susie b

Starting Over... A New Album Collection

David Cassidy 1975 RCA album "The Higher They Climb....The Harder They Fall" as All Music website calls it his best album of his career. Danny Bonaduce also gave it big during the last days of David TV special on A&E but people did not heard it because it did NOT charted in the Billboard Top 200 Album Charts & a failure!!  My opinion, "Rock Me Baby" is my favorite from David from 1972!!  Yes, The Partridge Family "Sound Magazine" I think is the best album which I got & heard for the very first time on a sealed Ampex 8 track tape back in February of 1978 back then. The song "One Night Stand" was co written by Paul Anka!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GirlFan   
On 2019-07-24 at 9:52 PM, Kirk said:

Can't go wrong there, Tammy.

Exactly right Kirk I can't  stand to go without my favorite music 

• Like 1

donzi   

1) Boston

2) Boston Don't Look Back

3) Boston Third Stage

4) Boston Walk On

5) Boston Corporate America, Boston Life, Love & Hope, Boston Greatest Hits, Boston (any future album)

LC   

Brad Delp was great—gone too soon (he died in 2007). He was from up this way, in Peabody, Mass., and was a noted Beatles fanatic. 

I know it's not the "coolest" Boston song to like, but this one's my favorite.

• Like 3

James   

"A Man I'll Never Be", for me, is hands down the best Boston song, and as great a song as any that came out of the rock era.

• Like 1

James   

Just ordered Secret Treaties, BOC....prompted by Paul's post, and then by the stellar reviews online. Surprised I missed that one back in the day.

Another 5:

1. "Live", Status Quo, from 1977....could be argued it's the greatest rock & roll album out there.

2. "Flashback with....", The Spinners, a Best Of collection.....wall to wall great r&b pop tunes from back in the day.

3. Any Foghat live collection. Underrated band imho...strong writing, guitat playing, and a really likeable and charismatic frontman/showman in Lonesome Dave Peverett.

4."Hot August Night", Neil Diamond.....the masterpiece of one of the top 5 song writers of the era.

5."Boats Against the Current", .....most days it's my favorite of all time.

Kirk   

The groupings get more eclectic with every passing day.  My next five:

1. They're Coming To Take Me Away

2. Monster Mash.

3. Alvin and the Chipmunks.

4. Soundtrack from Jaws.

5. Any "Space Music" album from the 50's or 60's. 

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2019 at 6:14 AM, Raspbernie said:

You pulling' our leg, Dave?

Bernie

Ok, maybe that'd be #6 (I really do like it!).  I forgot about Keane's Hopes & Fears.  That'd be a top 5 for me. 

LC   

Dave, I love that Keane album. The first two tracks especially are spectacular.  

Choosing just 5 is difficult, and if you asked me later my list would probably change, but here's what I'm feeling right now:

1) Bee Gees - Main Course

2) Eric Carmen - Boats Against the Current

3) Beatles - Rubber Soul

4) Billy Joel - The Stranger

5) Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

• Like 1

PaulMaul   

I love Bee Gees Main Course! One of the most eclectic albums out there. Great songs from so many genres. And anyone who hasn’t seen this video of Wally Farkas doing Nights on Broadway should watch it! 😁

• Like 1

James   

Received and am listening to Badfinger´s "Straight Up" (one of Lew´s top 5) and Partridge Family´s "Sound Magazine" (in Paul´s list). Both are strong but I need to listen more before opining in a thorough way.

But what does come to mind listening to "Sound Magazine" is that these songs are not teeny bop, they are brilliant pop tunes, produced, played and sung at a very high level. It´s too bad this band got pigeonholed into a "joke  and" / a "not cool band".  People would do themselves a favor to get underneath the need to be "cool" and listen to this stuff. It´s incredibly strong. Will now go out and buy more from the Partridge Family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get "Bulletin Board" by The Partridge Family (their final album from late 1973). The song "Alone Too Long" reminds me of Daryl Hall & John Oates. Speaking of Hall & Oates, they did a song called "Alone Too Long" (from the self - titled RCA album in 1975).  Blood, Sweat & Tears also covered "Roller Coaster" (featuring lead singer Jerry Fisher) (from 1973 "No Sweat") which was also done by singer songwriter Mark James also on Bell Records. Also Rod Stewart covered "Oh No, Not My Baby" also in late 1973.  Finally, Barry Mann did the original "I Heard You Singing Your Song" (from 1972 "Lay It All Out" album). Problem is that "Bulletin Board" is available on itunes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PaulMaul   
On 8/18/2019 at 7:55 PM, James said:

But what does come to mind listening to "Sound Magazine" is that these songs are not teeny bop, they are brilliant pop tunes, produced, played and sung at a very high level.  

Exactly James. I have all the PF albums, and I would say the first two have a lot to love on them. Cassidy’s voice was sped up slightly on the first two albums to make him sound younger, but the overall result is still very good. After Sound Magazine, I would say the albums have a little more filler. There are still excellent songs on all of them, but also several that are not as memorable. 

As Matthew says, Bulletin Board is a very unique album as it came out just when the pop sound was changing toward R&B/dance music. So there are songs on there from many different genres. That album also contains one of my all time Partridge faves:

• Like 1

James   

That´s a good song too.

I bought the first 2 Partridge Family albums... they´re now combined in one cd package. "Bulletin Board" was too expensive, or out of stock.

P.S. I also bought a Bobby Sherman album and the best of the all the Osmands combos   :blush:...............great songs on both those cds, though I may not
ever be able to let anyone peruse my album collection after this.  :-)

James

By the way, Bobby Sherman went from Metromedia Records to Janus Records & recorded 4 songs in 1974 & 1975 on 2 45 singles including "Our Last Song Together" (written by Neil Sedaka & Howard Greenfield) that went to # 34 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary Charts in August of 1975 & his final chart record.  The final album on Metromedia "Just For You" (from 1972)  which has the song "Together Again" is on itunes only!!