Raspbernie

Hear Eric on RETRO RADIO 4/12!

Billy, this is a far cry from the old days when we would call each other up at work every year or so to exchange any little tidbit we had heard about Eric that was unearthed in a magazine, book,hearsay, smoke signal, dead sea scroll, etc...

• Like 4

Agree, Lew. I was just thinking about how the only way I knew that all four Raspberries albums were released in Japan on CD many years ago was to happen upon one of them in a Bleeker Street CD shop. Then I proceeded to scour every other store that stocked imports (by foot and cab) until I had all four. Today, a couple of strokes of my keyboard will find me just about anything, anywhere in the world!

Bernie

• Like 4

Billy   

Couldn't wait for the latest Eric newsletter "Carmen Connection" out of Fortuna, CA in the late 70's! We've come a long way Lew!

• Like 1

Several thoughts on the radio interview. But the one that's making me grin right now is:

I LOVE, immoderately, how Eric talks like a Yankee but sings like a Rebel. Oh, yeah. You know what I mean.

In his songs, Eric does it so well. . .that sweet Southern spin on words like: I, my, try, sky, by, July, good-bye, mine, time, find, blind, eyes, skies, lies, drives, hide, inside, beside, subside. Well, I could go on.

Even Lennon and McCartney sang with American Southern accents.

Being a Dixie chick myself, IMHO, there is nothing quite like a song sung Southern man style.

Okay. Time to go listen to "The Essential."  Again.

• Like 1

You do know why The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, Mick, Robert Plant, Steve Marriot, Paul Rodgers and me all sang with that "southern" accent, right?  That's because all of the British singers were imitating their favorite American 
soul singers, and I was imitating the Brits.

If you sing the word "forever", with a Midwestern accent it comes out "Furreverrrr"( see REO Speedwagon ). Not good. Look up P.J. Proby's version of "Somewhere" from "West Side Story". He took that southern pronunciation to the LIMIT!

You neve sing I, you sing Ah, my-mah, try-trah, by-bah, eyes- ahs, for- foh. It just SOUNDS better! The ONLY singer, who could get away with actually pronouncing words, American style, was Sinatra, and he had a Jersey accent.

e

• Like 5

Eric, thanks for clarifying the accent issue. I had never put that together before. Despite being a pretty smart gal from the South, growing up immersed in the music of the '60s. I'm kinda embarrassed, actually.

And yes, the Southern accent SOUNDS so much better. Oh, mah, yes.

Cayenne, I had tried in my post above, to resist describing Eric's singing accent as "sexy." But glad you went ahead and did so. Because, well, hell, it IS so darn sexy. I guess we need to face the music. Hahaha.

BTW, not a Sinatra fan.

---- RMW   

(May ah add. . .ah tawk lahk this all the tahm. And have been told ahm sexy.)

• Like 4

RMW - I don't have what most people would think of as a Southern accent but rather an Uptown N.O. accent.  I couldn't talk more slowly if I tried though, if that gives you any idea.   

Raspathens - Sinatra with a southern accent...that just ain't right! :lol:

• Like 1

Raspathens,

I am noticing you live in Athens, GA. Please forgive me but here it comes--I can't restrain myself--HOW 'BOUT THEM DAWGS!

My ex-husband (first husband/last husband/only husband--all the same lucky, lucky man) was a Bulldog alumnus. I have many fun memories of going to the football games and watching Herschel Walker play. Wow, long time ago. Reminds me how my ex and I were magnificently matched in humor and spirituality. Yet, not meant to be partners for life. Perhaps I was too much woman for him.

Cheryl,

you're just down the road (I-40) from me here in WNC. I bet we sound an awful lot alike.

Cayenne/M.E.,

I have a dear friend from N.O. I know I would absolutely love the way you talk. Also been wanting to mention. . .how incredibly cool it is that some of your memorabilia was used in "The Essential" package.

And this may have been said before. But it is so apparent to me that you are the Heart of this community. And Bernie is the Soul.

--- RMW

• Like 3

Cheryl,

I can hear the Ohio dialect also. As many years as I have lived in TX you would think I could no longer pick up on it. But 'you guys' know it is hard to forget what you grew up hearing and speaking. LOL.

RMW,

Glad you mentioned it a couple posts back...the sexiness of the southern pronunciations. Love it!

Sherrie

• Like 4

Sherri: Funny how we Southern girls honed right in on it. LOL

RMW: I'll bet we do. The only "famous" person I've heard who sounds a lot like me is Clay Aiken, and he's from Western Carolina, isn't he? (That is, we sound alike in speech. He makes a joyful noise in song; I do not.)

Cheryl

• Like 3

Here's another way to look at the whole "accent" theory. From what I know, the southern accent came about because of the people that settled in the south were mostly from England, Scotland and Ireland.

So, would it really be that strange that those from the British Isles (Great Britain and Ireland) sound like they do when they sing because it is "their" own accent and "we" think they sound southern because we’re Americans? 

