Eric Carmen

From Kay Bryson's Facebook Page

MikeC   

Wally's gets into the  time warp machine and hears, "Wally, Wahhhlyy!! When Wally gets out of the time warp machine, he sees his earlier self. With the double guitar, and the V-Guitar. Confidant, struttiin' and striding again. He says," That was me?"The earlier self looks at Wally and says, "I have a concert to play. Time to go" 

Hi Paulguitar...

You know what is really cool about this board, you don't have to read anything you don't want to read. It's all about choice. Skip the topic...skip the post, that simple.  :)

• Like 4

Sid   

Wally bryson on his own has really been a big disappointment. His luckiest break in life was meeting Eric Carmen.

• Like 2

Batman   

I had the great fortune to be at one of the Raspberries reunion shows. I was excited because I had bought the "meet and greet" ticket.

I stood patiently in line for over 20 minutes while the staff attempted to find Wally while Eric, Jim and Dave tried to keep smiling for the fans after a grueling non-stop fantastic show. When they finally got Wally back into the lobby for the meet and greet, he was angry because he didn't want to be there.

His disappearance caused the entire meet and greet to be rushed by the staff because it was late and they wanted everyone out of the theater.

Talk about a team player.  Later that week, Kay Bryson complained about the "damn meet and greet" on her website. I'll never forget it.

• Like 3

AnneNR   

Another Lucky Duck!!!!   . . . but so saddening it was marred for you and others like that.  He must be a very very unhappy person indeed.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2014 at 6:52 PM, Sid said:

Wally bryson on his own has really been a big disappointment. His luckiest break in life was meeting Eric Carmen.

Sid, Your comment is perfection and I love your smile!  So cool you like pink...have you met Wendy-Ann?  :) Cayenne

• Like 1

Have you ever met someone who always thinks they're being slighted, or disrespected? Someone who always thinks he's getting the short end of the stick, and that life has conspired against him, and dealt him a bad hand?

In my experience, people who feel and think this way inevitably walk around with a chip on their shoulder. They're suspicious of everyone else's motives, and actions, and, as such, bring an oppressively negative attitude with them, wherever they go. In that way, they become a self-fulfilling prophesy, which serves to reinforce their view that everybody is out to get them. Positive people attract positive energy. Negative people attract ( and THRIVE ON ) negative energy.

When the "House of Blues's" booking agent for the Cleveland club, contacted Jim and asked about a Raspberries reunion, Jim called me afterwards and asked "What should I say to Wally?" I answered, "Just tell him to play his guitar and have fun."

What other possible reason could there be for committing to such an undertaking?  Four guys who hadn't been in the same room together for 32 years, getting back together and having an opportunity, maybe the ONLY opportunity, EVER, to forget the past, shake hands and be friends, and walk out onstage and blow away an audience that loves us, while having a ball doing it!

Unfortunately, for some, their baggage will always get in the way, as it did in 1974, and again in 2004-2005. When I first met Wally, he was already a "rock star." I was just a "wannabe." I imagine it must have been hard for him when "the new guy" started writing all the hits. And it must have been an especially bitter pill to swallow when my first solo record became a smash hit. 

I remember Wally and his whole band coming to one of my shows at The Roxy in L.A., in 1976, and apparently, Wally was heckling me from the audience. I was unaware of it, but I was later told that people all around him told him to "shut up or get out."

Wally ( with a little help from Jeff Sutton, Raspberries' sideman ) wrote a song that was recorded by their band, "Tatoo." Here are the lyrics:

Yer Stale    
W. Bryson/J. Hutton

Yer sox are up and yer pants are tight
Yer hair's fluffed up and you look all right
Yer ten is hung and yer song is sung
Yer curl is shot and fresh you're not

Yer moves are all gone
Yer close friends are all pawns
Brother yer day has just dawned
Lord how you make me yawn, yawn 

About the same time, I wrote this:

We was young
And still believed in " A Hard Day's Night"
But no one seemed to understand
And there was no relief in sight
The comp'ny man
He's got his nose glued to the charts
He says the record's doin' fine,
But now the group is fallin' apart

I hope there's no hard feelings 
'Cause there isn't any one to blame
'Cause nothin' ever stays the same
While we was locked in image prison
Waitin' for that break
We was raped, re-shaped, just tryin' to escape
Caught in a rock 'n roll time warp
Tryin' to find a way to get out

Four years on
And things were really getting too intense
Critics ravin 'bout our album
But we're makin' fifty cents
And in the end
We were facin' the hard, cold truth
So tomorrow, come what may
Looks like it's Ricky and the Tooth

Chorus

We gave it everything we had to give
But it was getting so tough
Too much frustration makes it hard to live
I think enough is enough
I said enough is enough.....

