ira

What Would You Do?

ira   

As I contemplate retirement...I only know for certain some of the things I WON'T do if I work at all at something else....

NO MORE MEETINGS!..NO MORE REPORTS...

What are some things you would do if your time was your own...and some of the things you hope to stop doing....?

( I get a little giddy as spring arrives..:) )

• Like 3

Ira, 

We are on the same page, because I will retire early next February.

I cannot wait for "no more meetings" as you've said.  I will think on this topic more myself and am interested in the responses of others as well. 

M.E.

• Like 2

I retired from the work force @43 not by choice, (auto accident).  I would do something maybe a little crazy, spontaneous or even a little risky!  Then find something you love to do and do it every day or at least frequently.  Find a hobby or do some volunteering, keep busy.  It's extremely important to keep the body and mind going, you can still learn new things even in your golden years.  Most important is to do the things you "LOVE" to do!

:spin:

• Like 1

I decided to go back to school to do something different. I can really relate to no more meetings and reports. I used to do accounting and I am now studying graphic design. I did not actually retire. I just got fed up one day and walked out in the middle of the afternoon. (I left my lunch sitting on my desk) Shows you how much I enjoyed that job.

• Like 6

Say whatever I want, without regard to who is offended or thinks I'm taking "the other side"!

For 27 years, I've listened to people give me their views while I smile sweetly and nod/shake my head. (And believe me, I've heard some idiotic notions.) It will be sooooooooo freeeeeeeeeeing to say,"You've GOT to be kidding me?!?!? Are you a moron?!?!?" Or "I agree 100 percent — let's do something about it!"

That — and sleep. ;)

Cheryl

• Like 5

AnneNR   

I don't really "understand" the concept of retirement in general.  I can't figure out where it came from.  I've pondered the subject from as early as even starting out in the workforce.

If you enjoy what it is you are doing, why would one want to stop doing it???  Perhaps it is the restrictions of others (authority, commerce-driven environment) that take the fun out of it, therefore it becomes understandable that you wouldn't want to do what you might enjoy because of all the hampering  ( I know more than one frustrated teacher who genuinely likes to teach personally ) after many years of it.

Or maybe some ( a great majority of the country's populace perhaps??) don't enjoy what they are doing in the first place and can't wait to be finished doing it --- or haven't found out what they really enjoy doing, so it ends up the same.

But if you find out what it is you enjoy doing, even if it is just what you retired from, you might want to make a list of stuff and pursue that at your OWN pace with your OWN guidelines as how you would like to go about experiencing those things without the 9 to 5 kind of regime applied.

Food for thought. . . . ;)

Happy retirement

AnneNR

• Like 1

I adore my JOB, and if it were the job alone, I'd never leave. I'd scale it back a bit, though. "Me" time or "family" time is so important.

The BS surrounding the job ... that's another matter. There are days I long to do what Adelia described. 

Cheryl

• Like 3

I adore my JOB, and if it were the job alone, I'd never leave. I'd scale it back a bit, though. "Me" time or "family" time is so important.

The BS surrounding the job ... that's another matter. There are days I long to do what Adelia described. 

Cheryl

That was exactly how I felt. But it was a response to a situation that I have yet to regret.

• Like 2

MikeC   

I would keep on working, writing, playing music.

Exercising. Passing on songs, if I was a famous person,

to new bands, or a band.

Writing funny stories. 

• Like 4

I'm a right brained person in a primarily left brained world.  I'm kind of a dreamer, though I have lots of mental energy, so it's been a challenge to focus on legal research and doing tasks I don't have a huge interest in.  I've been happy at my position for several years only because I've been involved in rebuilding N.O. after hurricane Katrina.  More later... :)

• Like 4

I still have several years before I can retire but when I do I will not miss my bean counting, accounting position. I will spend more time in my flower garden, enjoy my new granddaughter and work part time doing something "crafty".

Sherrie â¤ï¸

• Like 1

James   

In defense of accountants:

I am not an accountant but I do know accounting very well, and do a lot (all) of my company´s accounting.  So I understand the discipline/ profession more than most.

And IMHO the American accounting industry is on a very high level.  American accountants do an important job, have integrity..and do a great job overall.  I¨ve always been impressed with the "bean counters".  They are ridiculed (for some reason I don´t understant) but they really are a quality subset of the United States.  A great group of professionals.

Viva American accountants!!..

James

• Like 3

I truly wish I could have continued working until retirement age, I loved my job as an industrial sales rep for a plastics company.  I got to meet so many different people on a daily basis, and it was pretty neat touring manufacturing plants.  But the funnest part of my job was I spent a lot of time in my car driving along the highways (spent a lot of time around the Toronto area) always had the music blaring, the sunroof open singing my brains out...LOL.  I have since done some volunteering.  Now, I enjoy cooking, I love gardening and decorating.  I have a couple of reno projects on the go for this summer.  I really hate the winters up here though.  This year was especially brutal with temperatures hovering around -20c for a few months...ugh, couldn't get out for a winters day walk. But I do miss being around people like I was when I was working.  Maybe I will become a snowbird and get a place in Florida or Arizona for the winters.

• Like 5

I'm an introverted person by biology, whether the right brain/left brain dominance actually exists.  Introverted for me only means I need lots of down time for myself.  I'm not being selfish, it's just what I need to live.  Working with the Army Corps. has been satisfying for me after hurricane Katrina to be involved with rebuilding of N.O.  Otherwise, working with attorneys who are taught to argue for a living hasn't always been easy for me because I sometimes make decisions via intuition. 

#2 I'm looking forward to more freedom in my schedule; going to sleep later and getting up later which will put me back into my natural habitat.  :)

• Like 3

Ahhh, James.  :)

Thanks for the tribute to the American accountant.   Some times it is a thankless job and I really do get excited when 1 + 1 actually equals 2.   LOL   Believe it or not some times it doesn't! 

Have a great day, all!!

sherrie  B) 

• Like 3

ira   

Ya know it's time to consider retirement when you begin to feel this way at day's end at your "quarry"... :wacko: !!

• Like 4

Dr. M   

Hello ec community,

I have a number of years to go before retirement. While I find my work ultimately rewarding, I would gladly forego the frequent meetings, time consuming reports and office politics. In my conversations with others and reading the posts here I find that these are fairly common feelings that span careers and cross geographical boundaries.

I work full-time in health and am part-time university faculty as well. Were my time my own, I envision continuing to teach on an adjunct basis and becoming more involved with community development and children's health efforts on a more intimate level. I would also spend more time meditating late into the night and again in the dawn. These quiet times are so peaceful I find that I can think more clearly. But according to R. Burns (1786), The best laid schemes of mice and men...

In any case, heartiest congratulations to Ira, Cayennegirl and other ec members who may soon be entering this next phase of life.

ENJOY!

Dr M

• Like 4

Meditation is great when I can make time.  I like to use music from Hearts of Space to meditate rather than the usual background of bells, chimes or chanting.

Conversely, "Footloose" dancing from time to time can alleviate stress.  Just be careful where you decide to bust into dance.

#3 "Footloose" dance on my last day at work.  :)

• Like 3

Dr. M   

I don't generally meditate in the typical sense with chimes, chanting, incense or things of that nature. Of course those strategies are great if you like them. I just like time to think, watch shadows on the wall, watch my cat take a bath, look at an old black and white movies or catch up on animated shows like the Simpsons!

Cayenne after Feb, you'll be able "bust into dance" with Footloose whenever you like! I'm happy for you.

Dr M

• Like 2