Sign in to follow this  
LC

"Boats" Live, 1979—Thank You Hossy!

LC   

I personally can't thank Hossy enough for putting this beautiful treasure on YouTube for all the world to hear: "Boats Against the Current" live in Japan during Eric's 1979 tour. It's stunningly great, and a revelation, and it gave me a huge thrill. As I told Naeko, I have loved this song since the first time I played it on my turntable in my room in August 1977, just days before going away to college for the first time. "All by Myself" gets all the attention, and it deserves every bit of it, but "Boats" is something special. Thanks again, Hossy! 

I

• Like 8

Kirk   

Spot on LC.  I think this is the song that impacts people the most when they hear Eric for the first time.

• Like 2

LC   

I wonder how many live versions of "Boats" there are in existence? The TV lip-synchs don't count. But I think there's at least one from the Ringo tour. And one from the HOF solo gig. And certainly there must be more from Japan. And maybe even some versions from the 1977 tour....  I just heard many. It's not like, say, Eric Clapton's "Layla," where you can find countless live versions spanning several decades.

Anybody got an inkling? Maybe Bernie can shed some light....?