Sign in to follow this  
LC

Great Moments in EC.com History #23–Gene Simmons: Rock Is Finally Dead

LC   

This is a relatively recent thread (2014), as EC.com goes. It starts with AnneNR's post on an Esquire interview in which Gene Simmons opined that rock'n'roll is dead. File-sharing and free-downloading have killed it.... (It's not new, by the way—remember making mix tapes for friends back in the day?)

Anyway, the thread drew lots of agreement from this gang. It even attracted the comments of Eric Carmen.

(Was this the last time Eric posted here?) He had some insights from the "inside," like: 

"Gene IS right, but it's not 'rock" that's dead, it's the whole music business. There's an entire generation out there that have never held a CD ( Let alone an ALBUM! ) in their collective hands. The concept of owning the CD is almost dead.' 

And, if you missed it, how about this revelation?: 

I think I mentioned in a previous post that "All By Myself" got almost a million hits on Pandora, during a six month reporting period. That netted me $38.00. Meanwhile, the CEO of Pandora took home a $29,000,000 paycheck last year.

Wow!

The thread had my own cut-and-paste of a Rosanne Cash letter on the topic of artists getting ripped off, and some spirited discussion involving James, and the appearance of some old friends, like Wendy Ann and PaperDoll82 and Mary Ellen.... 

Eric has continued to speak out on the topic via Twitter. I'll make time to capture some of his salient points to record here....

Meanwhile, the original thread is a good read! 

LC   

One of Eric's re-tweets put this Rolling Stone expose in front of his followers, a piece noting that "fake artists" on Spotify are watering down payments to real artists: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/fake-artists-have-billions-of-streams-on-spotify-is-sony-now-playing-the-service-at-its-own-game-834746/

From the RS piece: Spotify "divides its total industry payout across the entirety of artists on its platform, based on their portion of overall streams. The important bit: if 'fake artists' are paid lower contractual royalty rates than 'rea' acts, and then, driven by playlist inclusion, claim a certain percentage of Spotify’s total monthly streams, Spotify ends up keeping more money."

Eric's comment: "Unbelievable. A new low, even for the music business."

I saw that tweet by Eric on the Spotify fake artists. Real interesting (and disturbing) revelation. Seems the crooked music industry is just as crooked as ever.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Bernie

• Like 1