Sign in to follow this  
Sousa

Where is everyone tonight?

ter2   

we did manage to purchase a few....got really excited when we saw the first number 4, being a match to our first number - it was all downhill after that!

20 hours ago, Sousa said:

Is everyone out purchasing Powerball tickets??

- 

• Like 2

Sousa   

ter2,

Sadly, I didn't win either. I'd be happy with 100K :D

That was crazy money wasn't it??  If it were me, after I took care of my family, the majority of it would go into a charitable trust so that we could make donations and help people in need, anonymously. The larger gifts would go to The Veteran's, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Alzheimer's Association...so many needs out there.

It was fun dreaming though, wasn't it? 

• Like 3

ter2   

We were just talking about something similar at work today.  A co-worker said there was a couple who had won millions in her hometown, and they have really given back to their community - as well as donating to research for an illness that had affected one of their family members.  Very cool!

My husband always states that he will take a lesser prize!!  

• Like 2

AnneNR   

I have always thought it was better to get a lump sum, then get the Feds outta the way when they have their hand out, then set the money aside in several banking or holding institutions until I could get counseling on how best to disperse and/or spend it as I found necessary.  Any state could go bankrupt tomorrow, and you'd not get your specified amount every week, month, or year ever again.  Plan ahead if you want to play the game.

I think finding charities to give to that need assistance (anonymously and without grandiose pomp and circumstance) is a reward all unto itself.  I don't understand those wanting to make a big show of giving monetary assistance to organizations needing it, and in fact, I am sick to death of commercials showing sick, bald-headed children and their sniffling, weeping parents, plugging the medical facilities that are helping them just to pull at our heart strings to get us to give.

I am saying right now, that if it takes graphic pictures of mangled animals, sick children and heartbroken parent(s) to get anyone to consider giving to others who have need, then you are one sick individual yourself!  I think that no matter where you are on the financial scale, there will always be others less fortunate than yourself, and whenever an opportunity presents itself that you know you can help with, in either your valuable time or what funds you may have to spare, you should be able to do it without the circus parade of those undignified commercials begging for funding from anyone they can guilt into giving.

Giving to others in need should come with the territory of living everyday.  It would be nice to win something as large as the lottery to enable one to have more opportunities to do good with it beyond taking care of our own basic needs and wants.

AnneNR 

• Like 2

Sousa   
7 hours ago, AnneNR said:

I think finding charities to give to that need assistance (anonymously and without grandiose pomp and circumstance) is a reward all unto itself.

AnneNR 

Exactly, I love doing things anonymously, I don't ever want to be thanked or in the spot light. In fact, when I've done something for someone who knows me and they offer to "pay me back", I always tell them... to help someone else down the road, when they are in a position to.

My husband is a Veteran, my Dad had Alzheimer's and I love that St. Jude's hospital takes care of children with cancer at no charge to the family.

My son is a bilateral amputee above the knee...if I ever won crazy money like that, I'd love to purchase a track chair for every Veteran that became disabled.

https://www.google.com/search?q=track+chair&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbg9Sa_K_KAhVG7SYKHTDMCbUQ7AkIPw&biw=1680&bih=917

There are people in my own community that can't afford an operation or lost everything in a house fire, I WISH I could help everyone, but, what I'm able to do is make gift baskets for fundraising events and do what I can on a small scale.

I saw this online and thought it was a great idea. Attached is a picture of a ziplock bag with a toothbrush and toothpaste, some snacks, gloves, socks and a $5.00 bill. A woman and her daughter keep a few in their car and when they encounter someone in need, they give them a bag.

I enjoy hearing about people like that woman and her daughter more than a multimillionaire giving a donation for a tax deduction.

Sue

Blessing Bag.jpg

• Like 3

AnneNR   

Let me clarify one thing that may not have come off very well in my post above --- I am grateful for St. Jude's Children's Hospital (I remember when Danny Thomas was alive and was it's champion), Wounded Warriors, Cancer Treatment Centers of America, and many others.  My objection is the advertising they have been talked into doing that is humiliating and undignified to those who are in need of their help.

We as the American public should not need such imagery to compel us through visual emotional solicitations to get us to help support their efforts.  I believe the commercials could be done better without a "dog and pony" show.

I am fortunate: my youngest brother who was in the military is physically whole and uninjured from his years of service to our country.  And I am thankful that there are places for him to go should anything become a burden in his mental faculties that he would need help with.   But graphic advertising for these worthwhile institutions seems unnecessary to me, but that is my opinion.

I like to hear about these stories, too, without knowing who they are.  Just that someone is doing it.  This is the better part of the human experience.

AnneNR

• Like 2

Sousa   

Hey AnneNR, I totally understood what you were saying, I mentioned some of my favorites because I have had personal experiences with them. You are right, some of the imagery is extreme and I too have a hard time watching it. I also have a hard time on FB with everyone these days putting up pictures of abused animals, it makes me sick to see the things that sick bastards do to animals and I'd seriously like to take a baseball bat to these people.

I love hearing what the Wounded Warriors Project advertises that they are doing for the Vet's, but, I've heard about their finances and what small amount of their donations actually goes to the Vet's as opposed to their CEO, consequently, they're not on my donation list. I wish that they helped the amount of Vet's they advertise that they are.

I also love hearing stories about nameless, faceless people out there doing it.

A friend of mine was heart broken at the recent loss of her Dad and couldn't imagine how she was going to get through Christmas. She was a friend since H.S. and tried to encourage me when I lost my Mom at age 13... she was hoping that I might have an answer for her. I told her the best way to get through this is to help and focus on someone else.  I told her to talk to the Pastor at her church, ask if there's a family in need and be their Secret Santa. She did and I believe she received more joy, in helping them, than the family she helped get through Christmas received! I think she intends to continue being a nameless, faceless person out there doing it. ;D

Hugs, Sue

• Like 1