LC

Great Moments in EC.com History #5

LC   

I had forgotten about LobsterLvrs "Rename the Raspberries" thread until Eric's reference to same in his "Hindsight..." thread (see Great Moments #4). 

And, as an aside, isn't that the great thing about a bulletin board like this? It's a long and winding road that takes unexpected twists and turns, and you end up finding yourself in different avenues and alleys, wondering how you got there but enjoying it.

Actually, that very experience describes the "Rename the Raspberries" thread. It starts out with the concept that this great band simply had the wrong name. And then it morphs into a dozen different directions, and they're all interesting (don't miss the Hot Tuna bit, with full lyrics to "Keep on Truckin'.").

And there's a really personal piece from Duane, one of my favorite posters here. He went out on a limb and suggested that the Raspberries' orginal name should have been, simply... "Eric Carmen." He got a little pushback, but it was all very civil and respectful.

Ultimately, the thread got back on track, with some interesting and funny suggestions. Like, The Apples. (Coming up next is the new hit single from the Apples, "Go All the Way"! — Imagine that!)

Anyway, since I didn't contribute to the thread, I'll finally give my opinion here.  

Would a different name have meant a different fate? I would say... probably not. It's never one thing. It was the times and the music trends and twists of fate and radio favors and record company politics. And, yes, maybe it was partly the misconception of what the band was, and a misperception of what it was doing.

Maybe, just maybe, a "cool rawk band name" would have sent the Capital marketing people out with a less teen-focused campaign at the beginning. And maybe the proper promotion would have put those great songs in front of way more people and resulted in three or four hit singles per album and consistent FM radio play and platinum-selling albums and sold-out arena shows. Sadly, we'll never know. 

As it is, we're all used to "Raspberries." And the fact that the "Bronx cheer" intention was lost on, like, everybody kind of adds to the charm. Short of using as the first album cover a close-up shot of Alfalfa sticking out his tongue and splattering all over one of his Little Rascals friends, that lesser-known use of the word "raspberries" was never going to overshadow the actual fruit when it came to promotion.  

Well, as fruits go, don't we all think Raspberries is better than, say, "Bananas" or "Melons" or "Starfruit" or "the Pomegranates"? 

Actually, wait: The Pomegranates! That's it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

James   

I think a band makes the name cool, even a name most think sounds nerdy.  See: The Beatles, The Cranberries,  Etc.
Eric, Wally, Dave and Jim did just that, they made the name cool with their music ...(and they would have made "The Pomegranates" a cool name too!)

I actually think the name Raspberries name worked for the band. I think it worked great.

James

• Haha 1

LC   

A raspberry by any other name...

(Bernie could do a lot better than this, but... I don't have much time!)

Pomegranates-best.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

LC...Beautiful artwork, but I think you guys have it all wrong...Regarding this topic, I once posted a round table discussion in heaven that featured this topic...HOPE YOU ENJOY IT AND REMEMBER OUR FALLEN MATES...

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Recently, there was a round table discussion in heaven, orchestrated/moderated by three of our dearly departed posters...Sugarbabi7, Don Krider and wickedgail...They gathered some of the top minds in the afterlife to give their reasons why Raspberries were not bigger than they actually  were...

Here is a transcript of the proceedings:

SUGARBABI7-First, I would like to thank you all for coming...I am seated between two of my fellow esteemed posters, critic Don Krider and Raspberries/John Waite fan wickedgail...I have asked you all to prepare your reasons as to one of earth's greatest mysteries...Why were Raspberries not bigger than they actually were?...First up Albert Einstein...

