Sign in to follow this  
Matthew C. Clark

Van Morrison "Georgia On My Mind"

Kirk   

Yet, friends that I know will pay hundreds of dollars to see him in concert- every time he comes to the SoCal area- I don't get it, either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

AnneNR   

They must be expecting him to do the kinds of songs that got him radio air time, of which this is not one, when they pay to see him live.

Mr. Morrison should have thought better of doing this selection, and as I continue to listen while typing this, I find it quite annoying when he does those little spurts of rapid word repetitions. It doesn't help the song at all, in my opinion. Michael Bolton does a better version of this song.

On a similar thought, I recently watched an AXS TV presentation where it was just Mickey Dolenz and Peter Tork as "The Monkees" for less than 30 minutes at some boiler house joint of some sort in Texas, I think.

It was awful.  :wacko:

It made me feel bad, but Mr. Dolenz has not taken care of his voice over the years. It has completely changed. So is he a heavy smoker? Is he experiencing health issues? Is it just not in his genetic make up to keep his vocal sound intact even going into his senior years? The reason I ask is that I saw a PBS special which had Jay Black (David Blatt, I think is he real name) of "Jay & The Americans" do an absolutely amazing performance of "Cara Mia", with the operatic high note being held just as long as he did when he was younger. That man is in his sixties at this point. He himself didn't think he could continue to do the high notes, but the more he was determined to try it, the more he was able to keep his re-performance of the song consistent with how he first performed it so many years before.

I really have such a soft spot for each member of "The Monkees" in my heart because of how they were part of my growing up years as well as later on, but if they cannot perform like they used to, or come up with new material to suit the voice they have now, they should stop failing to perform the older material if they can't  maintain a certain consistency with the original sound we first came to know and love.

Since Ms. Linda Ronstadt had become ill, she made the decision to stop performing because, as she explained in an interview with Dan Rather on "The Big Interview", she didn't believe it was right to have people pay money to hear her yell or shout a song rather than sing. (Paraphrased). I have a lot of respect for such a decision, especially since I can imagine how hard it must be to stop doing what you love and have been good at doing for so long.

So I will stick with the songs of Mr. Morrison's that I can appreciate (I'm not a really big fan, but I do have a compilation CD that includes the songs he did that I like on it), and likewise will only listen to the songs that I believe sound good to my ear done by "The Monkees" or their individual members. I won't purchase any recent material that might sound like what I heard on that less-than-30-minute showing. It was so sad to hear them this time around. :(

AnneNR

Another BAD Van Morrison remake is the Tommy Edwards song "It's All In The Game" (from 1979 "Into The Music") which goes into the last song "You Know What They Writing About" which closes Side 2.  

• Confused 1

AnneNR   

I JUST DON'T GET IT ! ????

WHY do some artists go ahead and record something that is soooo subpar for them to do?

It's like when John Wayne insisted on doing a movie about Ghengis Khan, in which HE played Ghengis Khan!  What a disaster!!!  I like our iconic John Wayne as much as the next American, but his decision to play a Mongolian war lord --- OMG, so so bad.

As far as the singing artists are concerned, doesn't anyone listen to what they want to include on an album for public consumption? Why do they think they can perform so poorly (in some cases BADLY) and think their fans will just bless the mess and buy it solely because of their affection for them?

So very disturbing and confusing. :unsure:

AnneNR