LC

Great Moments in EC.com History #10 — lyrics

LC   

So, here's a perfect example why EricCarmen.com needs to have a bulletin board: a unique thread called "Your Favorite Lines in Raspberries/Eric Songs." Started by Beatnut, it drew five pages and 113 replies. It's interesting to hear which lyrics have meant the most to fans. 

Beatnut started with a couple of lines that are my favorites, both of which nail loneliness:

"I don't wanna start with someone new" from "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again"

"I can't begin to count the times I have been by myself/I lie awake, my lonely room tells me there's no one else..." from "I Reach for the Light" 

After that, an avalanche of submissions....

Duane picked out two verses from "Boats Against the Current" that rank among my favorites: "Maybe we're older, maybe we're colder, so we disregard solutions, while we cling to our illusions once again..."

Wendy picked out one of my favorites: "'From the day we met I knew that I should never let you get a hold on me 'cause now you see I can't forget you." It's from "I Can Remember," of course....

John Booyah (Angelina) picked out another of my favorites—a two-verse passage that's pure poetry and deserves to stand out:

Half-forgotten fragments
Of a high school dance
In the dead white hours of winter
When we loved so hard
That we thought it would never end

Tryin' to remember 
How it used to feel
When a kiss was something special
And I wonder now
Will it ever be again

Amazing imagery... Who writes that kind of imagery in a pop song? 

AnniekNY picked out yet another favorite, one that I've quoted many times in my professional career: "Perfection is consuming, and it seems we're only human after all."

Paperdoll cited still another of my favorite: "In the bank of my love, your account's already overdrawn."

A new member who goes by She Did It Again didn't give us a specific lyric, but made note in a moving post of how the Essential EC two-disc set got him through some difficult times. He mentioned the phrase "active listening"—which is a great concept to make in a lyric-focused thread. Most of us, after all, probably would say we're active listeners (as opposed to casual, where you don't really pay attention...). Artists who merit active listening are usually the best ones! 

Anyway, here it is:

PS: Read through the whole thread: There's a surprise Eric post from 2014 where he mentions that he unearthed some Boats Against the Current tapes... for a possible boxed set down the road. (See also http://ericcarmen.blogspot.com.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just re-reading those Boats lyrics really hits home...If you’ve ever had a dissolving relationship, this song really nails it...Along with, I’m Through With Love and The Way We Used To Be, these songs tumble you into an abyss that make you so introspective that it’s tough to climb out of the hole...Can stand side by side with Sinatra’s In The Wee Small Hours...Turns you inside out...

• Like 5

LC   

And no one brought up this one in the thread, so I'll do it here: 

I got sidetracked somewhere
Though I really can't recall just when
I lost my inspiration
And I couldn't get it back again

I trusted everyone else so completely,
Well, I was deaf, dumb, and blind
But I'll be damned if I let 'em defeat me
I think I found myself

• Like 4

James   

Truth be told, of all the lyrics over the 6 solo albums, the ones that moved me most over the years was the "Lemme Out" climax sequence at the end of "No Hard Feelings".

A great visceral cleansing of the soul, ..or something.

I'm loco, I know. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

James   

RE: "I think I found myself"

I've mentioned this before, but when I first moved into the dorm at TCU, freshman year, 1977,  just when Boats was released, I obviously played the poop out of the album on my turntable.

My roommate, who wasn't reaĺly so familiar with Eric Carmen, was forced to get to know the album. Eventually he fell in love with "I think I found myself", and adopted it as his personal anthem. He'd play the heck out of that song!

P.S. I agree LC, those lyrics are pretty great, as is the song, one of Eric Carmen's more underrated numbers.

James

• Like 2

LC   

James, re: “great visceral cleansing of the soul”:

You’re right! A primal scream worthy of early (solo) John Lennon!

• Like 4

Kirk   

And the icing on the cake: As Eric is screaming "Lemme Out!", you can discern the intro to GATW in the background...

• Like 5

elle4ec   

You’ve been doing some great digging, LC! I remember this thread well. Of course, like you and Duane, the lyrics and lines you quoted from “Boats Against The Current”, have to be at the top of my list, as the song is, IMHO, one of the most perfect songs of all time. That being said, Eric has penned so many, many superb lyrics, and a lot were mentioned in this topic. Like you, the imagery alone that so many of Eric’s songs evoke, has kept me awake and entranced many a night. To me, there’s no better introspective music out there to get lost in. So, from one “active listener” to another, thanks, LC, for reminding us of this this awesome thread...and, most of all, thanks to Eric for all those many stellar lyrics. For as “Perfection is Consuming”...many of my favorite lines from Eric Carmen are as about as perfect as one can get.

• Like 3