Sign in to follow this  
Don H

Couldn't find Eric's Essential Cd anywhere

Don H   

I tried and hit all of the spots. Could not get my hands on the new CD. Going to have to resort to mail!

Really looking forward to a serious listening when I can find it.

I couldn't even begin to list more than ONE (count 'em, ONE!) legitimate "record store" within driving distance of my house. Not counting the big box stores (Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) that are down to a couple of racks of CDs at this point. It's all digital download or Amazon (if I'm looking to pick up an actual piece of plastic) for me.

Bernie

• Like 2

Kirk   

I stopped by Salzer's in Ventura and they had a copy in stock, so they're out there, somewhere...

• Like 1

LC   

I hope Blackhawk Pat comes on and relates his hunting experience (fruitless) in the Chicago area. I'm going to try Newbury Comics tomorrow -- I was tied up all day today.

marvin   

I'm in Scottsdale for school spring break, and have not found the cd in any store (Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy) in this town or in a couple of the neighbouring towns. I'll keep trying for the rest of the week that I'm here. On another note, I just find it sad the state of these so-called 'record' stores.

I got the whole thing from iTunes, but it was a pain. I had to go in there and do some kind of *something* (I don't even know what!) to get Raspberries and The Cyrus Erie tracks to download. 

I started off at the local Target this morning and it would have been easier to communicate in hieroglyphics. When I asked for the CD, the woman trying to help me said "oh, we have that" and took me over to a place where she tried to offer me the group "Karmin". I explained to her this was a CD released today and the spelling was "CARMEN". She said "did you say KARMIN?" and I literally wanted to scream. She then said, "so you don't want this, right?" No, no, I'm good, thanks for your help. Then, I went to Best Buy and the girl there said "yes, we got it in today" and walked me over to a CD that was by a singer named Erica Campbell. Now, I don;t know if I was more angry that they had 10 of her CD and none of Eric's or the fact that she still didn't understand me, someone who makes their living either singing or talking. I said, "no, the name is Eric Carmen" and she said "well, we have this, pointing at the Erica Campbell CD. Then, she said she would look it up on the computer for me ("let's look for HER CD", she said) and she couldn't spell "essential" despite my many attempts at telling her how so I grabbed a Mariah Carey and a BIlly Joel Essential CD that were there and said, "like this". She said, "so you want Mariah?" She finally found it in the computer and said they would carry it but not yet, but couldn't say why or when. After speaking to LC for a bit, I called Barnes and Noble and the guy there knew exactly what I wanted, but said they weren't stocking it, but did say he would order it for me, but I would have to wait....THREE WEEKS! 

After speaking with LC again, I was resigned to now having to order it online (we have horrendous mail service, so that is why I didn't do that in the first place) but I made one final call to Rolling Stone Records, which is more than an hour away from my house. They had it (woo-hoo!) and the girl on the phone said she would hold it for me until this evening because it was the last one. She also mentioned they had sold a few (so, that's good!). So, I jumped in the car, drove across town, got the CD and listened to all of disc one so far! When i was there, I asked her if they would be ordering more and she said "well, if today's sales are any indication, then yes", so, again, we like that!

What has happened to just being able to go out and buy a CD of your favorite singer in one simple transaction? In his own words, "those days are gone." WHEW!

• Like 4

Best Buy only has it available on their website. I work for them and checked our inventory systems to see if any of our stores in the Cleveland area had it and none of them did. Don't hold your breath for Wal Mart or Target to carry it either as they pretty much carry the "Top 100" and we're following them down that path as well....

If there's anybody in the Cleveland area that is still looking for it I found mine at "The Exchange" (formerly known as "The Record Exchange") for $16.99. I know that Record Den in Mentor will be carrying it as well (the last of the truly great RECORD stores out there).

Good luck!

