ira

A Brand New Easter :)

ira   

Happy Easter to all my Christian friends...

Love this time of year...

Remember as a kid...

....Amusement parks open daily to take advantage of kids on spring break...and we kids loved it!

...Maybe we caught our first baseball game of the new season..

I LOVE this W.B. cartoon where Bugs gets conned into taking over the route from a VERY tired Easter Bunny...

No disrespect intended..It's just VERY funny!!! :D

Again...Happy Easter!!

• Like 6

Thanks Ira!

This day for Christians is our holiest as it signifies eternal life. Sadly, I’ve seen many places on the net (on posts, or a meme or statuses) where people are acting like this Holiday that we Christians cherish, is nothing but the brunt of a joke.

I believe (or hope) that people don’t mean harm or insult, but honestly...if you don’t believe, cool...but why the “snarky†remarks? I just don’t get making fun of another’s religious holiday, I just don’t.

This day is something special to those Christians who partake in it. Today is called Easter---I personally don’t care where its name’s roots stem from, but the fact is, this day that Christians cherish, stems from the resurrection of the living Christ---not bunnies or eggs or candy. That’s what we believe and rejoice in! :wub:

So Ira...again, I thank you for taking out the time and wishing those who celebrate, a “Happy Easter!†It is truly appreciated by this Catholic-Christian girl, especially when it’s coming from a wonderful “Jewish boy!â€

PS: Next week Pope John Paul II (who was, oh yes…half Lithuanian! :)) will be canonized. Looks like I’ll have something to celebrate then too! YAY!

• Like 2

AnneNR   

--- not the bunnies, or eggs, or candy. -----   Well said, but until one hungers to know why some things are, and can't get a straight answer from spiritual leaders, finding out what it is that one is being told to believe -- and why --- makes a big difference.  I for one, am not a lemming.  I don't want to follow the majority over the cliff, so to speak, in some matters.  Some remarks may not be snarky at all, just misunderstood because of the level of information they have acquired.

I really think people should seek to understand WHY they are taught to believe certain things, whether in government, relationships, sciences, religioius practices.  It only comes with curiosity and a bit of digging in history, past all the traditions of mankind through the centuries.

What a wonderful century we live in, and in a country where it is okay to say you believe in the crucified, resurrected and risen Lord and Saviour as I can and do  --- without the threat death.

Some are denied this privelege.

OH ---- AND HAPPY "EASTOVER" !!!!!!   Can't remember who said that first, BUT I LIKE IT!!! :D :D :D :D :D

6  6

__/     AnneNR

• Like 1

Hi AnneNR,

I don’t know what “Eastover†is. I was just thanking Ira for recognizing what many of us are celebrating, today...Easter.

And the comments I saw were snarky, plain and simple and no reason for them.

Other things you stated I TOTALLY agree with. But, I haven’t time to comment further as I am getting ready to head to my brother’s house for our Easter celebration. YAY!

Kirk   

I think Eric was the one that coined 'Eastover'- celebrating Easter and Passover together as a mixed religion family...

• Like 3

AnneNR   

Even among us Christians, there is more "mixed religion" than we are collectively conscious of in our celebrations . . . food for thought. . .

AnneNR

P.S. --- and if it was Mr. Carmen who coined "Eastover", I think this absolutely tickles my funny bone because includes a lot for a great many at all levels of understanding done graciously. And even in matters of religious practices, this shows good humor.

6  6

__/      AnneNR

• Like 2

ira   

Thanks Ira!

This day for Christians is our holiest as it signifies eternal life. Sadly, I’ve seen many places on the net (on posts, or a meme or statuses) where people are acting like this Holiday that we Christians cherish, is nothing but the brunt of a joke.

I believe (or hope) that people don’t mean harm or insult, but honestly...if you don’t believe, cool...but why the “snarky†remarks? I just don’t get making fun of another’s religious holiday, I just don’t.

This day is something special to those Christians who partake in it. Today is called Easter---I personally don’t care where its name’s roots stem from, but the fact is, this day that Christians cherish, stems from the resurrection of the living Christ---not bunnies or eggs or candy. That’s what we believe and rejoice in! :wub:

So Ira...again, I thank you for taking out the time and wishing those who celebrate, a “Happy Easter!†It is truly appreciated by this Catholic-Christian girl, especially when it’s coming from a wonderful “Jewish boy!â€

PS: Next week Pope John Paul II (who was, oh yes…half Lithuanian! :)) will be canonized. Looks like I’ll have something to celebrate then too! YAY!

Wendy..to quote an OLD Kenny Rogers and The First Edition Song...

"But You Know I Love You"..Ira.. :wub:

• Like 2

Thanks Kirk for the clarification...and thank you Ira again for wishing those who celebrated Easter today...a happy one! You rock!

• Like 3

James   

...yes, Wendy´s new photo is pretty hot...

(..is it ok to say that on an Easter thread??:..)

:-)

• Like 1

I haven't read one comment from those who follow the Jewish faith criticize or question the beliefs of their brethren. Christians are supposed to reflect all that is good and wonderful about Him, not criticize how each of us decides to celebrate that He rose from the dead or imply that one has not been taught the "correct" or "factual" truth. We are supposed to be brothers and sisters in the faith, we are His Church. Maybe we should learn the lessen that our Jewish brothers have shown.

• Like 3

I was raised in a Catholic/Jewish household.  Now I don't believe in anything too strenuous other than I (TRY) to practice the Buddhist principle of loving kindness with even the most difficult people I come across.  I'm not immune from being pissy if I feel like I'm being pissed on, however.  Sigh...I try to be a kind person.  "Eastover" sounded like a good way to go this year... :)

M.E.

• Like 2

AnneNR   

Christianity and Judaism shouldn't have been seperated --- fear, politics, and largely Constantine helped morph how things have turned out today.  It grieves me that more Christians are not also commemorating Jewish celebrations, they should be a part of our hertiage and tend to be kept seperate by most congregations.  I'm looking forward to finding someone near me that I could participate in a Passover Sader for the first time.  The actual Sader gets glossed over when we're taught about the last supper (at least in the various denominations I had visited and worshipped with).  I think it is a beautiful celebration of the shadows and types spoken of about the Messiah, and I feel the Christian clergy should have done a better job by teaching this thing that started back in the time of the Exodus --- so much I have missed and want to learn!  I am grateful to the Jewish brethern who kept it all this time or I would never have the opportunity to fully understand it now.  Hallelujah!!!   (You go, IRA !!)  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 

6  6

__/     AnneNR