ira

Eric's Most Ironic Song (IMHO)

ira   

Unless I'm misreading it...

Eric's "Someday" (When I'm Cool)..is purposely over the top..ironic..funny and yet poignant.

GREAT SONG ON MANY LEVELS!

I've always felt humor is REALLY hard to convey in music...

I'm not talking about Novelty Songs like "Purple People Eater"..but songs that that are humorous..tounge-in-cheek AND make a point.

"Matthew Silver Hammer".."When I'm 64".."You're Mother Should Know"..Hell...The Beatles..UM...ACTUALLY Paul...was pretty good at conveying humor in great songs that were NOT throwaways made for money and a cheap laugh..

Any other songs you guys like that convey humor but are good pop songs and NOT novelty trash on a par with "They're Coming To Take Me Away"?

• Like 3

Kirk   

I dunno, Ira.  I think it's a pretty universal theme about the guy that's been jilted, conning himself that he's the one she really wants; visualizing her begging for forgiveness, but really knowing she's moved on.     

• Like 1

ira   

Yeah Kirk...but even the lyric.."someday when I'm cool" ....don't it make you kinda wanna smile before you even know where it's goin'..it STILL makes me smile every time I hear Eric sing it.

• Like 2

James   

I remember first hearing "Someday" when I bought a 45 just to hear the flip side ("Someday") in 1977 or 1978 in Ft. Worth, Tx. At that  time (prior to "Change of Heart" but after "Boats....." ) "Someday" had not been on an album.  I think it was the flip side of "She Did It".   I saw the 45 in the record store, saw a NEW Eric Carmen song previously not heard by me on the flipside ....and I had to have it. 

So I bought the 45....listened...and fell in love with "Someday".

I remember thinking that Eric Carmen and the world probably thought "Someday" was a throw-away song as why else would it be a flipside and never have been on an album?....but I also remember thinking that well, I friggin LOVE this song.  "Throw-away" or not, it was cool as heck!..

Of course we know now it was not a throw-away.  It later it showed up on "Change of Heart"...I was glad.  It deserved a spot on an album.

James

• Like 3

Ira,

I think "Great Expectations" fits your description better than "Someday," which was, in partly inspired by the lyrics of "It's My Party" and "Maybe I Know" and "Judy's Turn To Cry" by Lesley Gore. 

She sang "frustrated teen anthems" written from a female point of view. I wrote "Someday" to reflect my own frustration, in my early teens, at not being the "popular guy" in school.

I never thought of "Someday" as a "throwaway" song, it just didn't fit on the "Boats" album, so I held it back and put it on "Change Of Heart." My title for that album, btw, was "Desperate Fools," but 

Clive thought that was "too negative."

• Like 7

ira   

Thanks Eric..gotta run and listen to "Great Expectations"...Happy "Opening Day"..

Good luck to the Indians!!

• Like 1

James   

Yeah, "Great Expectations" is pretty entertaining, really, ...and very underrated, unique and out of the box

It´s one more element that makes that first album possibly the greatest melodic pop/rock album of them all.

If you like melodies, that first album is a masterpiece.

James

• Like 1

I honestly don't know where my "bridges' all come from. They seem to fall from the sky most of the time, and looking back, I usually can't remember any thought process.

The bridge of "Great Expectations" is one of those divinely inspired moments.

"Life....is just a game of chance"

I think somebody said so

Sometimes you get a hula hoop

Sometimes you get an Edsel.....

I'd LOVE to know where that last line came from!  Hula hoop? Edsel? How did I ever think of that????

I remember it all began with the line: 

"Seems everyday I'm getting' harder pressed to find a reason to shave...."

After that, it's all a blur, but the line about "Sorry to say, we're changing your song" was referring to Capitol Records' insistence about changing "Hit Record"( What the song was all about ) to "Overnight Sensation" ( not what the song was all about ). Grrrrr. Still pisses me off.

• Like 7

"Life....is just a game of chance"

I think somebody said so

Sometimes you get a hula hoop

Sometimes you get an Edsel...

