Eric Carmen

"Brand New Year" Free Download

marvin   

So if Marv and I begin at the same time on the same day at two different but equally distant train stations traveling toward say, Ohio.  We are each going at exactly 80 miles per hour toward a destination of equal distance from the starting points.  We each type 60 words per minute and we each attempt one post per minute...awwwww forget it...vodka kicking in now.... ;)

I'd still get my posts in quicker because you'd be taking up your time filling your posts with "winks, hugs and kisses" :)

• Like 3

I am so moved by this song. I don't know where to begin.

I regret that I can't post here too often, since I am a psychotherapist in a small community and need to be careful that I am not identifiable. Although what's so wrong about loving Eric Carmen and his music? Well, I guess a few of my colleagues might diagnose me as obsessive. Hahaha.

In the field of psychiatric/addiction treatment, we tend to focus on illness, disease, disorder, symptoms and problems. But what is also important --and is happening--is a shift towards "positive psychology" as the path for healing.

What I hear in "Brand New Year" is these "positive psychology" principles of emotional resilience, optimism, hope, love, commitment, gratefulness. Not just surviving but thriving. I am reminded of Viktor Frankl's transcendent concept of "tragic optimism" in his book Man's Search for Meaning. And Maya Angelou's inspiring I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.

Every day in my work, I get to witness the capacity of the human spirit to persist and to prevail, despite suffering and tragedy. It is a privilege that continues to humble me and to touch my heart, so deeply.

I plan to play "Brand New Year," and hand out copies of the lyrics, when I facilitate a therapy group this Thursday or Friday. Then I'll invite the folks to reflect on their experience of listening to the song, and share any personal meaning for them.

How about that? Eric's song as a music therapy group in a psych program.

Of course, this beautiful song--and all of his music--have always been good therapy for our souls, ay?

• Like 5

AnneG   

I apologize for being late to the congratulatory praises.  I was in the UK for Christmas, and that was "Christmas" enough and was not expecting any presents.  Any surprises.  Any thing.  And, much to my delight I was wrong.  Thank you for a wonderful song, the background story so well told, and for bringing the surprise and joy to a windy Christmas day. I was grinning from ear to ear like a 9 year old.  And it felt wonderful!!

• Like 5

MikeD   

BNY is truly an amazing song. Eric has succeeded (again) in composing a song that touches the listener in a special way. You should be extremely proud of yourself, Eric. Music is the biggest common denominator that brings people together, and very few songwriters can do it successfully.

• Like 1

Razzy   

Hauntingly beautiful Eric...thank you so much...I really felt the pain in your voice...just pure...loved it...and always appreciate the commentary...it really gives us the backstory and heartfelt inclinations of the song...

• Like 2

So.... it was my second YouTube video ever. I thought "Hey, why not? YouTube gives it that extra exposure." I don't consider myself artistic, so wasn't easy choosing  photos to use without making it seem super cheesy. I do realize that the lyrics I used contradict what Bernie posted here, but I put it together before seeing the lyrics, using my ear. (It still sounds like he says "we have laid behind us") I'll correct it for the 2015 version :)

• Like 7

birdy   

I got a laugh out of this. For any ghosts that did get laid or cold ass partners (whether physically or mentally) that needed left behind.

• Like 2

LC   

So... I think Blackhawk Pat and Marv should hire Eric's girlfriend to promote their music—and I should hire her to promote by books! 

In 11 days, "Brand New Year" has 21,519 listens at Soundcloud. Not bad at all! And there's much more to come. All of that activity (and the activity to come) can only help stir up interest in The Essential Eric Carmen, which I hope will not only satisfy all of his longtime fans who have been waiting, but will reel in all kinds of new appreciative fans....

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=eric%20carmen%20brand%20new%20year

• Like 6

marlene   

So... I think Blackhawk Pat and Marv should hire Eric's girlfriend to promote their music—and I should hire her to promote by books! 

In 11 days, "Brand New Year" has 21,519 listens at Soundcloud. Not bad at all! And there's much more to come. All of that activity (and the activity to come) can only help stir up interest in The Essential Eric Carmen, which I hope will not only satisfy all of his longtime fans who have been waiting, but will reel in all kinds of new appreciative fans....

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=eric%20carmen%20brand%20new%20year

She's done an amazing job !!! So glad the word continues to spread, and that more and more people are aware of this gorgeous song !    :spin:

• Like 2

James   

I just played the Sound Cloud version a minute ago.  While it was playing my dog got up from napping, walked over to my computer, put his muzzle over the keyboard, listened...and smiled.  Seriously!..

P.S.  As someone said earlier, this should become a New Year´s standard. 

P.P.S. "Brand New Year" also has a romantic element to it, IMHO...that hasn´t been mentioned.   I felt it this last time I listened.

I could see cozying up to the future Mrs. James over this song

(she´d have to pay me for the cozying privilege of course)..  

:-)

• Like 2

James,

Agree BNY has a very romantic element to it and I'm sure everyone who listened felt that immediately.  

All of my pets smile or rock out when they listen to e's music too... 

I refuse to comment on your last (typical) comment.   ;)

M.E.

• Like 1

redd   

Dear c-girl,

And James thought his dog was the only pet that appreciates music. We know Kirks's dog is a music critic as well :)

Regarding the comment by James (just being a typical male) I will not comment either. In some situations, the less said the better.

redd

• Like 1

I just played the Sound Cloud version a minute ago.  While it was playing my dog got up from napping, walked over to my computer, put his muzzle over the keyboard, listened...and smiled.  Seriously!..

P.S.  As someone said earlier, this should become a New Year´s standard. 

P.P.S. "Brand New Year" also has a romantic element to it, IMHO...that hasn´t been mentioned.   I felt it this last time I listened.

I could see cozying up to the future Mrs. James over this song

(she´d have to pay me for the cozying privilege of course)..  

:-)

PSSSST James, Maybe Redd and Cayennegirl will not comment but where I'm from, paying to 'cozy up' can be illegal; depending on how you are 'cozying' of course.

• Like 2

Just in case y'all weren't aware, James was taken by Amazon Martian Women a while back - I'll leave you to ponder those possibilities... 

Also, James lives in Panama... ;)

• Like 2

redd   

Dear c-girl & adelia,

TOO, too funny - loved both posts! Only thing I will add is hahahahahaha.

James is such a good sport, but left himself wide open to comments regarding "payment for privileges"

redd :)

• Like 2

Catnip   

LC, thank you so much for the kind words!!  I am glad you enjoyed Saturday and am looking forward to reading your articles!! Thanks again, you made me smile.

• Like 4

Catnip   

There is a feature story about Eric scheduled for Sunday, January 19th in The Cleveland Plain Dealer. The article will also be available to read online on their website. Watch for it!!

• Like 5

Kirk   

The hope the author wasn't teasing when he said there is a possibility of a tour to support the new album!

• Like 5

Wow!!! Did Larry write an article about Eric's new song??? That's so great!!!
I'm looking forward to read it!!!
And your support to promoting is sooooo great, N.E.!!! :) 

• Like 4