Sign in to follow this  
paperdoll82

I Wanna Hear It From...

... well, your fingertips, I suppose. (Not nearly as catchy, is it?)

It's a question with "newbie" written all over it, and I looked this weekend to no avail. If there's a link—and I'm sure there probably is— just give me guidance, and I'll go delving some more, but ...

I want to hear the Eric/Bernie story. How did you two guys get acquainted? How did THIS community come to be? 

Cheryl

• Like 2

Long story, short.

I'm a lifelong fan of Eric's music. I got my first personal computer in 1997. I powered it up and searched the internet for things that interested me to see what was out there. When I typed in "Eric Carmen," the only "Carmen" that came up was the opera. So, I decided to start a website for him myself. When I met Eric a couple of years later, having a website was the thing to have, and Eric liked what I had built for him. The website gathered Eric's fans from the four corners of the globe, led to Eric recording a new CD, me writing a book, and the Raspberries reunion tour.

Whew! Now I need a nap.

Bernie

• Like 9

Great job Bernie, you did an honorable thing for and honorable artist.  It's a great place for fans to learn about the music and what makes a musician tick, the motivation, and all the ins and outs of the music industry and how it has changed over the years for better or worse.  I've never really followed a group or musician before and coming to this site has been both interesting and educational, and a really fun place to meet a few new folks in my life.  I have to admit though, that I do get the "tingles" when I see Eric online...lol.

Nevertheless, I am thankful to be included here.  I just hope I can contribute something of relevance for all to enjoy.

Hugs bugs :P

Teresa

• Like 5

Teresa: I've tried a few entertainment forums here and there in the past, but this is by far the best one I've seen. I think it's a little bit of everything — Bernie and Eric being helpful and refereeing when we need it, the moderators who assist them, and the fans. Even when I don't agree with someone's opinion, the discussion stays respectful (for the most part!), and we all seem to have our eye on the same prize. And I think Eric interacting makes it even more special.

Other entertainment forums I've been on have been fraught with hand-smackers who are ready to tear you down if you get one little thing wrong. And the old AOL forums (remember dial-up?) — mercy! One "Harry Potter" one for adults had a guy who would tear you apart if you called J.K. Rowling anything but "Ms. Rowling" or "Jo."

And there was a Paul McCartney one that had a gal who, in my armchair diagnosis, was certifiably insane. I see teasing about "my Eric" here, but that gal really THOUGHT Paul was HERS — with very, VERY salacious details! The moderators would ban her, and she'd come back a day or two later with a brand-new screen name and the same drivel.

Cheryl

• Like 5

Kirk   

I remember a time when Bernie, as well as some other long time fans, were on a quest to meet Eric.  Not too long after that, this website was started.  Eric  commented in an article how impressed he was with the work Bernie was doing, and then (kidding) said something like "Yeah, he's not some stalker—he's a great guy" or something to that effect.  From that humble start, this little labor of love has allowed us to get closer to Eric and his music than any of us ever dreamed.  It's been a great ride! 

• Like 5

birdy   

Hey Kirk, I'm surprised to see you on the "Newbie" thread. But you're more than welcomed here. The price for admission is EC enthusiasm. We aren't elitist. Great EC quote. Keep up the good work, Oldbie.

• Like 3

I remember the article Kirk mentioned...think Eric may have said Bernie isn't "psychotic."  I'm really so glad!

So, was it like this Honey-B?  ;)

• Like 1