dianed

My sincere apologies.....

dianed   

I know I haven't been around for quite a while and I know I've missed quite a few birthday posts and I sincerely apologize. I've been on a roller coaster ride lately that just won't stop. 

I was working two jobs and lost both of them. I knew my evening job would be ending by the end of this year and I was spending quite a bit of time searching for something else. As luck would have it, I lost my day job the second week of July...through no fault of my own. I was working for an orthopedic surgeon who performed examinations for workers' compensation cases and accident cases. I worked for him for five years and never even met the man. I was in an office where just the paperwork was done. He had five offices throughout the five boroughs where he performed these exams. Well...he was a bad boy!! He was indicted by the district attorney's office for committing perjury while in court and upon further investigation, insurance fraud. Within that same week, he let everyone go and closed the office. He will most definitely lose his license and will probably serve time in jail. A month after that, I lost my evening job. Not good!! I filed for unemployment, but I can only collect from the day job since the evening job was as an independent contractor. I am not getting much from unemployment at all, just under $295 a week. Right after that, my computer decided to stress me out even more and would not cooperate with me. I took it to be repaired and was without it for about a week. The hard drive was cleaned up and I decided to put all my software in myself to save a few bucks. As soon as I got everything in and turned it on I could not get an internet connection. I had phone and TV, but no internet. I wanted to start job searching. I called the cable company and they assured me the problem was not with the internet...the problem was me not paying the bill!! Ooops!! I had used that money to pay for the computer repairs and to pay the electric bill. They let me slide and keep the phone and TV but would not turn on the internet connection until I had made the back payments. Oh well!! So, I started going to the unemployment office and use those computers for my job searching. I went twice to three times a week, sent out tons of resumes and finally landed an interview. The pay was good...the benefits were good and it was work I was very familiar with. The interview lasted an hour and a half and the office manager even hugged me after the interview!! I thought my problems were solved. The next day, I went back to the unemployment office to use the computer and sent her a follow up email thanking her for the opportunity for the interview. Well, I never received another call. I called twice and left messages, but no response. So...back to the job search. It is so frustrating. There are literally no jobs available. And...if there are jobs, you have to be bilingual, trilingual or quad-lingual in order to qualify or they want you to be highly experienced and only offer a salary of $8 an hour. Most companies aren't even offering full time work any longer. They are looking for part time workers to avoid offering medical benefits. 

I honestly don't know how I'm surviving. I don't even have any family that I can go to for some help. It's just me and the cat, who I take care of before I take care of myself. On what I am collecting from unemployment, I have to pay rent, electric, cable, car insurance, gas and I do like to eat once in a while. Thank goodness I don't own one credit card so I am completely debt free. I'm lucky that I've been with the same landlord for 20 years. He told me I can continue to live here without paying any rent until I get back on my feet and then start paying the rent and add a little extra until it's paid up. He's been wonderful to me, but what if I can't find a job? I can't just not pay any rent. That's not my nature. But I'm glad I do have that option. 

I finally paid my cable bill and I threw in a little extra for next month (I took that little extra from the electric bill that I was going to pay), so in a few months, I'll have internet, but no juice going through the wires! How do things get bad so fast ???? 

Oh...and about these government agencies that are supposed to help you if you need it...don't believe it!! If you speak English or don't have ten kids trailing behind you...you get nothing!! That's what pisses me off the most!! I've worked two and three jobs all my life...I've paid into this...I'm entitled to this...but not according to them. 

So...I hope this explains where I've been for the past two months. I feel so frazzled, but I'm determined to keep on going and keep positive that I will find work before the year is over. If nothing turns up, I already have a busy street corner picked out. 

Now...if you'll excuse me...I have a lot of reading to do on this board!!

redd   

Dear dianed,

You certainly HAVE been on a rollercoastet ride in life's 'amusement park'-getting nauseous with no Dramamine in sight!

You sound like a very strong person & that determination will carry you through. It's so absurd that a skilled person cannot find employment after being in the workforce for years.

When life's burdens seem to be a heavy load, I've always turned to music to carry me through. It's won't be of any help with employment, but it will brighten your outlook & feed your soul.

Keep your chin up & I'm hoping there is a great job waiting for you just around the corner (not implying the STREET corner)!!

Wishing you the best!

redd

• Like 1

Dianed,

Life isn't always easy on us, but Redd truly is right about the ability of music to carry us through difficult times in a spiritual sense. 

