She brings to me
And I love her"

VS. THIS:

"Come on baby now, let me look at you
I just wanna know how you feel
Want a love that's so proud and real
You make me wanna go out and steal
I just wanna fuh you, I just wanna fuh you"

I don't get it either.  Time for an evaluation maybe?

I've heard the criticism that Paul's problem is that nobody around him is honest with him.

"Great, Paul!"
"I love it!"
You're a genius!"
"You still got it!"

Sometimes somebody has to call a stinker a stinker.

Bernie

• Like 1

Kirk   

We had a discussion on here years ago about the quality of songwriting.  Eric's albums didn't really have any throw away songs.  There are maybe one or two songs in his entire catalog that I would skip over.  When I mentioned that Mac had several tunes that were basically just filler, I was vilified!  Fuh you!

• Like 1

Although...on second thought. I was kinda in a Paul groove today...watched a bootleg of the “Let It Be” movie...thought about how he brought “The Long and Winding Road” AND “Let It Be” to those sessions. Just a few months after bringing “Hey Jude” to the group. And incredibly, after the band busts up a short time later, he writes “Maybe I’m Amazed.”

So, Paul...you can record anything you want, man. You’re a genius! You still got it. 

:blush:

Bernie

Nancy   

Well I just spent the earlier part of my evening watching "The Beatles" "How They Changed The World", true, but I'm sorry to say that that didn't change my point of view! Still like Paul though. :P

Nancy.

AnneNR   

Even the best of them can't maintain all the time.  I think he's trying too hard to stay relevant with all those potty mouth artists that think it necessary to assault our ears and minds with profanity.  SAY IT AIN'T SO, MR. MacCARTNEY !! :unsure:

I like Paul MacCartney, he's done more after the Beatles that a majority of the populace can enjoy than the other 3 did, in my opinion. That being said, there are some of his songs over the years that I don't listen to.  Someone should tell him he doesn't need to keep up with all these fly-by-nights in comparison to his career, just be himself.  There's plenty of subject matter even just sitting in a parking lot and watching what happens (that was an observation from a famous songwriter, though I can't remember which one at the moment).

Anyway, that was beneath his talent. :(

AnneNR

• Like 1

susie b   
On 8/18/2018 at 6:14 AM, Kirk said:

We had a discussion on here years ago about the quality of songwriting.  Eric's albums didn't really have any throw away songs.  There are maybe one or two songs in his entire catalog that I would skip over.  When I mentioned that Mac had several tunes that were basically just filler, I was vilified!  Fuh you!

Yup ... I agree.  Although he has penned some great tunes, who put  "Let 'em In" and "Silly Love Songs" on the airwaves?????

I always thought they were schlocky.

• Like 1

James   

"Silly Love Songs" is a classicly great pop song. If we take off our "Cool" hats, and try to forget the song was overplayed to death in 1976, it´s really a gem of a pop song. I was bored by it back in the day as it was overplayed, but as the dust has settled over time I see it as pretty great. A great response to Lennon´s cynicism, great melody,  killer bass, nice vocal " Linda and Paul harmonizing nicely against each other, ....just perfect Paul letting another exquisite melody that was in him flow out into record-ville so we all could enjoy it.

"Let Him In".....not horrible, but for me a little boring and I normally skip it.

"Beware My Love" - maybe his most underrated song?  It´s my favorite of his.

Good to see a post from Susie!

Please carry-on.

:-)

susie b   

I like early Paul stuff... the older he gets, the less I like the music.   

Once we get past "Live and Let Die" and "Band on the Run", I just lose interest.

Guess I'm just a cynical Lennonist.

:) 

James   

I know purists probably don´t like "With a little Luck" either,  but I like it.  A lot. Mainly the long album version with the long instrumental interlude, when listening to it proper - loud in a quiet place. Man!.

I love good pop melodies from the least cool bands in the land (Bobby Goldsboro, Archies etc.) to the coolest of bands (Beatles etc.) in the land, and to me "With a Little Luck" is graced with a pretty great pop melody.

James

James   
22 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

beware_my_love.jpg

"Beware My Love" is a GREAT rocker! and ironically the B-side to "Let 'Em In!" So flip that 45 over, Susie!

Bernie

That 45 record looks SO cool,...  grainy, shiny....I almost want to eat it! 

Nancy   

Hey Matt, I've never heard of that song before but,  correct me if I am wrong,  but it reads 6:05 on the 45? Think it is the long version?

Nancy.