Lew Bundles

Claustrophobia...Help...Anybody out there?

This is where this board makes a difference in my life...I am currently in an airport ready to catch a flight...I suffer from EXTREME claustrophobia...Anybody have any helpful suggestions?...Anybody out there to share some anxiety secrets....Boarding and when the plane finally stops and the doors don’t open yet are torture...

LC   

As I wrote on the other thread...

Well, I hope you have an aisle seat! Otherwise, it's just mind over matter. "Concentrate on the plane, put your soul in command." 

Once you're airborne, there's nothing better than sleep! So try to doze off and forget where you are! 

PS: This is one COLD morning to have woken up so early and made your way to an airport! Are you flying from Hartford or NYC? And where are you headed? Hope it's a quickie...

LC   

Did you ever get seated next to a gabby person who's had too much coffee and wants to talk, talk, talk? 

• Haha 1

Kirk   
3 hours ago, Lew Bundles said:

I flew out of Hartford and am going to see my son in Fla...The lady next to me doesent say a world and we communicate through the use of hand puppets...

Sounds like the White Castle effect is working...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am at the airport for my return flight...Anxiety riddled...hate when I have to leave my son behind..no matter how old they get, they are still your kids...It turns me into a crying machine...I hope somebody responds to this so I have something to read when the plane touches down, rolls to a stop and they don’t open the doors...That is the part that drives me crazy...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was in my 50's and there was some mess going on in my life. My parent were both still alive, and I remember my mom telling me that my dad was having trouble sleeping. My mom was too and she asked my dad if he was having trouble sleeping. He said " I'm worried about Craig. No matter how old they get, you never stop worrying about your kids."

My kids are in their late 20's and early 30's and they are still kids to me. And I worry too.

• Like 3

James   

Pssssst, Lew, .......think POSITIVE stuff, ......like how Lewisa loves you. (forget the part about how she thinks of James while she´s "loving" you).

:-)

P.S. We love you Lew!....hope you had a good time with your son in Florida.

James

• Like 1

While being held captive in England during the SWEET period, they have, at least, sent in a psychologist to help me cope with my claustraphobia while in this cell...The adrenaline surge is caused when our "fight or flight" response is triggered...Sweats, rapid heartbeat, numbness of limbs amongst other things makes you feel like your gonna die...

The body needs to redistribute oygen in correct portions to the areas that are being short circuited by the adrenaline or hyperventilated...Therefore, three things really help...

1.) Square breathing...Inhale through your nose, slowly for 3 seconds, hold it for 3 seconds, exhale through your mouth for 3 seconds and rest for 3 seconds...Repeat the process...This will normalize your oxygen flow...Calmness will come...

2.) Place a cold compress, if possible, behind the neck...I'm not sure what it does, but it is a technique used by stewardesses(sic?) on airplane flights when passengers get the "willies"(Not Little Willy's)...This may be the same concept as Number 3 but

3.) Mind over matter...It seems that the mind only has the capability of focusing on one thing at a time...YOU MUST DISTRACT YOURSELF FROM THE ATTACK...Read, turn on the T.V. or radio...Use some of the techniques that they use at Lamaze class for childbirth like fixed focus on an object in the room...pick up a rock and put it in your pocket and fiddle with it, pull out anything from your pocket and read it, start to make lists in your head of things : your favorite Berrie's songs, baseball lineups, places you have visited and enjoyed, receipes(double sic)...whatever you need to distract your mind...Try these things, they work...I'm not a psychologist, just a little less anxious person...The WORST thing you can do is give into your fear...It will feed on itself and absolutely intimidate you for your next encounter with whatever the situation/stimuli is...

•  
  • Like 4

I am at LaGuardia airport, claustrophobic and anxiety riddled...I am about to take a flight to Florida to see my son and the thought of being locked in a plane, totally out of my control is putting me in the throes of a full fledged panic attack...I hope I get some responses soon to this post and help me through the angst...Thanx...

susie b   

High quality full spectrum CBD oil (pardon the expression) is a great relief for stress.

I do use it myself and for one of my dogs who gets fearful of thunderstorms.

Also try Bach Rescue Remedy!  Great stuff!

Lew, is there a possibility of taking a train rather than flying?  Takes longer, but it is relaxing, especially if you spring for a private sleeper room.

:)

Angst time again...I am out of my mind with anxiety as I will be flying to Fla. in the A.M...I hope they sell this CBD oil at the airport...or rescue remedy...I didn’t follow up on this last time and am regretting it...Hope there are some responses of support for this post for I need some encouragement and distraction from my plight this morn...Thanx in advance,,,

James   

Lew, concentrate on the positive, ie Sophie Marceau may be on your flight, and while walking down the aisle, to go to the bathromm, she coild have a wardrobe malfunction...right as she's passing your seat!!!.....oh man!!....I want to be on that plane!!

: )

P.S. You will be fine, man, have a great trip!!