As for non-southern Americans singing with what "sounds" like a southern accent, I suppose I don't hear it unless they are country singers. But that's just me.

PS: When you hear Celtic singers (Scots and Irish) you will note that they "sound" southern...country if you will. That's because southern (country) stemmed from them, and not the other way around.

• Like 4

I read an article today about dialects in various states. According to it, most states have two — but Pennsylvania has FIVE, with Pittsburgh and Philadelphia being the two more prominent. 

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_good_word/2014/04/pennsylvania_dialects_from_pittsburghese_to_philadelphia_speak_the_keystone.html

And this is kind of interesting: Apparently, there are eight dialects in the U.S.

http://aschmann.net/AmEng/#SmallMapUnitedStates

Cheryl

• Like 4

Duane   

Raspathens,

I am noticing you live in Athens, GA. Please forgive me but here it comes--I can't restrain myself--HOW 'BOUT THEM DAWGS!

My ex-husband (first husband/last husband/only husband--all the same lucky, lucky man) was a Bulldog alumnus. I have many fun memories of going to the football games and watching Herschel Walker play. Wow, long time ago.

Reminds me of a story my father in law used to tell...hope I don't offend anybody...

Bubba and Cletus were two good ole Georgia boys. One beautiful autumn Saturday afternoon they finally go to their first Georgia football game.

The weather was perfect...the stands were full...they were in heaven. They were enjoying the pre-game ceremonies when UGA, the Georgia Bulldogs mascot, was lead onto the field.

Now UGA is a big deal to Georgia fans so his entrance is always shown on the Stadium Jumbotron for everybody to see.

Bubba and Cletus were watching UGA's entrance on the big video board when...almost on cue...UGA stops, drops, rolls over and begins licking himself!

Bubba leans over, gives Cletus a little nudge and whispers, "Man...I wish I could do that".

Cletus shakes his head in disbelief at what his friend just said....."Bubba......you know he'd bite you"

Sorry...I couldn't help it. I'll delete if asked. I did enjoy writing it though. It reminded me of my FIL telling it (he's been gone almost 5 years).

He was from Alabama...big Crimson Tide fan...thought Bear Bryant invented football. My MIL is from Tennessee, her family is full of Volunteer fans.

SEC football is always a topic of conversation when we get together in AL or TN (family reunions, weddings, funerals, etc.) during football season. (I have to wait till basketball season to talk about UK)

It was OK to pick on Georgia at either place, so he would usually get that story in at some point. It was always fun to watch somebody that hadn't heard it...he told it so serious that they usually weren't expecting the punchline.

He was a good joke teller...he was a good storyteller...he was a good man...I really miss him...

• Like 3

I love your story, Duane!! 

You know that SEC football game with GA you speak of?  Well, LSU won...now, I'll need to go tell that story to my friends.

:)

• Like 3

Raspathens,

My ex-husband (first husband/last husband/only husband--all the same lucky, lucky man) was a Bulldog alumnus. I have many fun memories of going to the football games and watching Herschel Walker play. Wow, long time ago. Reminds me how my ex and I were magnificently matched in humor and spirituality. Yet, not meant to be partners for life. Perhaps I was too much woman for him.

Cheryl,

you're just down the road (I-40) from me here in WNC. I bet we sound an awful lot alike.

Cayenne/M.E.,

I have a dear friend from N.O. I know I would absolutely love the way you talk. Also been wanting to mention. . .how incredibly cool it is that some of your memorabilia was used in "The Essential" package.

And this may have been said before. But it is so apparent to me that you are the Heart of this community. And Bernie is the Soul.

--- RMW

RMW,

Somehow I missed this post from you initially, but wanted to say thank you so much!  Very thoughtful of you. 

Hugs,

M.E.

p.s. - yeah, you probably were/are too much woman for the guy!

• Like 3

Several years ago the immortal CBS announcer Vern Lundquist was booked as a speaker at the pre-Florida Athens touchdown club meeting. Coach Richt and all the big shots were at the front table with Vern. Massive crowd that evening. Former Bulldog football player Bobby Poss handled the the entertainment every meeting with funny as hell homespun off-color jokes, giveaways, etc. Often the highlight of the meeting. Coach Richt and other straight laced types tried, to no avail, reign in his hilarious dirty jokes, especially since members of the fairer sex were now attending the meetings. A lot of drinking and loud fun at these get togethers. Being somewhat of a troublemaker who loves to observe uncomfortable situations, I wrote an original joke for Bobby that he delivered flawlessly: "Tim Tebow, Tim Tebow, that's all we hear about these days. Remember last year at the end of the game how CBS caught him on the sidelines crying like a baby because the gators were about to lose? Remember that Vern? What the cameras didn't show was that after the final whistle, cryin' Tim scampered up into the stands looking for his Momma. (At this point, Bobby puts his hand on his heart and becomes stoic). I can't tell you what happened up there when he found his momma, but I can tell you that once they was through, she burped him". Vern laughed so hard, he almost fell out of his chair; others, however, were not so amused. Bobby was suspended a few meetings and coach Richt summoned him to his office and told him to "clean it up", which he never did. Vern was a great sport and even referenced the joke in his talk that night. There was something really special about sitting in the back of the room with my buddies, enjoying great fried chicken, a few beers and watching this thing unfold.