AE-Thank you SB7...I have given the matter some serious thought and it just re-inforces my theory of   E=MC2...Eric equals mis-calculations( twice.)..It seems, that Eric cultivated a wonderful combination of musical ideology with his unique combination of British Invasion and Beach Boy stylings but it was a gross miscalculation...With all things being relative, and I am big on relativity theories, the time was past for that type of musical fodder...and when he finally had his solo opportunities, he miscalculated tastes again...His first two singles, although superb, All By Myself and Never Gonna Fall In Love Again, were another gross miscalculation on the current trends of the time...He, unfortunately, pigeonholed himself musically into an unappreciative musical genre and no matter how he tried to revamp to a harder edged style, in both cases, initial impressions are too difficult to overcome...

SB7-How do you feel about this Johnny Cochrane?

JOHNNY COCHRANE-I agree with Al...Your first impression is what sticks...Look, the defense had everything on OJ but a video of him committing the murder, but the jurors saw a football player and not a murderer...Eric...I'll tell you the same thing.that I told the court and I paraphrase..."If you have a hit, you must stick with the same shit"...But to be fair, I never even heard this dudes music...Can I hear something by him...Ludwig, bang out a little EC music...LUDWIG...LUDWIG!!!...Answer me, Beethoven..

SB7-He's deaf, remember...

JC-Yea...I mis-remembered...If blind people wear sunglasses, deaf people should wear earmuffs so we can identify them easily...Ok,,,Let me see a lyric sheet to one of his songs...I WANNA HEAR IT FROM YOUR LIPS...I axe you...What kind of jive is this?...He needed to change the words to a more contemporary meaning if he wanted street cred...Something like this...

"I'm doin 5 to 10...

For takin out some creep...

Doin time, for a crime and I'm proud

That I listened to my peep...

You see,someone robbed my cell phone...

From my gin, I took two sips,

Then I shot that( n-word) through the lips...

SB7-Any comments? Isaac Newton?

ISAAC NEWTON-While I find that very entertaining JC, I dont think that's it accurate...It was the whole RASPBERRIES thing itself...The name was all wrong...It should have been The APPLES...APPLES APPLES APPLES...Would I have discovered gravity if a raspberry had fallen from a tree?...NO...It had to be an apple...I wouldnt even had seen a raspberry if it fell...Would Johnny have had the same impact on history if he was Johnny Raspberry instead of Johnny Appleseed?...The Beatles recorded on APPLE records... An apple a day keeps the doctor away...Could you imagine saying to someone..."You're the raspberry of my eye"..And how about that poor bastard?...Would he have survived if William Tell shot a raspberry off his head? ...Just to reinforce my point, why doesnt someone go get Adam...He's in room 222 and ask him if he would have listened to Eve when she flashed some cleavage and said "Try a raspberry...They are delicious"...I could go on and on people...Do they roast a pig with a raspberry in his mouth?...

ROBERT MERTON- If I can interject something...Gentlemen and ladies, in 1948, I wrote about a theory I had which is the self-fulfilling prophecy...Raspberries/Eric Carmen were doomed in a self-induced sabatoge state with their song titles alone..."Going Nowhere Tonite, Boats Against The Current, Foolin Myself, etc...They needed some uplifting themes and messages...Why  couldnt they come up with some positive re-inforcement titles like, "Ecstacy" or aggressive assertiveness like "Tonight You're Mine"...Titles like that would have given them a strong positive approach...

SB7-They did Mr. Merton...And that's what's confounding...Well, that about wraps it up here...As you can see, we dont have any answers, either...So we turn this discussion back to EC.com and see if you guys have any theories...

LEW BUNDLES...Bye Gail, Don and Cherie...We miss you guys...

X
  • Haha 6

LC   

I thought Albert Einstein was right on with his E=MC2... Nice to know that he became such a fan of power-pop and rock'n'roll! 

RIP SugarBabe, WickedGail, and Don Krider! 

• Like 3

James   

More brilliance from our hero, Lew Bundles. Great one Lew, maybe in your top 3 of all time.

P.S. Not sure why Lew can't get chicks. Lew is a great guy. If I could, I'd share some of my talent with Lew, so he could get chicks, like I do.

Anyway....

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1