Raspbernie

Hear me (Let me) Ou-ooot!

Todd Rundgren - "Couldn't I Just Tell You" (1972) - jump to around 1:48
Eric Carmen - "No Hard Feelings" (1975) - jump to around 3:45

Discuss.

Bernie

• Like 4

AnneNR   

Which came first, the Carmen or the Rundgren?  Clear case of "sampling" long before that was even coined as a music phrase or expression. 

On a lighter note, were the same "howlers" used in the two songs?  :P  

Seriously though, Mr. Bernie, you've got good ear tone to pick up on that!!  :lol:

AnneNR

• Like 2

Todd Rundgren's "Couldn't I Just Tell You" was purportedly released in 1972; Eric Carmen's "No Hard Feelings" was purportedly released in 1977.

This question means some research about when both were written, tunes and lyrics. (No, Spell Check, I did not spell Todd's name incorrectly. Get a tune up.)

In this universe there are coincidences.

On a side note, I agree with the artists' opinion about how those radio stations play the game. Nasty.

• Like 2

Les R.   

Since there were more than three years between the two songs, I'd say if there was any 'sampling' going on then it had to be  on Eric's end.  And may I say, it is not unknown for Eric to have done such things, particularly on his debut LP.  But if anyone asks where you heard such a thing, it wasn't from me!

To be fair though, I believe there is not only some mutual admiration (and inspiration) between the two men, but also some professional (if not also friendly) rivalry.  I don't recall where I read this, but in early '72 when the Raspberries were recording "I Saw the Light," who showed up in the studio but Mr. Todd Rundgren (aka 'Runt'). And it was VERY shortly thereafter that Todd came out with his own very different and very good song but with the same title.  And get this, there were between the date of Todd's single hitting the charts and the release of the Raspberries debut album, there were only TWO DAYS.  So you tell me...

I wonder if Capitol chose not to release their "I Saw the Light" because of Todd's.  It's a great track and I always thought it could've made the Raspberries another hit single.

• Like 3

Now now, we Canadians love our neighbors dearly. In The English language there are limits to words for nouns, verbs, adverbs, pronouns, adjectives and the like, so why not song titles? Remember the story about George Harrison and the girl group with a certain song? It made for a hilarious song and video, "This Song." Yes, he DID have a sense of humor.

I wonder what Todd Rundgren's opinion on this is? (Probably laughing it off over a drink with Burton Cummings).

Oh, by the way Bernard, I pronounce the word in the subject title "owt" not "oot". ( Probably caught it from the Buffalo, NY TV shows I watched as a child).

James   

Same words, but the music is different, so IMHO there is no copying going on.

Both are good songs though!  Good post Bernie.

James

James,

The way I hear it it's almost the same words, but the exact same cadence. Probably subliminal, but who knows. There are a lot of crazy bits and pieces to the Eric-Todd continuum.

american_dream.jpg

Take this LP, produced by Todd in 1970 by a pretty much unknown group called American Dream from Philadelphia. What's the connection, you ask? Well, the title of the last track on Side 2. It's "Raspberries."

The name Eric chose for his group that very same year.

Before you think Eric copped his band's name from a tune on on obscure record Todd Rundgren produced, you might want to think again. The name for Eric's publishing company that he used for Cyrus Erie's first single the year before was... you guessed it.

sparrow.jpg

Raspberry Music Company. What's with all these raspberries references?

And does this debunk the oft-told story that the band came up with their name from a Little Rascals character's famous, "Awww, raspberries?"

Jump to :36...

The plot thickens.

Bernie

• Like 3

AnneNR   

Wow !  Our own serial drama !  Where ever will it take us next ? --- the dreaded Cliffs of Insanity??  --- the dangerous Fire Swamp?? --- or the torturous Pit of Despair??

Perhaps only the Dread Pirate Roberts can say . . . . hmm?  Stay tuned for more adventure!!   :D

AnneNR

Raspberries was a group of 'epic' proportions and now I'm stymied, and craving raspberries. Maybe Todd Rundgren has some! They are in season right now.

You know you walked into that one :)

I bet Mr. Carmen and Mr. Rundgren mutually respect each other.

• Like 1