43 posts in this topic

ericcarmen_essential.jpg

Disc: 1
1. Get The Message (w/ The Cyrus Erie)
2. Go All the Way (w/ Raspberries)
3. I Wanna Be With You (w/ Raspberries)
4. Let's Pretend (w/ Raspberries)
5. Tonight (w/ Raspberries)
6. Overnight Sensation (Hit Record) (w/ Raspberries)
7. Sunrise
8. My Girl
9. All By Myself
10. Never Gonna Fall in Love Again
11. Last Night
12. Starting Over (Live 1976)
13. That's Rock N Roll (Live 1976)
14. Run Away
15. Love Is All That Matters

Disc: 2
1. Boats Against the Current
2. Marathon Man
3. She Did It
4. Nowhere To Hide
5. Change of Heart
6. Hey Deanie
7. Desperate Fools
8. Someday
9. It Hurts Too Much
10. Tonight You re Mine
11. The Way We Used To Be
12. Hungry Eyes
13. Make Me Lose Control
14. Ecstasy (Live 2005) (w/ Raspberries)
15. Brand New Year
15 people like this

Hot Dang!

Kirk, May I be so bold and edit that comment to, "HOT DAMN!!" ?

Can't wait!

2 people like this

45 years, from 1969 to 2014, in just about two hours! Turn it up loud, and rock on!

e

11 people like this

45 years, from 1969 to 2014, in just about two hours! Turn it up loud, and rock on!

e

Love the list of tracks!

The icing on the cake will be a live show celebrating those same 45 years! :)

Tim

7 people like this

The song "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)". Is it the single 45 version OR the album version which has the ending of "Mama yeah, woo"??    Matt 

1 person likes this

Nice collection, I'll definitely have to have it! B) Ditto on the live show! Please email me if it comes to realization! 

1 person likes this

Why isn't "I'm through with love" and "hear it from your lips" on the collection? Label issues maybe ?

2 people like this

I'm pleased to see that my favorite song, Nowhere to Hide made the list and I'm looking forward to hearing some of the songs I do know and others I've never heard before.

2 people like this

You get "Make me Lose Control" instead. Maybe we'll use the "Long Live Rock And Roll" demo sometime in the future.

4 people like this

Tiggsherby,

I was also perplexed that I'm Through with Love was omitted.  I realize that all Eric's songs couldn't be on the release. It's just such a beautiful song and difficult to find on previous releases.

I'm also curious as to why Eric doesn't smile a lot in his photos. Has anyone ever read an interview where this was addressed? Perhaps its just an image thing - trying to look serious so his music would be taken seriously.

Dr. M

3 people like this

The Japanese Fans are also looking forward New CDs so much!

I ordered yesterday!

0002416.jpg

10 people like this

There is a possibility that "Japanese version" will include bonus tracks!

0002417.jpg

4 people like this

My first show in Japan. Special guest star of the Yamaha World Song Festival. 1978, at The Budokan. 10,000 seats, sold out. The climax of the three day festival. Yamaha flew my band ( Davey Johnstone, Cooker LoPresti ( Elton's band ) Duane Hitchings ( Rod's band ) my singers, conductor ( Barry Fasman ) and my drummer Ross Salamone to Tokyo, to play a 35 minute show with a 55 piece orchestra. It was the most incredible experience of my life. I think we opened with "Marathon Man" and when the orchestra kicked in, it literally lifted me off my feet. The stage was incredible, the orchestra was even better, and my band was at the top of their game. We played what I would call a "Beatle set" ( thirty minutes, plus an encore ) and blew the roof off the place.

When we arrived in Tokyo, we walked through a huge, underground  marketplace and eventually emerged at street level. I saw 3' by 6' posters of me in every department store window, and on the side of every bus. The hotel marquis said "Welcome Eric Carmen" and then in smaller letters, "Welcome Bolshoi Ballet." We had apparently arrived at the same time, and as we walked through the underground market, we attempted to say "Hello" to the dancers. Among them was Alexander Gudenov, who was defecting from Russia, unbeknownst to us. The Bolshoi dancers were flanked by VERY serious KGB officers, and no one would even lift their heads when we said "Hello." We were staying at the same hotel, and I found it amazing that I had billing over the Bolshoi Ballet!

The Japanese audience at the Budokan was the most appreciative audience I had ever played for. Somewhere, there exists a tape recording  ( audio and video ) of that performance. It was a totally incredible experience that I will never forget.

I  got in a cab, one day, and the cab driver had Mozart on his radio. I realized I "wasn't in Kansas anymore." 

Here was an entire country, where classical music was taught, and listened to, not by some "elite" group, but by everyone. There was no crime. None. It was like being in New York City ( which is my favorite city in the US ) but every single person was polite, courteous, and couldn't wait to help me, in any way they could. People who had "colds" wore hospital masks over their faces, so they wouldn't infect anyone else. I have never before, or since, experienced the feeling that we Americans were complete "barbarians."

I met Whitney Houston, who was accompanying her mother, Cissy, during that festival. She was fifteen, at the time, and the sweetest, most humble girl I have ever met.  Just a fresh faced teenager, who no one had yet discovered. She thought meeting ME was something special! Years later, after she had signed with  Arista, I heard her sing, and realized she could sing the phonebook and give you goosebumps, It didn't take a "genius" to figure out that this beautiful, talented girl was destined for stardom. I met Whitney many times over the next decade, and every time, she was as sweet, and humble as she was the very first time I met her in Tokyo. Her death was a terrible tragedy., a testimonial to what the music business can do to a sensitive, delicate soul. What a horrible, senseless loss.

I spent 10 days in Tokyo, on that first trip, and I came back to America with a totally different idea about the world, in general. I have never before, or since, met a warmer, more wonderful, sensitive, and kind group of people. I have travelled to Japan numerous times, since then, and I will always cherish my experiences there. 

I understand that people who served in the military during World War II may have a completely different take on things than I do. All I can say is that you cannot judge a people by the acts of their government, during wartime.

I love the Japanese people with all my heart, and i thank them for "getting" my music and being so kind and accepting to me.

17 people like this

It's our great honor to get such a classy message for Japanese.
I'm grateful that you take care of us  over many years.

4 people like this

I met Whitney Houston, who was accompanying her mother, Cissy, during that festival.

Another new story! I guess if we had heard all of them, Eric Carmen: Marathon Man would have been 5,000 pages long!

Bernie

6 people like this

Another new story! I guess if we had heard all of them, Eric Carmen: Marathon Man would have been 5,000 pages long!

Bernie

Bernie,

On the year that Eric invited as a special guest artist,

at Yamaha  World Popular Song Festival in Tokyo '79,

Cissy Houston sang "You're the Fire", and she won "Best Singer Award" .

And Bonnie Tyler won the grand prize by "Sitting On The Edge Of The Ocean"

Here's link.

http://www.yamaha-mf.or.jp/history/e-history/wpsf/wpsf10.html

7 people like this

Eric, you are very articulate and always interesting to read. Ever think about penning a novel? Maybe one based on one of your songs? e.g. - Runaway, Lost in the Shuffle, ? Maybe fictional where a group of classical composers become transported to the 1970's and form a disco band led by their leader Sergio Rockonenough.

2 people like this