Sign in to follow this  
ter2

Hello from Minnesota

ter2   

A great college town indeed! At times, has had some what of a reputation as a lot of colleges do!  You are lucky Scott,  to live so close to the Twin Cities musical venues, festivals, etc.  Everything for me involves a late drive home - or an overnight - even with my husband, the drive after an enjoyable concert is getting harder as we are getting older....can't even blame the weather - just fatigue!

I have to pay more attention to who comes to play in Minnesota also - last summer, we happened upon a last minute realization that the Goo Goo Dolls were playing a festival in Wayzata - that was fun, and very pretty along Lake Minnetonka. 

We may have to recruit some more Minnesotans! I'm sure there are more EC fans out here!

Terri

• Like 1

Oh, Terri, I agree.  We need more EC fans to login here. 

That was a great setting for a concert, Hon.  Lake Minnetonka is so picturesque.  I saw Brian Wilson in Apple Valley last Summer at an outdoor amphitheater. It was the third time I've seen one of his concerts and it was a great show.

We can also visit some place that's very meaningful to EC fans and Eric himself.  The home of F. Scott Fitzgerald is on Summit Ave in St. Paul.  I've taken the tour of this home and several other mansions like it in that neighborhood and they are all just incredible.

It's nice to have another Minnesota EC fan here, Terri.  Let's find some more.

Scott

• Like 1

susie b   

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the heads up on the house sale. 

For our fellow Fitzgerald fans and preservationists, here is a little background on the house:

F. Scott Fitzgerald House

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
F. Scott Fitzgerald House.jpg
The F. Scott Fitzgerald House, one unit of a rowhouse
F. Scott Fitzgerald House is located in Minnesota

Location599 Summit Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Coordinates17px-WMA_button2b.png44°56′29.5″N 93°7′30.5″W / 44.941528°N 93.125139°W / 44.941528; -93.125139Coordinates: 17px-WMA_button2b.png44°56′29.5″N 93°7′30.5″W / 44.941528°N 93.125139°W / 44.941528; -93.125139
Built1889
ArchitectWilliam H. Willcox and Clarence H. Johnston, Sr.
Architectural styleLate Victorian
Governing bodyPrivate
Part ofHistoric Hill District (#76001067)
NRHP Reference #71000440
Significant dates
Added to NRHPNovember 11, 1971[1]
Designated NHLNovember 11, 1971[2]

The F. Scott Fitzgerald House, also known as Summit Terrace, in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States, is part of a rowhouse designed by William H. Willcox and Clarence H. Johnston, Sr. The house, at 599 Summit Avenue, is listed as a National Historic Landmark for its association with author F. Scott Fitzgerald. The design of the rowhouse was called the "New York Style", where each unit was given a distinctive character similar to rowhouses in eastern cities.[3] Architecture critic Larry Millett describes it as "A brownstone row house that leaves no Victorian style unaccounted for, although the general flavor is Romanesque Revival."[4] The Fitzgerald house is a brownstone two bays wide, with a polygonal two-story window bay on the right, and the entrance, recessed under a round arch that is flush with the bay front, on the left. At the mansarded roof level there is a gable with two round-arch windows and decorative finials.[5]

Fitzgerald's parents, Edward and Mollie, moved back to St. Paul in 1914 while F. Scott Fitzgerald was a student at Princeton University. They lived in the unit at 593 Summit Avenue for a while, then moved to the 599 Summit Avenue unit in 1918. In July and August 1919, Fitzgerald rewrote the manuscript that became his first novel, This Side of Paradise.[4] He lived here until January 1920, writing short stories, and then moved to New Orleans. Of the several places the Fitzgeralds lived, this one is most closely associated with his literary fame, and typifies the environments of some of his later works.[5]

It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1971.[2][5] It is also a contributing property to the Historic Hill District, listed in 1976.[6]

• Like 1

ter2   

Thanks for the heads up! I will go buy my powerball ticket!

Seriously, it is a beautiful home! The area there is also beautiful - love just driving around, in awe, whenever I am in the area and have a little extra time! 

Love the archway between rooms in the pictures - thanks, Susie for the links!

Terri

• Like 2