Sign in to follow this  
susie b

Double Fantasy

susie b   

Most covers of EC's classic, All By Myself, fall into three main categories: acceptable, mediocre, and abominable.

Of course there sometimes is a rare and shining moment when a good cover is uploaded.

EVERYONE wants to cover this song well, but that club has a short list of membership.

So, my question is, who would you nominate get a shot at joining the ABM Hall of Fame?

Who would you choose to get a shot at doing this 20th century classic Carmen/Rachmaninoff composition justice?

It can be any singer, past or present from any musical gendre.

They just have to sing the song as it should be sung...

Crazy stupid vocal gymnastics substituting for poor emotive and storytelling skills will result in an automatic disqualification as well as a permanent ban on that artist's permission to sing EC penned songs.

Who in your opinion is good enough to make the grade?

I think my first nomination will be Miss Karen Carpenter.

Her voice was rich and lush with excellent pitch control, and Karen was a master at telling emotional stories through song.

• Like 3

Kirk   

I'll call your Karen Carpenter (which is a good call) and raise you Nat King Cole.

• Like 1

I always thought Mariah Carey should have done either ABM or "Boats". I believe I once read she considered ABM, but Celine beat her to the punch. I think Mariah's career would have gone a better route in the 90's had she gone with either!

• Like 1

susie b   

I think Art Garfunkel would do a lovely version.  He is one of the few male artists who has the sensitivity to deliver an EC song the way it is supposed to be.

I love his versions of Since I Don't Have You & I Only Have Eyes For You.