donzi

Raspberries Greatest Hits LP in raspberry colored vinyl - Pre-order

LC   

Good find, Donzi. The cover looks like a CD compilation I've seen but the description sounds like there's some care being put into this vinyl edition. 

Showing all of the 45 singles is a nifty idea. Kudos to the art director for coming up with that idea. Love it!

Bernie

• Like 1

James   

As cool an album cover / package as I've seen....may have to buy it for that reason only.

• Like 1

LC   

Now that is a great design, that back cover. A real throwback. (Millenials: Now what are those little red things inside the labels?) 

I love that this compilation has "Cruisin' Music" on it. Love that one. It was better than any Beach Boys song of the mid-1970s (with all due respect to the great BBs).

• Like 1

LC   

Of course, after I wrote that last comment, I saw that Bruce Johnston wrote liner notes. Oops! 

Also, did you all note this line?:

MASTERED IMPECCABLY BY JOE REAGOSO AT FRIDAY MUSIC STUDIOS – FROM THE CAPITOL RECORDS TAPES

Hmm... sometimes you hear that the original master tapes have been lost.... Maybe not? 

James   

"Cruisin Music", to me, is the most underrated Raspberries song. It's got a melody that could come out of only a genius song writer......it's a perfect pop/rock gem.  So good that it'd be the signature song of 98% of the artists out there.

James

Kirk   
2 hours ago, LC said:

Of course, after I wrote that last comment, I saw that Bruce Johnston wrote liner notes. Oops! 

MASTERED IMPECCABLY BY JOE REAGOSO AT FRIDAY MUSIC STUDIOS – FROM THE CAPITOL RECORDS TAPES

Hmm... sometimes you hear that the original master tapes have been lost.... Maybe not? 

The chatter on FB is that Kay and Wally have the Starting Over master tapes and are in the process of 'baking' them.  This is right from Kay's lips.  I believe these are the only Raspberries masters known at this time, and this was just recently publicized. 

donzi   
10 hours ago, LC said:

For what it's worth, at the end of Overnight Sensation, you can hear a faint intro to Go All The Way. I've heard the same thing, if I remember correctly, on the same song on The Essentials CD. If it was "Mastered Impeccably", why wouldn't that error be removed? I'd be surprised if he used the Capital Records tapes. The LP still sounds pretty good though.

LC   

Donzi, Craig's right—but I think (and check me if I'm wrong) that the faint "Go All the Way" was tacked onto "Overnight Sensation" when it was included on Raspberries Best, the 1976 LP compilation. I don't think it was included on the Starting Over album. But, to know for sure, I'll have to cue up my old LP.

• Like 1

donzi   
12 hours ago, Craig Benfer said:

That wasn't an error. The intro to Go All The Way is supposed to be heard to signify the "Hit Record" being played on the radio.

My bad. It makes sense now. I never noticed it before until I heard it on The Essentials CD. :blink:

On 7/15/2019 at 11:20 PM, LC said:

LC,

I'm guessing when they refer to "Capitol Records Tapes" they are referring to the Mix-down Masters, which do exist. What doesn't exist (or are at least lost in some vault somewhere) are the Multitrack Masters. The mix-downs are two-track stereo used for originally mastering the albums. The multitracks have 16 separate audio tracks with each part, voice, instrument on separate tracks. Those multitrack are what's needed to really do a proper remastering of the albums.

Bernie

• Like 2

LC   

Thanks, Bernie. It only adds to the frustration and outrage over that hot news story about the Universal fire that destroyed countless master tapes. 

Speaking of that, because it's related, I thought this was an interesting interview—it's with a Universal archivist who said the losses were "overstated" (but that any loss is painful): 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8516256/umg-archivist-interview-universal-fire-masters-tapes-litigation

Didn't we grow up hearing, "Take care of your stuff!" from our moms and dads? Well, people don't always follow that advice—even those who are caretaking historical art!  

LC   

On a side note (or, actually, getting back to the point of Don's thread), I bought and received the LP. Awesome... as a collectible. I probably would have resisted if not for Don's thread. But I'm glad I have it.... Great item! Thanks, Donzi!

• Like 2