• Like 1

marvin   

I don't expect any of the major retailers to carry the cd. They spend their time focusing on the cd's that sell to the younger music-buying/listening audience. I'm sure when I get back to Calgary on the weekend I'll have similar luck (no luck) in finding the cd in a brick and mortar store. It's a sign of the times, but the best way to get the cd is to order it through an on-line retailer.

WC1215   

Best Buy only has it available on their website. I work for them and checked our inventory systems to see if any of our stores in the Cleveland area had it and none of them did. Don't hold your breath for Wal Mart or Target to carry it either as they pretty much carry the "Top 100" and we're following them down that path as well....

If there's anybody in the Cleveland area that is still looking for it I found mine at "The Exchange" (formerly known as "The Record Exchange") for $16.99. I know that Record Den in Mentor will be carrying it as well (the last of the truly great RECORD stores out there).

Good luck!

Record Den had "Live on Sunset Strip" the standard and deluxe editions the day they came out. Always a great supporter of local talent. I don't get over that way very often anymore, so I ordered on Amazon this time. Record Den is a great store and always has been.

I got mine via Amazon and it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow. The disc ranked #19, in the specific genre it was categorized in at the time of my purchase

• Like 2

I couldn't even begin to list more than ONE (count 'em, ONE!) legitimate "record store" within driving distance of my house. Not counting the big box stores (Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) that are down to a couple of racks of CDs at this point. It's all digital download or Amazon (if I'm looking to pick up an actual piece of plastic) for me.

Bernie

I know...I'm responding to waaay older posts...but what the heck. I'm with ya on this one Bernie. I am pretty old school when it comes to my music and walking into a 'store' still gets me all pumped up and excited at the anticipation of what I will find. I miss the days when there was one of the big chains or used mom and pop places in almost every town. I went to several Newbury Comic's, within driving distance of me, and not one, nada on a copy of "Essential". I was looking for the 25th Ann edition of Roy's Mystery Girl and they didn't have that either ! It's getting pretty bad out here for fans of rock n roll I tell ya. Anyway, gotta get off my arse and do the 'new thing' and order a copy! Sheesh !

• Like 3

AnneNR   

Well, I may as well add my experience in with the rest of you . . . .

I found this website totally by accident as I was looking up songs I was remembering and wanted album titles to put on a wish list.  I saw that there was some excitement brewing because of a new release, and realized what they were talking about was "past" tense, and so --- within 5 days after the release of "Essential" I was on the hunt to find where I might pick up a copy.

By April 9th I was accepted as a new member on EricCarmen.com.  I had no idea to start with how to maneuver through a social website because I never had any experience outside of eHarmony.com (met & married my Matt through them), nor had ever really wanted to bother with social medias of any kind ( I refuse to "MySpace","Facebook" or "Twitter" at all)  before now, but plowed ahead anyway.

Funny you guys should mention it (Rory Storm 1960 & Blackhawkpat), one of my pet peeves is if someone works with the public in this country, a good working knowledge and use of basic English both speaking and written is a must, not perfect, just a WORKING KNOWLEDGE.  I experienced the same thing trying to spell out what I was looking for, and getting frustrated even with the index machines giving me the closest thing to, but NOT what I was looking for!!

For Gosh Sakes!!  It was just released a week ago. . . . 2 weeks ago. . . . end of last month. . . . and all I could get was something like "No, we don't carry that, BUT we can order it for you."

Whenever I hear that last comment, I kept thinking about all the others on this website that "ordered" and had problems getting their order fulfilled.  BLAST!!  I HATE ORDERING STUFF (I detest using credit cards so I only order things once in a great while).  And then Hubby's hours were cut back, and I couldn't justify the expenditure even though it was very well priced for receiving the equivalent of a little over 2  CD's worth of songs in one offering.

At one point Birdy very kindly offered to sell a copy to me that she had (that says a LOT -- I'm a virtual stranger to her!) but my middle daughter was taking me gift shopping the first Saturday in May so I thought I could find a copy at that time.  Well, since that didn't work out, I was feeling a little reticent to go back and take Birdy up on her offer after I had told her that her kind gesture wouldn't be necessary. 

