Sign in to follow this  
Matthew C. Clark

Good Morning Starshine: The Best Of Oliver

I finally listened to the late Oliver "Good Morning Starshine: The Best Of Oliver" (compilation from 2005 on Taragon) & all tracks are in stereo & runs 43:10 in CD length. Oliver (born William Oliver Swofford on February 22, 1945 in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina) & died of cancer on February 12, 2000 at 54 years old.  The song "Good Morning Starshine" (from the Broadway musical "Hair") went to # 3 (kept from Blood, Sweat & Tears "Spinning Wheel" at # 2 & "In The Year 2525" by Zager & Evans at # 1 in July 12 & 19 of 1969) & # 3 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart. The song "Jean" (from the movie "The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie" starring Dame Maggie Smith) went to # 2 (kept from # 1 by The Archies "Sugar, Sugar" in October 4 & 11 of 1969) but went to # 1 (4 weeks) on Billboard's AC Chart in September 20 till October 11, 1969. The remake of Spanky & Our Gang 1968 song "Sunday Mornin'" (I still prefer the Bobbie Gentry & the late Glen Campbell version from 1969) went to # 35 (Hot 100) & # 14 (AC Chart) in January of 1970.  The next song "Angelica" (dramatic song which is 4:40 in length) went to # 97 (Hot 100) in April of 1970 & # 26 (AC Chart) in May of 1970. The song "Young Birds Fly" was an album track. One of my favorites is a song called "Buddy" (also an album track) which should have been a hit in AM radio back in 1970. The remake of The Fleetwoods # 1 song from 1959 "Come Softly To Me" (duet with the late Lesley Gore, known as Billy 'N Sue) is a great remake from 1970 & runs 3:34 in length!!  The song "I Can Remember" (Nope, NOT The Raspberries 1972 song) has great drumming & went to # 24 (AC Chart) in August of 1970. The song "Light The Way" (written by Eric Carmen who also plays piano & organ & wrote the string arrangement) is 3:21 in length & a great song that should have been a AM radio hit which did NOT charted in Billboard back in late 1970.  The remake of Gordon Lightfoot "Early Mornin' Rain" was his last charted song peaking at # 124 (Billboard's Bubbling Under The Hot 100 Chart) on May 1, 1971 (1 week) & # 38 (AC Chart) in April of 1971.  The remake of Bob Dylan "Walkin' Down The Line" is another great remake. The final song "Why You Been Gone So Long?" (written by the late Mickey Newbury) was the final song of his career in December of 1971 which did not chart & good harmonica on the track.       Matt