Lew Bundles

Interesting Forum Topic...If Mccartney sang Go All The Way...

LC   

Now that's an interesting topic. Why don't we get that creative here? :-) (Just kidding.) 

Seriously, I love the thread—the blue-sky dreaming of the first guy, followed quickly by the cut-and-dried response of the next guy ("50% of people would think it was Paul's song. 40% would think "Wow, I didn't know he did this song." The others would think it was a pretty strange choice of a cover song...") And then... the differing opinions that followed. 

My take:

Throughout his career as a recording artist, Eric had a very distinctive voice—it was unique. So I sort of agree with the guy who said, in so many words, that he thought Eric's voice had a passing resemblance to Paul's, but the bigger thing is that his songwriting style was very Beatlesque, and more on the McCartney than Lennon side.

Certainly I would concede that Eric at times has McCartneyish intonations. But that tone is all Eric's. And nobody sounds quite like him. The only time I ever heard a song and thought it sounded like Eric was a single called "I Believe" by a Canadian band called Chilliwack. (Marvin was the only person here who knew of that band—I only heard of them because I got a review copy of an early-1980s LP they recorded). 

PS: I like how on the Hoffman forum people refer to him as "Carmen" all the time. Here, we always call him "Eric." He's a friend, after all. (And we wish he'd hang out here again and contribute something now and then.... A book of the month? A music lesson? Something...?)

PPS: ThIs is that Chilliwack song; listen to it at least through the first chorus: 

• Like 1

Kirk   

Not a bad song...I'm pretty good with vocal recognition- somebody will call me on the telephone who I haven't talked to in 20 years and I'll know who it is before they finish 'remember me'?  Anyway, I thought the Chilliwack lead singer could pass for the Doobie Brothers.  Eric, not so much...

Kirk   

Actually, I think all of the 'berries had unique and distinct voices.  Eric could do a McCartney, McCarl could do a Lennon, but their voices were unique- so much so that Eric said he used to write Raspberries songs that fit their instruments- their voices!