I love the snarly guitars, the "bleep-off" lyrics, the bridge, and the dual-solo-guitar thing that starts at 1:40 and goes on for 20-some seconds, culminating in an Eric scream. It's a perfectly crafted song that should have made Rod Stewart jealous. And I do give Boats the nod over its predecessor, which had "No Hard Feelings." 

BUT... all that said, I've gotta go "No Hard Feelings." It's the most Raspberries-sounding song he did as a solo artist. The guitars are crunchy and it's got that long tag with some of Eric's best screaming, and—the difference-maker for me—it's got the bonus of autobiographical lyrics. Eric's rearview-mirror account of what the heck happened to Raspberries was very enlightening to all of us who were in the dark in between Starting Over and Eric Carmen (Arista).  

• Like 1

All for Love over SWM, hands down.

No Hard Feelings? Way back when I was 18 or so, my dad and I went somewhere in my VW and I had the first solo album on 8-track in the car. I was going to turn it off, but he said to leave it on, which surprised me because he likes country music. Anyway, he did like it - but when it got toward the end of that long fade at the end of No Hard Feelings, he said, "Would somebody let that sonofabitch out already!"

• Haha 4

James   

For me, the Lemme Out climax of "No Hard Feelings" is the hardest rockin, most electric 2 minutes of music in rock & roll history.

• Like 1

James   

I like "Take it or leave it" a bunch, but think the production was too conservative, and so kept the song from reaching its full potential.

• Like 1