susie b

Fantasy Recording Sessions

susie b   

Hi!

As I was selecting my work tunes playlist today, I had an idea. This is the season when people create their fantasy football teams, so why not have a fantasy recording session? Who would be in your musical "lineup" to work with Mr. Carmen? Musicians, composers, singers, producers...whomever you want...dead or alive...no label restricting politics!

Just to start the session, I have selected....Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Brian Wilson, Gene Clark, Michelle Phillips, Denny Doherty, & Tommy Erdelyi!

Have FUN!!!!

Susie

:)

• Like 6

Took me a bit to think about my selections.  Nice post, Susie!

My picks are: Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Steven Sondheim, Steve Marriott, Brian Wilson, Stevie Nicks, Daryl Hall, and Jim Bonfanti.

;)

• Like 5

LC   

Good topic, SusieB. And since I dig fantasy football, I'm in.

Let's see, I'd want a lineup that would feature Paul McCartney (it's high time he and Eric got together) on bass, Eric on keyboards, Lindsey Buckingham,on lead guitar, Karl Wallinger (see World Party thread) and Jeff Lynne on rhythm guitars, and Ringo on drums. In fact, I'd recruit Dave Grohl for drums, too, because Eric likes double drummers (and because I love Grohl's enthusiasm on all those jams we see...),

I'd request that my supergroup play "Surfin' USA." "I Get Around," and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" (Beach Boys), "TIcket to Ride," The Two of Us," "Hey Jude," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," and "The End" (Beatles), "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Band on the Run" (McCartney), "Instant Karma" (Lennon), "Roll Over Beethoven" (ELO style) and "Rockaria" (ELO), and "Ship of Fools" (World Party) and "LIke a Rolling Stone" (World Party did a great cover years ago), "Go Your Own Way" and "The Chain" (Fleetwood Mac), and, of course, "Go All the Way," "Tonight," "Overnight Sensation," and "Boats Against the Current."   

And what the heck -- as long as it's a fantasy session, I'd call in Keith Richards, Joe Walsh, and Wally Bryson for extra guitar muscle and get 'em going on "Gimme Shelter," "Paint It Black," "Brown Sugar," and "Life's Been Good." And to sweeten my fantasy, I'd clear the stage for, yes, Stevie Nicks, who would sing lead on "Storms," "Rhiannon," "Landslide," and "Edge of Seventeen." Oh yeah! 

Then I'd take those 30 or so songs and get them streaming onto Pandora so all the artists could make a few dollars. :)

How'd I do? 

• Like 5

redd   
On 10/14/2014 at 11:06 AM, Cayennegirl said:

Took me a bit to think about my selections.  Nice post, Susie! My picks are: Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Steven Sondheim, Steve Marriott, Brian Wilson, Stevie Nicks, Daryl Hall, and Jim Bonfanti.

Dearest c-girl,

Awww, so sweet of you to include Daryl (Hall) - you KNOW I soooo love his voice ;)

Can we throw in Todd Rundgren for good measure?!

GREAT, GREAT topic Susie, thank you!

redd :)

• Like 2

susie b   

Hi LC,

WOW!

You did well!

I think your choices rank as a mega-super group.

Your album will be bringin' in the big bucks on Pandora...all 38 of them. :cool:

Thanks for playing the game! 

Susie

• Like 3

susie b   

For my next fantasy incarnation, I'm going to give Mr. Carmen more of a combo than an orchestra.

I know that these fellows will help him achieve his musical vision:

James Burton,  "The Master of the Telecaster"
Joe Osborn
Buddy Rich & Gene Krupa  (for your double drums)

Maybe throw in Monster from the Muppets for a drum triple threat!

Or we could go the other direction and give him access to anyone he wants from "The Wrecking Crew"

• Like 1

Nobody has Jim Bonfanti has their dream drummer? The man is a drumming god!

I'd add Eric and Macca, of course. Both have sweet, powerful voices that can switch to blood-curdling rocker in a millisecond, and both can give me the heavy piano my soul needs. Sir Paul, of course, is the world's dream bassist. Eddie Van Halen on guitar — not much of a Van Halen fan, but Eddie's mastery of his instrument is absolutely seductive. Kelly Clarkson, whose voice I think would be a nice complement to Eric's and Sir Paul's — and because I simply like her. :) And, like LC said, since it's a DREAM, let's throw in Wally Bryson.

Cheryl

P.S. Just noticed Jim on yours, Cayenne. Sorry 'bout that! (Great minds think alike. ;) )

P.P.S. I'm adding in a bagpiper to nourish the Scots part of my soul. Both Eric and Macca have worked with pipers, right? 

Difficult topic ... it looks like most of the ground has been covered ... might want to bring in Leonard Bernstein to do arranging.  As an aside, I seem to recall that Hal Blaine (Wrecking Crew - "Be My Baby") was the drummer in one of Eric's sessions during the brief time he was a solo artist on Epic between Cyrus Erie and Raspberries.

• Like 1

Kirk   

Ok, I'll play...Eric, Todd Rundgren, Tom Petty, Mike McBride and Jim Bonfanti, Brian Wilson, and Scott McCarl.  I can almost hear that sound in my head.

• Like 1