Sign in to follow this  
ira

Hooked On Dr. Hook

ira   

I expect this thread to bomb with very few views and comments...BUT listen to Dr. Ira about Dr. Hook..

This crazy band excelled at Country...Shel Silverstien Novelty Tunes....Funk...Disco...Rock...

We all remember Ray Sawyer...the guy with the patch...

BUT Dennis Locorrierre of New Jersey WAS the voice of Dr. Hook !

If this tune don't move you...You're probably fakin' that you're alive!!!

(...BTW...If ya wanna get hooked on Dr. Hook...go to Amazon and purchase...Dr. Hook Greatest Hooks on Capitol!)

Tell me how you liked "Years From Now"..

• Like 7

susie b   

If it was someone other than Ira who posted this Dr. Hook song, in all honesty, I would have never have stopped to listen.

I just don't care for Dr. Hook.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by this song.

Not what I expected from this band...at all.

Funny thing...Dennis L. is not the face I had always visualized in my mind to match the Dr. Hook voice.

Nice pick, Ira.

• Like 1

ira   

birdy.....Susie..seriously...go to youtube..they were somehow more than a druggie band.."Sharin' The Night Together"..."Better Love"..."Only 16"...and Dennis Locorriere was a GREAT lead singer..

• Like 4

Nancy   

I grew up listening to Dr. Hook spin on my sister's record player!.....This tune is very sweet!.......Sylvia's mother

is my favourite song from him....and I'm only too happy to make my comment and say I enjoyed the view! Thanks

for sharing it Ira..... :)

~~~Nancy.~~~

• Like 3

ira   

My Girl.. NOTHING gives me more pleasure than turning people on to a piece of music that makes 'em FEEL..

• Like 2

Nancy   

For those of you who may be un-sure! Try listening to this one (Sylvia's Mother) from Dr.Hook And The Medicine

Show! It still gets me kind of teary eyed listening to it today! Not to also mention a lovely tune....

~~~Nancy.~~~

• Like 4

susie b   

I have listened, and I can appreciate what you guys like about this band.

They just aren't my bag, although I do like the song in Ira's first post.

With the exception of that song, Dennis L's voice doesn't hit the mark for me.

Like any art, music is subjective...that's why there are so many different bands & artists.

There is a band for every taste.

The exceptions, of course, we ALL dig EC & Brian Wilson!!!!!

:)

• Like 1

Nancy   

Thanks for listening, away.  If "we" all liked or loved the same things, there would be no creativity or a world  

of different types of music out there for our ears to listen too! Not to also mention, variety!....In fact...."we'd

all be boring!....... :)

~~~Nancy.~~~

• Like 3

ira   

Great to hear from you Bessie..I agree..Love this tune..Hook could be lecherous AND romantic like no other band..

• Like 4

marlene   

I absolutely LOVE Dr. Hook! From their silly antics onstage to the tender love songs Dennis Locorriere sang so beautifully. 

I've been lucky enough to see them several times over the years, and had a blast each time.

Dennis is living in England these days, and I understand is going to begin a "world tour" soon!!! I hope there are some US dates scheduled......I'd definitely travel to see him again.  :)

Just a couple of my favorites..I Don't Wanna Be Alone Tonight and More Like the Movies. :wub:

• Like 2

ira   

Just got that Greatest Hooks C.D. Marlene and I hadn't heard "More Like The Movies "...I agree...great tune!

• Like 2

marlene   

The exceptions, of course, we ALL dig EC & Brian Wilson!!!!!

:)

Well....we all dig EC.  ;)  BW, not so much for me...

• Like 2

ira   

Dig this Live 50's medley..I'd forgotten how stoned out Dennis Locorrere was back then..when you watch him in later stuff...He's a different guy..BUT apparently...The whole

group sang REAL good..Watch Thiis!

• Like 4

ter2   

I probably am one of those who haven't given Dr. Hook much thought....but looking at this thread and being reminded of some of his tunes has been fun! I never knew a face to put with the name either! (Unique voice,though!)

Sounds like he is a fun act to see....still thinking we need some 70s groups to get a little group tour a goin'.......

I will give them a little more credit!  (Sylvia's Mother is a sweet song, and I do like it, but have been known to sing it out loud in a whiny voice, not sounding good, whatsoever! That just came from hearing it too much on the radio, at an age when I couldn't appreciate the emotion!)

• Like 4

birdy   

Yes, Ira, I did my homework. I love Sharing the Night Together and Only 16 and remember them both fondly from my childhood. I didn't know they were Dr Hook songs! And thank God, Dennis didn't end up in the Tragic Rockers list.

• Like 3

marlene   

Back in their earlier days, when I first saw them, they were a bit different...a little crazier, rough around the edges, and I'm sure, higher than a kite. 

I still always loved the passion in this song..."Carry me, Carrie".  

(Dennis is hardly recognizable !!) 

• Like 4

ira   

Marlene...I just watched this video earlier today...and then you  posted "Come On Carrie "..from Shel Silverstein's Houseboat.

Dennis and crew appear stoned out of their minds...

.Look at the difference today in this 2014 interview with Dennis..

Hey I used to smoke like a fiend...and now I can't remember my last Twinkie and/or cheeseburger..

I too am glad Dennis is alive and prospering... B)..

(BTW..I kinda thought this thread would go nowhere..I never realized HOW much Dr. Hook...especially Dennis Locorrierre's voice.. touched all of us...)

• Like 2

marlene   

I read a Blog entry by Dennis a few months ago, where he said:

" Some people have watched me go from Bigfoot in an overcoat to Mr Romance in eyeliner. Let's hope I've settled somewhere compromisingly recognizable, huh?"

It made me laugh, because, as you can see looking at the videos that have been posted on this tread, he wasn't too far off the mark! :D

• Like 3

ira   

Marlene..as we all know...singers are like athletes...if ya don't take care of your God-Given Gift...the natural aging process and years of smoking drinking and drugs can do this....

I recently posted a thread about older acts that are still great LIVE...

Unfortunately...it looks like Ray Sawyer of Dr. Hook...ain't one of them... :( .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1