blackhawkpat

Teddy Does Eric

I have always been a huge fan of the singer Teddy Pendergrass but somehow this version snuck by me. I am in the process of watching the new showtime documentary about him called “if you don’t know me”  and in the background I heard the piano Interlude done so I looked it up on YouTube and here you have it! 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Kirk   

Well, I like Teddy, but I didn't care for that version at all- a little too 'stylized' for me; also, it gets old when the singer comes in on the back beat for the entire song...

• Like 2

LC   

Hey, I like this. A little improvisation, a bit of gospel, and lots and lots of anguish. Love the anguish. I actually prefer this to Celine Dion's chart-topping version. 

What do others think? 

• Like 2

James   

I´d never heard it. I thought it was stunning. Easily the best cover of this song I´ve heard.

Good one Pat!

• Like 1

susie b   
On 2/12/2019 at 9:47 PM, Kirk said:

Well, I like Teddy, but I didn't care for that version at all- a little too 'stylized' for me; also, it gets old when the singer comes in on the back beat for the entire song...

What Kirk said.

I consider this song a lament.

The lyrics convey the emotional message quite clearly.

Artists who embellish ABM with vocal gymnastics miss the simple and poignant message.

I found it difficult to listen to this cover in its entirety.  It fatigued my ears.

The original EC version is perfection.

:)

• Like 3

James   

Pat is only guilty of forgetting that chicks have dirty minds, and that they thus interpret everything thus so.

:-)

• Haha 2

LC   

I do know what you mean, Craig, an Susie, too. I hate when a singer goes all dramatic on a song to add his/her own stamp. I just heard a version of the Beatles' "Golden Slumbers" that I had to turn off after about a minute. She was wrecking it. It felt like she was doing all this "range" stuff for the sake of doing it. I can see why this Teddy cover might feel the same. But to my ears, he was more authentic in his connection to the song. So... I liked it. But that's the beauty of music... different strokes! 

• Like 1