BLAST!!  Back to square one AGAIN.  But low and behold, another survey came in on my email (surveys you get paid for in points and exchange them for merchandise in their online store).

This survey sender doesn't send me surveys as often as they do others as there are a LOT of things I don't purchase in grocery stores (usually junk or processed foods) or personal care items I feel are above and beyond necessary.  Also, when I take the surveys, they KNOW I hold no punches and take their surveys seriously, so they don't send them to me often because of my tastes and I will not just complete a survey telling them what they would like to hear.

BUT --- after this particular survey was finished, the page flips to the online site so you can check on a variety of things including what you can get for your points, or just browse the categories.  I checked them out for the "Essential" back in the first week I was on this site and it wasn't in the CD category at all, so now, I thought, what the heck, a lot of places didn't have it at first to even order . . . so I checked one more time.

IT WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!    Now all I had to do was accumulate more points to order it as I had already depleted my account by ordering a movie soundtrack CD for my middle daughter.  It took me one month to get the 2 extra surveys to be able to order it from the awards site.

I was finally able to order it last week --- I got it in my hot little hands earlier TODAY. 

I didn't have to use a credit card.  I didn't have to pay anything, not even shipping.  The company I did the surveys with paid for and sent it as recompense for my consumer opinions on several different product evaluations.

This CD is so beautifully created, very artistically designed back cover and description booklet page art.  It feels like something personally done with professional presentation.  And the scripting of the liner notes are fitting and well written.  I can only think of one song I heard on Youtube that I don't like that is listed here (not telling which one) but all the rest was way well worth the effort and wait time in order to get it.  I am absolutely delighted!!! 

Thank you Mr. Carmen for your generosity in the quantity and quality of what is present on this CD, and to all those you have mentioned in any capacity to help see this project come to successful completion.

I have never had so much emotional ups and downs trying to get a hold of any CD.  I will have to pass away into temporal sleep, awaiting the second coming of the Savior before anyone else has it other than myself!!  :angry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:   AnneNR

6  6

__/

• Like 3

birdy   

AnneNR,

Glad you finally got it! I thought your daughter was able to get it. I don't think you lied to me but just neglected to fill me in on that detail. Now, I know how sneaky you are!

Check out Cayennegirl's initials at the bottom of the column.

AnneNR   

AnneNR,

Glad you finally got it! I thought your daughter was able to get it. I don't think you lied to me but just neglected to fill me in on that detail. Now, I know how sneaky you are!

Check out Cayennegirl's initials at the bottom of the column.

Not sneaky, Birdy, just very embarassed, but DETERMINED --- and was waiting to actually have it in hand (stuff could've happened !!) before revealing what has transpired since your offer.

I'm trying to catch up with the rest of you --- and doing it within my means.

And yes, I remembered what you said, and that was the first thing I looked for in the booklet.

Sorry for holding out on ya, Birdy, but I hope I made up for it by letting others know how nice a person you are by mentioning you in the telling. :)

AnneNR

6  6

__/

• Like 3

Ah, AnneNR, so glad you are finally enjoying what all the rest of us love listening to. 

A couple weeks ago I bought a new car and it has a Bose stereo.    I remembered reading something Eric had written awhile back on how once his songs were digitally remastered, he jumped into his vehicle also equipped with that Bose stereo.  He said the sound was exactly the way he heard it in his head.    It is so awesome for me to now be experiencing the music the way Eric had intended!!!  The music is simply superb!!! 

• Like 3

AnneNR   

Aw, Sherrie, you LUCKY DUCK!!!  I really like the product Bose puts out, I just haven't been able to budget funds for something of theirs --- YET.  I couldn't be more happy for you that you have such an excellent sound system in your new car !! :D

ENJOY!!!!!

AnneNR

6  6

__/

• Like 2