Kirk

Todd Rundgren Utopia

Kirk   

Just saw a 90 minute set in Chicago from a recent tour of the U.S.  Couple of observations:

Todd Rundgren can still sing and rock!

He gets a lot of music out of a four piece band.

I'm a top 40 kind of guy, but only recognized about 3 songs in the entire set- and one was a cover of 'Do Ya'!

Where was "Hello, It's Me", or "We Gotta Get You A Woman" and a few others I was waiting for?

Anyway, good concert none the less...

• Like 1

James   

When we do threads on the best pure pop songs, "I saw the light" should be one that's up there. A perfect pop song.

James

• Like 1

The last time I saw Todd, after not playing any of his hits, he came out for an encore and the crowd started chanting  for I Saw The Light...He said to the crowd,”you guys are a bunch of assholes”, slammed the mic down and split...

• Like 2

Kirk   

Alrighty then, that explains that!  I was waiting for I Saw The Light, as well as a few more, but I guess he still has the same attitude.  I thought maybe he didn't play that song for fear there would be a Raspberries fan in the audience LOL!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Todd is immensely talented, but for some reason does not want to play any of his songs that everyone wants to hear. I was lucky to have seen him in the '70s (he was INCREDIBLE!), but when you see him now you have to put up with things like an unlistenable reggae version of "Hello, It's Me," which I was subjected to at a show a decade or so ago. Haven't had any interest in seeing him live since.

Bernie

• Like 3

Saw him with Utopia many, many, years ago...(40 maybe)...And he performed most of the night with his back to the audience...2nd half of the show was all instrumental, he was wearing a diaper, and turned around one time and sang one line from,We Gotta Get You A Woman, and turned back around and continued the instrumental

• Like 1

susie b   
14 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

See, he can do it! But only if he feels like it! ^_^

Bernie

The slide guitar player killing it, BTW!

Daryl made him do it... 

It's my understanding that these two Pennsylvania boys are good friends, and if I remember correctly, TR produced War Babies for Hall & Oates.

:)

• Like 1

Kirk   

That was about 14 minutes more than I'd heard Todd speak previously...well spoken.

• Like 3

Kirk   

I thought it was interesting that somebody who creates the diversity of music that Todd does can not read music!

• Like 1