James

The Greatest Opening...

James   

...of any concert I've seen. 

The reunion concerts were appreciated by all, but sometimes I think this great opening is under-appreciated. The early years band melting into the band of 2005 live ...genius idea... and execution.

• Like 6

I had just seen McCartney who showed a pre-concert video to the crowd before stepping on stage. It really got the crowd going. I mentioned it to Eric and suggested he let me make something to open their first show. He gave me the green light to put something together. I enlisted Ken Sharp, who helped secure some rare footage. Jim Bonfanti told us he had some home movies of the band in Europe. We grabbed those 8mm films, had it transferred, and put together a rough cut. We showed it to the band at one of their rehearsals. I'm not sure who was more moved by it, Ken and I—who had the honor of showing it in person to the boys—or Eric, Wally, Dave and Jim who got a little choked up watching it.

The rest is, as they say, history.

Bernie

• Like 5

I gotta tell you, it was quite a moment watching the band members take that trip down memory lane. Someone (I don't remember who) said after seeing the friendship and closeness they clearly shared back in the day, "We had fun, didn't we?"

And they did.

Wish we could recapture that spirit once again, so there would be more shows. But I guess we should consider ourselves lucky for having had the joyous chance to see it at all!

After all, they said it would never happen. They were wrong.

:)

Bernie

• Like 2

James   

You did a great job putting together that opening, Bernie. And yeah, I feel lucky. I just saw the one show in Chicago, but it was a pure bonus as I'd never expected to ever see the band live...given I became a fan in 1976 after they'd broken up.

James

Pam   

Really love this - Eric sounded better than ever on this song. Just hate I never got to see them live! Nothing like a live performance!!

• Like 1