'Cause there isn't any one to blame
'Cause nothin' ever stays the same
While we was locked in image prison
Waitin' for that break 
We was raped, re-shaped, just tryin' to escape
Caught in a rock 'n roll time warp

Caught in a rock n' roll time warp

Let me out
Let me out
Let me out
Let me out

Let me out....

Eric Carmen/1975

I love the guy, but he's always been his own worst enemy.

Danny Klawon once said to me ( in 1969 ) and I quote:

"Wally's a great guy, as long as you don't have to play in a band with him."

And that's the truth.

I watched the video of "Live On Sunset Strip" a couple days ago, and it just made me so sad. All I could think about was how incredibly talented Wally is, and how he was the perfect guitarist for me, and how effortless he made incredibly complicated guitar parts look, when he played them, and how much fun it was to work with a guitarist who could realize my "piano chords" on his guitar, and how awesome it was to hear "Tonight" and "Go All The Way" come together, the way I heard them in my head, and then to see and feel the disconnect and discord and bitterness on that stage.

Believe me when I tell you, Jim and I have had this conversation a THOUSAND TIMES, and it breaks both of our hearts.

To see and hear what "could have been" and realize it will never be, is very difficult for both of us.

If only Wally had been a "team player," we could have accomplished so much. 

Honestly, it kills me.

e

• Like 15

That's why I continue to thank the Rock and Roll Gods for somehow managing to align the planets in a way that allowed all of us who were lucky enough to be there to see you boys back in action—even for the brief time that you were.

As the lights went down at your first reunion show, I leaned over to my book-writing buddy (and mega-fan) Ken Sharp and said, "Ken. We're at a Raspberries concert!"

The look on his face most certainly matched the one on mine.

Bernie

• Like 9

E,

"Yer Stale" sounds like something a child would write. 

We know it's sad and Wally is surely a good man, but he has some serious issues to deal with, negativity being one of them.  Seems like you still have such a great hold on him, and he needs to work out and make peace with those issues if nothing else.  When the highs of life are really high and special, the lows tend to be so much worse. 

Hugs,

M.E.

• Like 3

MikeD   

Eric, I think you completely captured Wally's issue- resentment. Resentment that you carried the band by writing the hits, the successful solo career, his lack of success post-Raspberries, etc... It's understandable to act that way when you are in your late teens early twenties, but after 30 years have passed, it becomes sad (especially from a friendship standpoint). His playing on the Raspberries' albums is truly amazing, always tasteful,melodic, and always perfect for the song. Is it possible that you subconsciously had Wally on your mind for some of the "Boats" lyrics? "I know it's over, you know it's over... perfection is consuming, we're only human..."

I'm sure I'm way off! Anyhow, hopefully things will change among the band, and you guys can celebrate your past accomplishments.

• Like 2

AnneNR   

Mr. Carmen,

It is so wonderful that you stepped back just a bit from this.  I can see great compassion and sorrow rather than sheer frustration and railing against the unfairness of the circumstances.  Sounds like the negative part of Mr. Bryson has been living rent-free in your mind for awhile now, glad to see you are heading toward evicting the negative out permanently and keeping the best of him instead.

You have pretty good intuitive skills past the primal emotional urges we all can feel from stuff like this. It is heartening to read from your post the direction you are taking this in for yourself, bravo, Mr. Carmen, bravo.  (Gosh, man, I don't know you, but this kinda  makes me wanna cry, I'm feelin' for you.)

AnneNR :)

I've always liked this saying about insecurity. "It sucks doesn't it, feeling you're not good enough." Too bad insecurity and the feeling like the world is against them eats away at many people so much that they destroy much of their own future and other people's future.

• Like 4

I have never understood why some people do not or can not celebrate the happiness and success of others. Happiness is so easier or at least must more pleasant.

I have friends, acquaintance's  plus siblings and children who have different talents and gifts that I do not have. But I  LOVE their successes ! They are wonderful! It does not take away from me that they are smarter, prettier, more talented .

Poor Kay.... life is so short . Why carry bitterness and envy ? Sing with me... "Let it Go, ......Let it Go..."

postscript :

Dear EC,

I am  impressed.  For all the many times that this subject has come up, you have always taken the High Rode. I'm sure it would have been easy  to let other stories  out, you did not " Go there". It shows you were raised better than that, I am pleased to have met you. You sir,  are a Gentleman.

• Like 3