Raspbernie

Joan Jett Talks Eric's Guitar

New Joan Jett interview in this month's Guitar World in honor of her Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction:

"I was looking for a lighter guitar because my Les Paul was heavy and it was starting to hurt my shoulder. They heard that Eric Carmen, who played in this great power pop band called the Raspberries, was selling his Melody Maker and thought it would be perfect for me and they were right. I put a Velvet Hammer pickup in it, and it became my number-one guitar and the Les Paul became my backup. I didn't really know the history of the guitar and I started wondering whether it was the one Eric used on their classic songs like "Go All The Way." Much later I found out it was.

"I used that Melody Maker on "I Love Rock 'N' Roll," "Crimson and Clover," "Do You Wanna Touch Me" and "Bad Reputation," so it has quite a history. Not only was it on all our hits, but it was used on all the Raspberries hits as well. I recently took it off the road, because I was afraid something was going to happen to it. The white paint is all cracked and it's sort of yellowing, but in an awesome way. That's my baby."

The "they" Joan is referring to in the second sentence is her roadies. In particular, a guy lots of us have come to know—Kevin Dugan. Dougie was an original Raspberries roadie who worked with the Runaways after Raspberries called it quits. He helped get the guitar for Joan from Eric.

And the rest is history.

Bernie

Front Sleeve.jpg

• Like 14

AnneNR   

Gosh, Bernie! 

Great story, and I'm glad the guitar is still in use with someone who cares so much about it.  However, I do want to note  (with no disrespect for Ms. Jett intended as I appreciate some of her music )  that Mr. Eric Carmen really handled the guitar playing much better, eliciting more . . . exuberance perhaps?  And doing so with more confidence, style and presence with just comparing the two performances you posted here.

Lucky Ms. Jett for having such a unique piece of music history in her possession.  :dry:

AnneNR

6  6
__/

• Like 4

Batman   

Little did the lutier who made that guitar know of what an impact it would be making after it left the factory! Great story.

• Like 3

Batman   

Sorry gang, I meant "luthier", a maker of strings like violins, violas, and guitars. A "Lutier" was a French automobile from around 1907!!!  Thank you, Wikipedia!!!

• Like 2

Susie,

That's one of Joan's copies of Eric's guitar. The original had two humbucker pickups and a different configuration of knobs.

Here's an early live video of Joan playing Eric's guitar. And a video of Eric playing that same guitar for comparison.

Bernie