AnneNR

Gene Simmons: "Rock Is Finally Dead"

MikeC   

Another album concept idea is to have one currently famous artist, with two songs, and the rest of past songs of other artists. This saves new recording expenses for every artist. And the unknown artist could use an online music app. if they can't afford to record in a studio. Just agreements are needed with the music labels, and voila, ce ca,- There, that's all.

• Like 1

MikeC   

Yes, Susie, Brava!

And the album concept would be different genres. This way, you are bringing Rock back to the forefront, by the other currently famous artists who talk about the artists, from the past, who influenced them and their own music, today.

That movie Galaxy of The....brought back former songs, and was a hit Album. And customers who go to these artists concerts can get a CD or Download for, let's say $5.00. Or charge, a regular CD price or higher, like $12.00  to $16.00 for a reasonable price, with several artists and genres on the same album. Some movie tickets go over $20.00 when there is a screening of a 3-D movie. I saw $26.00 at the huge IMAX screen, once. 

Artists can promote each album, at separate concerts on their own, or with other artists at the same concert.

• Like 2

LC   

Way to go, Taylor Swift! Spotify has been totally taking advantage of too many artists. When someone at the very top of her game, and currently at the top of the music field, pushes back, things can change. Here's hoping Spotify starts sharing some of that $29 million bonus money the company's head honcho took home last year. 

BTW, I bought Taylor's new CD a couple weeks ago for my daughters, and I've listened to it closely enough to give it a definitive thumb's up. Her songwriting is getting better and better, her singing is exceptional, and the sound is as good as it gets. It's one of those rare recordings that both my daughters and I agree on....

• Like 5

MikeC   

You Tube announced $9.99  music each month. Listen to a song, an album, concerts, etc. And just in time for Charitable giving, (Chrities to receive concert proceeds), Taylor Swift and others are prepariing for The Jingle Ball Christmas Concert at The Staples Center, on Dec. 5th, with Capitol Records signed band, 5 Seconds Of Summer, Pharell Williams,etc. 5 Seconds Of Summer were popular on Youtube, long before signing up. They say they are a band that can play, not just a boy band, trying to look good, or just being a comodityto sell music, with real talent. And many more solo artists.

Another Big Charity Event to follow the first event.

What someone said are the biggest bands in the world will perform at The Inglewood Forum. The Foo Fighters (Ghrol and company) have an obligation, too far away, to make it back in time. The Almoust Accoustic show to feature , over two days:

Dec. 13th: Linkin Park, Incubus, Fall Out Boy, System Of A Down, Walk The Moon, Royal Blood, and New Politics

Dec. 14th: U2, Weezer, Imagon Dragons, Interpol,  Modest Mouse, Smashing Pumpkins, Vance Joy, Alt J, and Tears For Fears.

• Like 2

susie b   

Went to fetch Dad's mail from the PO box yesterday and saw that Taylor Swift is the cover girl of the latest issue of Time magazine.

The cover title is The Power of Taylor Swift.

Haven't had a chance to read the article yet, but I hope it talks about her Spotify boycott.

• Like 2

MikeC   

Way to go, Taylor!

There are more Jingleball tour concerts in various cities. Taylor is also scheduled, also, on Dec.12th. Tickets have been selling very quickly, over the last few weeks. Some seats are beyond the side view of the stage. And some at the back of the stage are available.

More concerts, with various artists: Nov. 30th, Dec. 2, 5, 8, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 21 and 22.

• Like 2

And Garth Brooks weighs in.

"YouTube; oh my god," Brooks began. "They claim they pay people, [but] they're not paying anything, either. People get millions and millions and millions and millions of views, and they don't get squat. Trust me. Songwriters are hurting. So, I applaud Miss Taylor and I applaud everyone for standing up for the songwriters, because without them, music is nothing."

Cheryl

• Like 3

MikeC   

It is sad that the writers and singers don't get paid. I hope the new change at youtube was brought about, partly by Garths' meeting with them. And that the $9.99 monthly fee will send money to the artists.

The future of one portion of the entertainment is projected to be 91 billion dollars, by 2015. That's the video game market. Supposedly, now, 11 countries bring in 1 billion dollars each year.

The top entertainment money maker is not from any one movie, any artist, actor/ actress or any music band. The top all-time entertainment world record breaker is a video game. But, that industry does ongoing advertising for the same game, each year. Then, another game the next year.

The music industry could advertise their album or song on the video game package, or before the game begins, near the beginning of each game. Or advertise concerrs, like this way- "Buy Rock Music". Celebrate all music, today. Enjoy a concert, or whatever the advertisement could be.

Or, music artists can make a video game, or games with different genres, People can hear a song, or more songs as the game is played. And be included in the most popular form of entertainment. Or, really, what people buy more of, which are the video games.

Ironically, the music artists can get music interest back to an audience, without depending on record labels to do that.

• Like 3

Nikki Sixx chimed in on Ultimate Classic Rock in an interview written up by Jeff Giles, 11/21/14

Re Taylor Swift's boycott of Spotify --

..."any smart artist should know how to use the Internet," Sixx continued, "That being said, the pink elephant in the room is that YouTube is playing all of their music and they aren't getting paid for it. They are making even less money from YouTube than Spotify, so let's not just target Spotify here."

For that matter, argued Sixx, before everyone goes overboard trying to fix the problems with new media, they should take care not to forget that the old way of business had plenty of issues of its own — many of which are still hurting artists.

"A big unaddressed issue (and more important, in my opinion) is that artists aren't getting paid because of a term called "breakage," he wrote. "That's where the record companies have equity or take advances from the different streaming companies and never recoup them. These artists should really be talking about that. But I think they may not know, or are afraid that their labels (or distribution companies) won't promote them if the tell that "dirty little secret."

Shady practices hurt veterans like Sixx, but they can inflict even deeper damage on younger artists' careers. "What are we doing to help new artists? We were all new artists once too," he pointed out. "We've been around long enough that we should be addressing these issues to help new artists; exposing the things that are more than just roadblocks, the things that are actually sinkholes."...

M.E.

• Like 3

MikeC   

Good observations, by Nikki.

The point I make is that with all the media, you have to advertise your product through them, too. This increases your sales, or concerts for fans. Use their success, to gain more success for the music that you want to promote.

But, still the movie industry is number one, because of more movies produced. Then video games. And books, which is about 36 billion dollars each year. Use all of these to promote music.

And I believe it is up to the artists, now, to change the way things are done, from the streaming sites, to the label, and little to the artists/ writers.

I realize that the video games cost a lot more  than an album. But, units sold might still be higher.If not, this is why video gaming is number one, now, because of the higher cost of the games being bought.

It looks like artists could avoid this breakage problem by starting their own record label, together. Maybe 50 artists, more or less.

But, they'll have to write some new songs, first. So, when a site pays their new and self-owned record label, the money goes back to the original writers and musicians. Before, it always skips the artists portion, reduced to very little royalties.

And, a new artist could also start their own label, too.The established artists might only record their friends songs, together. This way, the new artist doesn't have to depend on any other artist, if they aren't on a famous artists record label. So, they, too, would get money paid back to their own record label, and back to themselves, from the music streaming sites.

• Like 2