That is, without a doubt, some of my favorite lyrics, period. 

• Like 1

ira   

One of the REALLY COOL B) things about the "Essential'" is that it's like running into an old friend who somehow :o ...

looks and sounds better than the last time you ran into him..."All Those Years Ago"!!!!..

AND....

Ya like that old friend enough enough..that ya ain't jealous...

You're happy for him..

As an iconic "Oldies" Group known as "My Jewish People" like to say..

Mazel Tov Eric!!! :D

• Like 3

MikeD   

Love the bridge to "Hey Deanie". Eric is a master of writing unexpected bridges that elevate songs to greater heights. Let's Pretend, Overnight S., so many more. The art of "composing" music in today's popular music is in such decline.

• Like 2

Duane   

I wrote "Someday" to reflect my own frustration, in my early teens, at not being the "popular guy" in school.

I never thought of "Someday" as a "throwaway" song, it just didn't fit on the "Boats" album, so I held it back and put it on "Change Of Heart."

My first Eric Carmen purchase was the "She Did It" 45. I really liked She Did It, but I LOVED the B side song "Someday".

I'm pretty good at math but I doubt I could count the times I listened to Someday. I was 16 at the time...that song captured my "right then" teenage frustrations.

I loved everything about that song...the intro...the anger and the "I'll show you / you'll be sorry" gist of the song...the way it starts as a simple, driven song and then explodes into that wall of sound...everything.

36 years later and I still love that song as much (or more) as I did then. I guess because I indentified with the song so much, I never thought of it as "over the top" or "humorous".

I almost didn't buy the Boats album (8-track) because Someday wasn't on it.

I remember debating between Boats and another 8-track (for the life of me I can't remember who it was)...I'm guessing I couldn't afford both that day.

She Did It was the only song I knew on Boats...had Someday been on it, it would have been a no-brainer for me.

I remember debating quite a while before I made the best music buying decision of my life. I was hooked on first listen. That "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" intro sucked me right in...hasn't let go of me since.

I often wonder if I hadn't picked Boats that day...would I have ever heard it. Nobody I know (in real life) has ever recommended it to me. It's sad the amount of people that have never heard that masterpiece.

Also, I hate...OK...strongly dislike...Clive Davis for a number of reasons, but I've got to give credit where credit is due. I like that Boats Against The Current leads off the album, even though I found out years later

that EC wanted it to close the album. I'd have found it and loved it wherever it was placed, but my Boats experience was unforgettable because of BATC leading off. I put that 8-track in knowing absolutely nothing about

the album (except She Did It). I had read no reviews...no word of mouth...nothing. The Boats intro stopped me dead in my tracks. Those first few minutes made me an Eric Carmen fan for life.

I now understand that Someday didn't "fit" on the Boats album, but at the time I couldn't understand why you would put out the first single of an album with a B side that wasn't on the album. Maybe that was common

practice back then but I would have used the B side to get more exposure for my album. I'd have put a song on it that wasn't going to be released as a single...but that's just me. I thought Someday was too good to be the

B side of anything. I agree with Eric holding it for Change Of Heart (Desperate Fools)...but I would have released that bad boy as a single.

Eric...why was Someday the B side of She Did It instead of using an album cut from Boats? (It feels wrong to call any song on that album an "album cut")

One more thing...and this is just me. I agree Someday didn't "fit" on Boats, but I never thought She Did It and Take It Or Leave It "fit" the album either. Both are great songs, but more times than not, I usually skip them while

listening to the album. I know it was the first single and a perfect radio single, but other than the nautical theme, She Did It doesn't really seem to "fit" the album...too lightweight (sorry, Les R). It "feels" more like the COH album.

I like Take It Or Leave It, but it seems too coarse...too much of a rocker...for that beautiful album. Marathon Man, on the other hand, always seemed like it belonged on the Boats album (??). I realize that on most albums you want

a nice mix of ballads, pop and rockers...but Boats was such a theme album that those two songs always felt out of place to me. Again, that's just me.