Raspbernie

EC.com "Essential" CD Release Event!

KkH   

I am very happy to see Eric's post. It is mostly sad that Wally couldn't allow for that same understanding of groups. Either way back when, or even now.

I am with Cayennegirl;

Eric and Bernie,

. . . Now I'm going to say -- Bernie, . . . tell us about the freakin' contest!!

xoxo M.E.

~Kathy

• Like 1

Can't wait for Eric's new record, can't wait to see what Wally plans on doing in the future......the limited amount of songs we got from the pair just showed how they could drive each other to greatness. I have had a number of members here call me or write me about this thread. If I wanted to fight with anyone, I'd have stayed married! No "sides' needed to be taken. I love 'em both...period! Now, back to music. Let's all be pumped for this new record, please, and let's all try and get it out to the masses.

• Like 3

Duane   

The combination of song choices for "The Essential..." began with Tim Smith's choices, and, tip of my hat to Tim, his good taste was the basis for most of the song selections, including "The Way We Used To Be."

Had he NOT chosen that song, I would have tried to lobby for it, since I believe it's the best song on the Geffen album, as well, but he'd already made the good choice. 

After I got involved, there was a little 'give and take' on the inclusion of certain tracks, and exclusion of others, and the sequencing, but Tim and I turned out to be a pretty good "team."

Of course, most of the album is chronological, with a few exceptions, but I really have no problem with the songs chosen. Are there other songs I like, as well? Sure! But maybe we'll save those for the ultimate box set.

All I can say is this: "My Girl", "Last Night" "It Hurts Too Much" "The Way We Used To Be" and many more NOW sound like bonafide hit records. I listened to "It Hurts Too Much" tonight and thought to myself "How could Clive 

have ignored this? It's a smash hit, with decent promotion. But, hey....maybe a few people will hear this collection and wonder how in the world they didn't hear all of these songs before. That's really the whole point, here.

e

I might have mentioned before that I'm more of a ballad fan...but I love It Hurts Too Much! Great song...another shoulda, coulda, woulda been a hit.

It should've been a hit for Eric and I'll never say that anybody else could do an EC song better than EC, but...

I always thought that song would have been perfect for Bruce Springsteen...it just seemed to be written for him. The structure of the song, his voice, his attitude...right down to the sax solo for Clarence Clemons.

I could just see and hear them performing It Hurts Too Much. After I found out later that Springsteen was such a fan of Eric's, it seemed even more perfect.

I could see Springsteen doing this song even now...but back then I think he would have had a monster hit with It Hurts Too Much:

A lot of empty words that I've already heard

Ain't gonna work tonight

Don't wanna talk about it anymore

'Cause that ain't gonna make things right

So now you're back again, you say it's not too late

To give it one more try

Well, I don't want to hear your lies

No, I don't want to hear your lies no more

I've got to find a way, I know, to let you go

'Cause it hurts too much

You say you'll never leave

And then, you're gone again