James

Chicago Show

James   

I think it was January 15, 2005...or so.  It's been 10 years.  Unbelievable that 10 years has passed.  I remember a bunch about that show.

I remember being relatively new here, I remember the afternoon of the show cleaning my bookshelves (don't ask me why I remember this)...

I remember the night being extremely cold, I remember (as opposed to most here) liking The Drysdales, I remember being so friggin fired up waiting for the Raspberries to hit the stage...like a little kid on Christmas Eve, I remember crying when Bernie's film segged  into the 2005 version of the band jamming the chords of "I Wanna Be With You", (how great was that opening!...) I remember kinda falling in love with Jennifer Lee.

I remember being floored that I was actually seeing these guys. I became a freako in 1976, after the break-up, so I never fathomed I'd see the band. I remember thinking how lucky I was to have happened onto ec.com cuz without this site I would have never known the band was playing Chicago (where I lived) and thus would have missed the boat completely.

Lastly I remember only having my heiny pinched 8 times in the crowded room (that's low for me).

:)

You guys?

• Like 7

susie b   

Didn't know about the website then, but I remember taking a cab to the HOB on that frigid Chicago night.

Quite a show! 

I think I still have the concert ad from either The Reader or New City.

• Like 2

darlene   

I would have loved to have been at the Chicago show. I went to all the others I could when I wasn't playing.  They blew the roof off my mind and heart! :) I think we ALL had the exact same reaction to both breakups, and then Eric's absence from the live music scene for so many years. BUT, I kept the dream alive in my heart, thrilled to seeing Eric on the Dirty Dancing tour and my heart burst with pride as I saw him for the first time in so many years touring with Ringo!  Seeing them on the same stage, I thought, "That's exactly where he belongs--with a BEATLE!" :)  But nothing topped the insanely exciting moment when that video screen went up and THERE THEY WERE, JUST LIKE IN 1971, singing I WANNA BE WITH YOU, MY FAVORITE RASPERRIES SONG! I was standing up, heart pounding, tears streaming down my face, both hands behind my back, one holding Marvin's hand, one holding Marlene's, and wanted to scream but couldn't, because like everyone else, I just wanted to HEAR them!!!!

WHAT a moment! For me it wasn't Chicago, it was Cleveland.

• Like 7

It definitely ranks in my top 10 concerts ever.I do remember how cold it was-the parking garage was full when we got there and we had to park a few blocks away and walk. I went with a friend(the show was about 2 weeks before Gina and I started dating) who used to go to Elvis Brothers shows with me and when the Drysdales came on,he said "doesn't that drummer look familiar." I looked over and saw my favorite drummer, Brad Elvis.I had lost track of Brad after the break up of Big Hello and this show was the first I heard of his new (and current)band the Handcuffs. Then the Raspberries were everything I could have hoped for after waiting to see them since they were my favorite band in high school.

• Like 3

sllvnbil   

In my opinion,, the Chicago show was my favorite show of the whole tour. I know I've posted this before,,, ironically,,, , who knew that I would be living here in Chcago ten years later. Every Tuesday night that I'm off the road w the Hermits,, I drive past the Chicago HOB on my way to the Redhead Piano Bar for my gig. It always puts a smile on my face because it takes me right back to that cold night when the Raspberries ripped the roof off the place. I always said this,, and to the guys after the last song,,, that night was the greatest show I've ever played and experienced in my whole career.

• Like 5

It was a GREAT show, Billy! I remember thinking the roof was gonna literally come off the place. It was so cold outside, but so hot on stage! One of the best shows I have ever seen!

Bernie

• Like 2