Sign in to follow this  
Craig Benfer

The Fox Oldies

Every day at work, I tune into internet radio station The Fox Oldies.com From Texas. The DJ is Sam Meyers. It's a great station. Friday mornings are requests so I often request Raspberries/Eric tunes. SO, today (Wednesday's) is Flashback Top 50 Day where he counts down the Top 50 from a particular year for the current week. Today was 1973. So as he was doing the countdown today for the week of February 10, 1973, he interrupted the countdown before playing the #40 song to play "I Wanna Be With You". He said " I wanna play a song that was #31 the previous week but dropped totally out of the top 100 for this week. Such a rarity to have that happen. By a great group and a song that deserved much higher and a longer stay on the charts. I Wanna Be With You by Raspberries". 

That was awesome !

• Like 8

LC   

I haven't heard that show... but it sounds right up my (our) alley. 

And Sam's right about "IWBWY." I didn't realize it had such a precipitous drop out of the top 40. But it did peak a lot higher, as I recall—inside the Top 10.

Here is the Billboard Hot 100 Chart run of 'I Wanna Be With You":

Chart Week Chart Position

November 25, 1972 77
December 2, 1972 45
December 9, 1972 37
December 16, 1972 32
December 23, 1972 31
December 30, 1972 28
January 6, 1973 23
January 13, 1973 20
January 20, 1973 17
January 27, 1973 16
February 3, 1973

• Like 2

An 11 Week stay in the Top 100 for a song that peaks in the Top 20 is a little short. Once songs start to decline, they usually do so pretty rapidly and it's not that unusual for them to disappear in 3 or 4 weeks, but a 1 week decline from the Top 20 to being totally out of the Top 100 is indeed rare.

Kirk   

Our local station 93 KHJ charted a meteoric rise of "Let's Pretend", moving the song from 24 to 13 in one week.  Just as quickly, 2 weeks later it was gone without any further chart success.  Never could figure that one out.

LC   

Chart movement back then was sometimes strange (and maybe a little suspicious?).

Kirk   

No doubt.  I have to confess to calling the radio station several times a day requesting whatever Raspberries song was on the charts at the time.  The week "Let's Pretend" shot up the charts was probably due more to my calling than record sales- they used to have a formula that balanced requests and sales- a dubious way of determining chart position for sure!

• Like 1

So the main page of Fox Oldies has a Chat window. They just played Love Is Like Oxygen by Sweet. I wanted to type "Wankers!" in the chat box but resisted. lol

• Haha 1

Today is Flashback Countdown Day at the FoxOldies.com and they are counting down the Top 50 from the Week of March 6, 1976.  At #2 that week is All By Myself.  It's amazing how I still get a rush hearing Eric songs on the radio. Can't wait until the get to #2.

• Like 2

Kirk   
2 hours ago, Craig Benfer said:

Today is Flashback Countdown Day at the FoxOldies.com and they are counting down the Top 50 from the Week of March 6, 1976.  At #2 that week is All By Myself.  It's amazing how I still get a rush hearing Eric songs on the radio. Can't wait until the get to #2.

I know the feeling.  When "Brand New Year" was in record stores on Record Store Day a few years ago I got the same feeling of excitement as I did when it was 1972 and I was waiting for the next Raspberries record to be released!

• Like 1