Sign in to follow this  
Lew Bundles

My Long Lost Interview With EC...

In Lew of a court appearance, Eric has allowed me to reprint an exclusive interview that I did a few years back...He sat down with me and did an extensive retrospection of his inspirations in regards to his song catalogue...Here it is...Hope you enjoy...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A couple of years ago, I did an interview with Eric and he told me the inspirations behind his songs...Now that the "Essential" CD is out, I re-interviewed Eric to get a snapshot of the tracks that were not originally discussed in our first interview...Over the next few days, I will post both segments of my interview...

THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION...

ANNE NR AND BIRDY...PLEASE STOP; DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER...INTERVIEW MAY APPEAR FUNNIER THAN YOU THINK...

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY THE EXPRESSION OF THE AUTHOR...

THEY ARE NOT THE OPINION OF THE BOARD ADMINISTRATORS OR OF ANY RASPBERRIES THEMSELVES...

ANY RESEMBLANCE TO A LIVING PERSON IS STRICTLY CO-INCIDENTAL...

THIS IS STRICTLY FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES...

THIS HAS NO CASH VALUE AND IT IS NOT REDEEMABLE OR RE-DEEMING IN ANY FASHION...

NO TURN ON RED UNLESS SPECIFICALLY NOTED...

ANY REPRODUCTION WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT OF MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED...

A PENNY SAVED IS A PENNY EARNED...

GIVE HIM AN INCH AND HE'LL TAKE A MILE...

CAMP TOWN RACES FIVE MILES LONG DOO-DAH DOO-DAH...

DON’T JUDGE A CRAB BY ITS CLICK(CLIQUE)...

I THINK I COVERED EVERYTHING...

LEW...Nice to get together with you Ricky, again...I wanna ask you about your inspirations or what you were thinking about for each of the songs on your new ESSENTIAL CD...

Track 1...GET THE MESSAGE...

ERIC...Well, that was specifically written with Marvin in mind...I just got so sick and tired of his defense of Wally and his claim of co-writing GO ALL THE WAY, that I just wrote GET THE MESSAGE...I think  Marvin has gotten "THE MESSAGE" since I havent seen him around these parts lately...

The original lyrics were:

"We've been talkin' 'bout this this for so long,

Can't you see Marvin that your wrong,

Wally didnt take me half way there,

C'mon, C'mon....He didnt co-write GO ALL THE WAY,

GET THE MESSAGE...

.LEW: Okay...Tell me about Track #2...Go All The Way...

ERIC...There's nothing  I can tell you about that...You'll have to ask Wally...He wrote that one...

LEW:  All right, How about Let's Pretend...One of my favorites...

ERIC- Lewie, there was a time where I was really struggling to gain weight...I, actually, made Karen Carpenter look like Stubby Kaye...So, I came up with this song originally called, "Let's Digest"...There's a piano over there and I'll just show you how it went...

"Why cant
These pants
Fit around my waist more firmly?

Cant eat
Nothing!
Just a piece of zucchini

You know I can cook
A Full meal
Just open my mouth and slip in some veal

Oh no...

Baby, Let's Digest"

Well, you get the picture, Lewie...Needless to say, I think the recorded lyrics were much better 

LEW: Well, Eric...ready for some more?...Tell us about Boats Against The Current...

ERIC-Originally, my conspiracy side came through...The title stems from the fans use of acronyms for my song titles; for example GATW, IWBWY or IYCCYM...

With "Boats AGAINST THE CURRENT, I knew that my real fans would understand the acronym BATC and what I was singing about " Bush Attacks Trade Center...

The original lyrics were not so cryptic...

"I know you did it,
You know you did it,
Just flew those 2 airplanes
Into towers one and two"

But, Clive, in one of his more lucid moments, made me change the lyrics but I knew the fans would "get" the BATC thing...

LEW...ooo...aah...how about CHANGE OF HEART?

ERIC: Originally, people thought it was a tribute to Louis Washansky, Dr. Michael DeBakey or Dr. Christian Barnard...but it was more simplistic than that...You see, I was commissioned to write a song for the newly re-tooled version of The Wizard of Oz...My job was to write a song for the The Tin Man...In the new version, he was awaiting a heart transplant...I thought CHANGE OF HEART would be a good one...

"I could find someone

More than willing

To give me a replacement,

But there's no one there

I could trust to hack me in two...

Now I understand

All the reasons 

You favor sedation

ERIC: As you can tell, it just wasnt working, so the entire song was scrapped...The only part that they kept in the movie was my re-write of the following ditty...

"Ha ha ha, ho ho ho

And a couple of la de dahs

That's how we waste the day away

By watching Dr. Oz"...

LEW: ooo...aah...

ERIC: Lew, is that all you can say?.. Give me the list and I'll give you the details......Make the newbies happy and dont talk anymore...Give me that sheet of paper...

Let's see...RUNAWAY...I remember that one well...It was a time in my life that I was very depressed and I turned to food for comfort...So I wrote this one and called it "TONAWAY"...

"I packed a tonaway

Food of ever kind

I packed a tonaway

From  lentil soup to Spam

I packed a tonaway

From chicken coops to yam

And I'll even take a bath

With a can of Pam"

Let's continue:IT HURTS TOO MUCH was about a trip to the dentist because of a broken bi-cuspid...It Hurts To Munch...

LOVE IS ALL THAT MATTERS...I was never a sucker for a pretty face or a nice deriere...To me, LUNGS IS ALL THAT MATTERS...

"Lungs is all that matters

Flashing out some cleavage

No bra for suspension

Let those puppies breathe

Prisoners of our scruples

Keeps those babies hidden

Just relax the harness

Set those fellas free"

AH..THE WAY WE USED TO BE...One of the best songs I ever wrote was based on the time I was having prostate trouble...THE WAY I USED TO PEE...

And my favorite song that did not make the CD is I DONT KNOW WHAT I WANT...Great story behind this one...

ERIC- When I was living in Calif. for awhile, I was flat broke...(Remember the lyric "We were making 50 cents?)

I had to watch my pennies and for food, I would frequently eat at McDonalds and explore their dollar menu...

One night, after a recording session, I had exactly $4 in my pocket and proceeded to the McDonald's drive-up window in Northern L.A, near Granada Hills...

DRIVE UP WINDOW WAITRESS- "Can I help you, por favor?" 

ERIC- So I start singing,(to the tune of I Dont Know What I Want)

"What to eat,
I'm on a budget,
Happy Meal
Or a 4 piece McNugget
Small French Fries
And a Diet Coke?

Just a 'shake?
I like Banana
Why she speakin' Spanish?
We're not in Havana 

$4.06
I dont have the change
Maybe McDonalds
Is out of my range

Costs too much

And I really cant eat here

I DONT KNOW WHAT I WANT 

ERIC: Well, Lew...That's all I have time for...But, there is one thing I've been dying to tell you...Your ass looks fat in that skirt...

LEW: ooo..aah... 

TO BE CONTINUED...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Kirk   

What makes your stories work is your knowledge of the EC.com message board history and the players involved- hilarious!

• Like 4

Thanx for the kind words, Kirk...I actually try to include some older posters in hopes that they lurk and may come out of hiding to respond...

• Like 2