• Like 5

My ex and I were the split Alabama-Tennessee family. (That alone should have probably told me something. He makes pretty babies, though, but I digress.)

Anyway, things always got a bit rowdy that one week in October, with me chanting, "Roll Tide!" And him singing "Rocky Top". Unfortunately, the height of that was when Peyton Manning played for Tennessee, so the Tide came out worse for the wear.

Bama Week is the only time I miss the guy. It would be fun to rub his nose in it now. ;)

Cheryl

• Like 4

Cheryl,

NOT a Saban/Bama fan for so many reasons and I'm sure you know most of them!!

Peyton Manning...now that's a great N.O. boy! 

:)

• Like 2

Cheryl,

Glad you liked my post and don't want to get into a good old fashioned best of the best college football rivalry of LSU/ALABAMA.

Now, I'm really going off topic and onto a tangent. 

If you love college football, you know the rivalries go far beyond anything conceived in the NFL.

After the unspeakable BCS game between LSU and ALABAMA (not that we should've had to play Bama again because we'd already beaten them and nobody else in the SEC or any other conference has to do that and the game is going to change the way the conference plays forevermore in the near future...).  But I digress...so...the next year, our new QB, Zach Mettenberger took over.  Zach's had his ups and downs as a lot of our players do.  I'll admit our players are colorful and some of the strongest players who go into the NFL (think about how strong Mingo's been in Ohio). So Zach finishes his first year and doesn't do as well as we or he hoped.  Around the end of that football season, I happened online to a website about LSU football which was being run by Zach's older sister, but many of the people on the website didn't realize it was Zach's sister moderating.   One day, an adult Alabama fan, probably almost as old as me (OLD) was bullying this young woman and saying how Zach is a thug and all of the people at LSU are thugs, etc.  I gave this person a virtual slap and said "don't you realize these are college kids and their main reason for playing football is to help themselves and to provide entertainment to their fans and to carry on the tradition of their chosen college?"  Stop harassing this young woman and Zach and get off of this website if you don't have anything nice to say.  If you want to bash Zach go on AJ McCarron's website and I promise I won't follow you there, MR." 

After that online incident and in Zach's last television appearance at the end of the season, he was asked what he planned for the summer and he said "I'm going on Facebook and find my friends."  Guess what?  A couple of weeks later, Zach started a FB page of his own which he didn't have time for previously.  I opened my email that morning and there was a friend request from Zach.  As an LSU fan I was thrilled.  Do you know how many LSU fans there are in LA. and the U.S.?!!   Out of all of the LSU fans anywhere he chose me to be in his close circle of friends because I came in out of the blue and I cared when he needed it and I protected his sister from being bullied. Wow!  That was powerful stuff. 

Zach still only has 32 friends on FB because he doesn't want to hear the shit people will talk about his performance on the field and he doesn't need to hear that - let fans and/or friends go elsewhere if they want to talk negative smack.  Is that a friend?  Who needs it?

LSU and Alabama fans have killed each other over this college rivalry - on the field and in actual hatred off the field and this isn't a joke.  Cheryl you know this is true but I think we can coexist peacefully as friends on ec.com. 

I had to share this story because:

#1 I felt like it since we touched on college football;

#2 I came on this website to support Eric about June of last year.  Out of the blue, without knowing he was about to have his "Essential" cd compiled, I felt the NEED to see what he was up to.  When RMW said I am the heart of this Community, I'm again thrilled and again feel this is powerful stuff. 

For anyone who actually has been told how I came to be on "Team Carmen" all I'll say here is ---  It's quite a pleasure!! :)

• Like 3

Life is too short to get my pantries in a wad over college football. I adore you, Cayenne, and I'm thrilled you're one of the few this young man sought out. :)

I'm not a Saban fan. Loved me some Stallings, though. And Bear is a legend.

Truth be told, I started following Alabama football because Tennessee is full of fair-weather idiot fans. They're all about the team until they have a bad year. Claiming to be a Bama fan was a way to get their ire, but I found myself liking them the more I watched.

Plus, I look terrific in crimson. LOL NOBODY looks good in Tennessee orange. To quote Sandra Bullock, "I will not wear that gaudy orange. I will not. It's not in my color wheel, and I ain't gonna wear it." ;)

Cheryl

• Like 3

And I love Peyton AND Eli Manning. They are two wonderful young men, and Peyton has never cut his ties with Knoxville. The are role models for us all -- the epitome of a good athlete.

By the way, discussing SEC football on an Eric Carmen forum is most decidedly going on my list of Things I Never Thought I'd Do. :)

Cheryl

• Like 2