Sign in to follow this  
ira

Bobby Vee Fights on...

ira   

Bobby Veeis someone I refer to constantly as a "work friend"....we'd meet at work..at his job...his concerts... and he would always embrace me and talk and bring me backstage....and always if he was in a 100 mile radius I would go to the show...and his words were..."I knew you'd be here".

I always joked that this guy who was truly a teen idol...was humbler than me and I ain't a bad guy..but he was almost saintly to friends family and fans.

Here's a history and update on Bobby's struggle with Alzheimer's...

Please read It,,,it's really touching.

http://www.inforum.com/variety/music/3670119-bobby-vees-music-lives-help-family-and-some-high-profile-fans

• Like 2

ter2   

Thanks for sharing this Ira - what a neat connection you have with Bobby Vee!

I have heard of Bobby Vee - know some of his songs - yet maybe didn't know he was the artist who sang those particular songs...

.I didn't know he was from "my neck of the woods", or that his family is in St. Cloud, or the connection with Bob Dylan!  That was very worth learning!  Sad that another great singer is fighting the Alzheimers fight....

Here's one of the hits!

and that Bob Dylan cover of Suzie Baby

• Like 3

ira   

Thanks Ter..

Bobby's becoming a pop star WAS a great move for him career-wise and financialy AND inevitable..BUT he's a Rockabilly guy...and later in his career he did more stuff like this on CD and in his shows...

Here's a great one from his CD.."Down The Line" featuring lesser known Buddy holly stuff..

Enjoy!!

• Like 2

ter2   

"Tell Me How"  is a beautiful song!  What an amazing voice Bobby Vee has!

The "clone" does a pretty good job -  another great tune, too!

Fun listening on a cold, wintry day!   :)

and I'm feeling a little bit bad that I didn't remember how many hits he had!  

Once I listened to this one, I remembered it is a favorite of the hubby's.....

also didn't realize he sang "More Than I Can Say" - I only knew the Leo Sayer version! (and also learned it was first by the Crickets!)  

and so, my music education continues!!

Terri

• Like 1

AnneNR   

Regarding "Go Away Little Girl", I always preferred the Steve Lawrence version, and that was way before Donnie Osmond. This is another one of those songs, that depending on the era of the singer and societal norms, or the way a singer delivers the song, it could be someone expressing a need to be chivalrous, or it could really sound creepy. . . .

. . . And Ira, because you seem to be well known to Mr. Vee, has anyone ever mentioned a Dr. Daniel Amen, whose done some marvelous research into reversing brain damage done to athletes who have had concussions, and people with progressing Alzheimer's??

I have watched lengthy hours of PBS programming in which he details some changes in specific decisions to altering your dietary intake for a laundry list of certain supplements' benefits that help reverse some things and improve memory and correct areas within the brain with new connectivity and memory function.

There is also the works of Dr. David Perlmutter similarly helping people with prevention and better choices to keep one's brain and body functioning optimally.  I have also viewed many PBS program hours when Dr. David Perlmutter was speaking.

It breaks my heart to hear about those succumbing to Alzheimer's when a lot is preventable.  Heck, it has just recently been confirmed that we can regenerate brain cells and tissue, whereas for many years they (scientific community) thought it was not possible.  (Always sounded silly to me, though, because of all the brain cells being damaged or killed off by college students with all the alcohol consumption --- no joke! --- and all those grads didn't end up with Dementia or Alzheimer's after finishing college).

Have any of the family members looked into what either of these doctors have to say on the subject that could help Mr. Vee at all??

Concerned---

Anne

• Like 1