Raspbernie

Never Say Die!

30 posts in this topic

For new Members, thought I'd revisit an EricCarmen.com exclusive: four years ago, my good pal Tommy Allen helped me turn an old demo tape of an unreleased Eric Carmen song into a dream. Not only did we get to polish one of Eric's raw gems, but I got to play rock star and strum some guitars along with Blondie guitarist Paul Carbonara and Billy Branigan on bass, augmented by Tommy's incredible drumming.

If you're already familiar with the track, take a trip down memory lane. If you're new to the tune...ENJOY!

ERIC CARMEN — NEVER SAY DIE

Bernie

14 people like this

Thanks for that Bernie,   that's why you are a nice guy doing stuff like this.....

What kind of guitar were you playing?   What era was that song written ?

Thank You

4 people like this

Really cool song, the guitars sounded great !  I like it this time even more than the first time it made its way here.

Thanks for bringing this to us, Bernie. 

James

4 people like this

It was written in 1991 (or so) by Eric and Desmond Child. Eric told me that they were trying to write a "James Bond" style song. After we got our hands on it, Tommy Allen didn't really try to produce it that way. Rather, his aim was to fill it to the brim with real instruments and see if it could rock. And rock, it did!

Bernie

8 people like this

I think this song is verrry cool....have it on my ipod and listen to this hidden gem often :)

2 people like this

Thanks for bringing this one back! I loved it the first time I heard it. I've said it before and will say it again....you ROCK, Bernie! :grin:

2 people like this

Bernie, must be pretty cool to say you played on an Eric Carmen tune...

2 people like this

Great find, Bernie.

I think everyone can tell that Eric 'Was in the monent' of the song.

Difficult for anyone else vocally, because off the tone and voice Eric sang it in.

1 person likes this

I agree. Just having listened to "Hungry Eyes" I popped in and found this again!  Thanks for okstevens, you made my day; wonderful bump on a hot and sticky day.

BTW Mr.C, if/when you decide to publish this gem, please include "Cindy in the Wind" either as the B-side or in a new album. It's never too late to introduce a couple of new generations to REAL MUSIC.  Never. :wub:

1 person likes this

BTW, found out "Never Say Die" was released by Eric Carmen. Am I the only unenlightened person here?

1 person likes this

On 8/12/2016 at 7:37 PM, prettymom777 said:

BTW, found out "Never Say Die" was released by Eric Carmen. Am I the only unenlightened person here?

Actually, it's unreleased. Just uploaded here on EricCarmen.com as a special treat for fans.

:)

Bernie

1 person likes this

Why did someone put it on YT? That's piracy. At least it has disappeared. 

To people who say they are anyone else but the artist, telling people the artist did, is dishonest and idiotic.

At least you were honest, Bernie.

1 person likes this

The story of "Never Say Die" (and yes, it all started here!):

An unsolicited e-mail was received at EricCarmen.com from someone who said that he had purchased the contents of an abandoned storage locker in Los Angeles containing a tape with Eric Carmen's name on it. A few days later a very large and heavy box arrived. Inside was a 2" master tape with the title, "Never Say Die."

Originally recorded as a demo in 1991, "Never Say Die" was written by Eric Carmen and Desmond Child.

The instrumentation on the demo recording was sparse and pre-programmed, and the song lay unfinished. Unitil now. 

Intoxicated with the excitement of finding the multi-track master of an UNRELEASED Eric Carmen demo, my good buddy Tommy Allen and I decided to finish the song. We added real drums, bass and guitars to Eric's original vocals (what a concept!)

After hearing the song for the first time in over a decade and as part of a new recording, Eric called it "absolutely GREAT!" adding, "It was great fun hearing it again and the guys did an incredible job with it."

A few painstaking months later we had a final mix, and "Never Say Die" got the chance to live up to its name.

The final credits on the track include: Tommy Allen (drums/percussion), Billy Branigan (bass, guitars/keyboards), Paul Carbonara (guitars/keyboards) and me (guitars).

Bernie

3 people like this

That was beautiful- thank you for sharing!! Hate it was never released - really great!!

2 people like this

You'll find a lot of treasures in the older threads, Pam.  Just because Tony Cartmill says I'm in the Miss Heard Lyrics Hall of Fame doesn't mean it's true. I Googled that!

Bernie posted the lyrics to "Cindy in the Wind", lovely song, and some of us supposed Mr. Carmen was overly critically. It wasn't actually pressed, but I wish it had been. Maybe it will. I used to sing it in my apartment. Sounds much like "Walk Away Renee" (both Left Banke and Carmen did it separately) and I wished I had filed every word in Notepad.

2 people like this

Bernie, is there anyway that I can download the song to my laptop and put it in my iTunes folder?  I would gladly pay for it if it were on iTunes.  I have a mac and am by no means an expert.  Thanks for any help that you could offer me with saving this gem.

On a Mac you can simply "Save As." Anyone know how to do the same on a PC?

Bernie