6. Change of Heart

5. Winter Dreams

4. Boats Against the Current

3. Arista self-titled

2. Geffen self-titled

1. Tonight You're Mine

• Like 1

Kirk   

That's ok, Dave- my order changes every time I make this list!

• Like 1

Even though I ranked them, I love all six.

But Boats, Arista, TYM - they're all so damn good in their own way and it's hard to pick one over the other.If TYM had two more songs (and didn't have such awful cover art - the record label really screwed him over with that, IMHO), I would probably put that one first for sure. Why not have included a cover like "Tin Soldier" by Small Faces and maybe a re-working of one of his Raspberries tunes or some yet-unreleased song to fill out the LP.

• Like 2

Kirk   

It's a great 8 songs, for sure.  I think Eric and Arista were pretty much done with each other at this point.  Arista wasn't really promoting Eric, so why waste more time creating tunes that were not going to be heard!  5 of the songs on that album are so good I would have been happy with just those...Tonight You're Mine, It Hurts Too Much, All For Love, Sleep With Me, Foolin' Myself.   

• Like 2

6. Change of Heart (Desperate Fools is its saving grace)

5. Winter Dreams (love "Isn't it Romantic" and the two covers)

4. Geffen (hit and miss)

3. Boats (I still love listening to this album straight-through, as listed, no skipping. A great ride.)

2. Arista (each song distinctive, yet truly 'carmen-esque'.)

1.Tonight Your Mine (NOW we're talking...and rockin!)

• Like 1

Kirk   

Change of Heart has some great songs on it...I think it's the 'Discoesque' production that keeps it floundering at the bottom of most people's lists.

• Like 1

6. Change of Heart

5. Geffen self-titled

4. I Was Born to Love You (or "Winter Dreams", depending on what country you bought it from) (I have the American release, which, unfortunately, lacks his superb "Caroline No" cover.)

3. Arista self-titled

2. Boats against the Current

1. Tonight You're Mine

BMP

• Like 1

Kirk   

Other than Matt, Tonight You're Mine is the consensus #1 solo album.  Imagine how well it would have done if Arista had put some effort into promotion.

• Like 1

James   

Good threat Matt, here´s mine:

6. Born to love you ..."Cartoon World" is the highlight and up their with his best stuff
5. Geffen...some really good ballads, and "IWHIFYL" is a really great pop song.
4. Tonight You´re Mine..a great album, GREAT, but I didn´t feel as close to this one personally as I did the first 3 for some reason... only weak song is "I need some lovin" and maybe the title       track.
3. Change of Heart..I go against the grain here, I like or love every single song on this album. It´s light maybe, but that´s ok with me. Love this album.

...Boats and the 1st album are very different, but each is (for me) a masterpiece and I can´t choose one over the other tonight....I probably feel closer to Boats, but the      1st album could be the greatest album of all time (for me) if you rate an album based on melody quality.

James

• Like 1

Kirk   

Eric wrote pages on what happened to 'Tonight You're Mine' on the message board.  Politics and power at their ugly worst!

• Like 1

James   

..yeah, I remember being pretty disappointed with the album cover of TYM.

• Like 1

Kirk   

That too...I was referring to the media moguls that tanked the album.

• Like 1

Kirk   
1 hour ago, Raspbernie said:

Kirk,

”Boats” at #4?!?

🤨

Bernie

Bernie, in all fairness, it would be Tonight You're Mine at #1, and everything else at #2, but that wouldn't be playing fair.  BTW, where's your list ;)

• Like 1

Billy   

6. Change of Heart

5. Winter Dreams

4. EC Arista

3. Boats Against the Current

2. EC Geffen 

1. Tonight You’re Mine

• Like 1

GirlFan   

6.Change of heart 5.Eric Carmen 1984 4.Boats Against the current 3.I was born to love you 2.Tonight you're mine 1.Eric Carmen 1975

• Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 8:16 PM, Kirk said:

Bernie, in all fairness, it would be Tonight You're Mine at #1, and everything else at #2, but that wouldn't be playing fair.  BTW, where's your list ;)

Teresa and I had company this weekend.

:cool:

Now, that the dust has settled, here's my list:

6. Winter Dreams

5. Change of Heart

4. Eric Carmen (Geffen)

3. Eric Carmen (Arista)

2. Tonight You’re Mine 

1. Boats Against the Current

Bernie

• Like 2

Kirk   

BTW, just because I don't rate "Boats" at the top of my list doesn't mean I don't think it's a great album.  I get it, I really do.  Some of the songs on that album Eric considers his best.  They are highly personal and very emotional.  I think Eric is at his best when his Pop sensibilities are in overdrive, and not too much of the "Boats" album could be defined by Eric's own description of a pop song- a 3 minute diddy with a catchy melody and soaring chorus with a great middle eight tying it all together (I'm paraphrasing).  I guess this is where my opinion differs from some others.

• Like 1

James   

I´m kinda shocked Winter Dreams and Geffen are getting as much love as they are. They´re both good albums, but I always considered both a few steps below
the first 4. But what the heck do I know?? :-)

James   

..also surprised EC Arista is averaging out at only #2.5....I always considered that quintessential Eric Carmen, his best effort by far regarding quality melodies...pure genius melodies, greatness wall to wall.