James   

...is as great a melodic popular song as there is for my taste.  Though we talk about it some here, it's an underrated gem....and a perfect song to open your solo career.

I remember the first time I listened to the Arista Eric Carmen album.  My older cousin had it and when I stayed with him and his wife for a few days when my family was vacationing, I pulled it from his record collection and listened to it.  I knew the 2 big hits, but none of the rest, and "Sunrise" was the song that struck me hardest at this first listen.  I remember thinking this dude (Eric Carmen) has really got it as there was a "3rd" song that was even better than the 2 big hits, both of which I thought were really good at the time (1976).   

So "Sunrise" probably was my main inspiration for going out and buying the album which begat me buying "Raspberries Best", then the 4 original Raspberries albums and through the years, everthing else as it was released.

Anyway.....

Eric, can you tell us about the writing of "Sunrise"?....was it a song you had in your back pocket that you decided fit as the opening song on your debut solo album?....or did you set out to write a good opener and "Sunrise" is what resulted?

• Like 3

James   

For the first year owning the debut album, "No Hard Feelings" was pretty much my favorite song on the album.  I'd love to hear insight into how that song was born and brought to vinyl life.  The intensity of the climax is one of my favorite segments of music -  it's as intense as anything out there.  Great rock & roll. 

James

• Like 1

Both good songs. "Great Expectations" appeals to my campy side. And the lyrics are sheer genius. They prove Eric's prowess as a lyricist. I love Dean Pitchford's work, but my favorites are the Eric-penned lyrics. 

I also love "Everything." Short and sweet ... and leaves me wanting more. It's almost as if it was the teaser for the "Boats Against the Current" album which, of course, delivered.

Cheryl

• Like 2

James   

Sometimes I think "Everything" is Eric Carmen's best song.  I agree with what you said Paper....I have to play it more than once to get my fix.  :)  It's a perfect melody, a perfect little song.  And "Great Expectations" is a really neat out-of-the-box song.

James

Kirk   

Hey James, your question has been floating around for awhile...

From what I remember, Eric acknowledges a nod to "Funeral For A Friend", however, the song was written to be a positive after the Raspberries split up. 

James   

Kirk !...you need to have some kind of official title on this site.  Moderator just isn't quite enough.  Maybe "Historian"....or "Dr. Encyclopedia"...or "#1 Fan"...

It's true, you do not have a harem (this is a definitely a point against you).....BUT, regarding Eric Carmen related posts, you probably bring more to this site than any of us members.

Now get out there and work on the harem thing...... and you will be a very well rounded dude!..

:)

• Like 2

Kirk   

About that harem...you'd just steal them anyway, so why bother!

James, for a fan like me, whose world revolved around Raspberries and Eric during the decade of the 70's, to be able to enjoy a connection with Eric through this website, concert appearances, and other social media is unbelievable!  I remember a time in the infancy of this website, when someone asked Bernie a question about Eric.  This was before Eric was posting on the website.  After some time went by without an answer to the question, I emailed Bernie and asked him if he would like me to answer the question.  Bernie replied with a definite "Yes"...he was happy to have someone else answer a question other than him!  So, I've answered more than a few questions on this website over the years, hopefully getting the facts straight, and not stepping on anybody's toes in the process.  I haven't been censored yet, so, so far, so good!     

• Like 1

Ah, Sunrise... what a wonderful piece of songwriting, from the introduction with its lovely timbres and unexpected chord changes and inversions, to the energetic verses with the beautifully executed vocal harmonies, to the bridge section with some of the harmonic material from the intro, to the awesome fade-out section that I wish lasted another two or three minutes.

• Like 1