Most of us can identify with your current situation in one way or another, and I hope you will find the strength to keep going forward. 

Will certainly send some positive thoughts your way.

M.E.

• Like 1

Wow Diane..I don't even know where to begin..and I thought my life was tough. I am so glad your landlord has given you the option even if you don't use it. And maybe you don't have family that can/will help, but you do have friends here. Maybe some that can even turn you onto a job. You are a fantastic lady and I know something good is meant to come your way. I am glad that you are healthy and not in the hospital tho.

Just enjoy reading some posts and let your friends lend an ear, even if its only to let you vent (which I hope helps). I think you have my number...and if you don't and ever want to talk...let me know and I will ring you up.

You've been missed here very much Diane and I am sure I am not the only one who feels that way.

Glad to see you...Valorie :grin::heartpump:

• Like 3

MikeC   

We don't mind. Always here for you. Some of your local churches, sometimes give a bag of food to those in need.

You can ask your friends about additional office availabilities, like orthopedic surgeons, neurologists, etc. and foot doctors.

All of these are busy offices.

James   

Diane,

Hi, it's me, James. I am sorry to hear about the tough times but for some reason I don't worry about you. I know you'll come through this in flying colors.  It's clear from your posts here that you are a special person.  

I wish you the best...and keep posting!..It's a treat for us to read your stuff.

P.S.  You are good!!!.... - tugging at my heart strings so that I will let you into The James Harem (after your 10,016th application).  But...it's a no go.  You should know that no matter how many times you apply you cannot meet the age requirement (no members over 19).

Though word is out on the street that Marvin is starting up The Marvin Harem which will be specializing in old chicks.  I'd be glad to send a reference letter to Marvin on your behalf, if you want.

:-)

Wow...I hope your bad luck is OVER...there has got to be a turnaround ahead.  Just one day at a time.  Thank goodness you have an understanding landlord and a roof over your head.  I hope the days ahead are brighter; draw strength from your many friends here.

dianed   

Thank's everyone for the words of encouragement.  I certainly need it !!  I'm going nuts not working. 

I sent in a resume at the beginning of the week to a huge medical company (kidney dialysis) that's about 3 miles from me.  They responded Friday afternoon by email and I have a phone interview set up on Tuesday morning.  I sure hope this leads to a sit down interview.  The job is only part time....seems that's all that's out there now, but I'll take anything I can get at this point.  I just want to get back into working mode and feel productive again. 

• Like 2

Diane,

We haven't met but you sound like a great person.  At least you have medical field skills and that should certainly help you find something. 

p.s.  That James is quite the guy, huh?

• Like 1

marvin   

Diane and I have a history. She was in my harem before there was even such a thing. Take care, my friend. I'll give you a call soon. It's been too long.

• Like 1

LC   

Hang in there, my friend. You've been through a lot, but you are "tougher than the rest," as Springsteen once said. And as my old publisher always said, Onward and upward!

Diane..I know you like to be busy..even if it is only part-time for now...so I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for your job interview. (Not that you'll need it...I know you'll knock their sox off.. :D

marlene   

Diane !!! It's so good to see you back !  Please know I'm here, if there's anything I can do....message me if you don't still have my # ...we need to catch up, girlfriend.  :)  Love you ! 

dianed   

Well, I had the phone interview which led to a sit down interview this past Friday.  The HR department told me the job was 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  I went to the interview and everything was going fine until the physician told me the job was only for Saturday's.  The company already has someone full time during the day and someone else working evening hours.    Damn !! One day is not going to help me.  I think he noticed my disappointment.  So far, I haven't gotten any calls to see if they came to a decision.  

On 10/23/2013 at 9:26 PM, dianed said:

Well, I had the phone interview which led to a sit down interview this past Friday.  The HR department told me the job was 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  I went to the interview and everything was going fine until the physician told me the job was only for Saturday's.  The company already has someone full time during the day and someone else working evening hours.    Damn !! One day is not going to help me.  I think he noticed my disappointment.  So far, I haven't gotten any calls to see if they came to a decision.  

Boy...You can't catch a freakin' break! My fingers are crossed for you Diane!

Tim

James   

The road to new greatness (the road I sense you are on) ..has its ups and downs.  You will hit an up soon, I¨m sure.

P.S.  If you spent more time applying for jobs... instead of applying to The James Harem for membership... you might have more luck. 

Geeez!

;-)

• Like 1

Diane, I'm not sure of the area you are in, but are there temp agencies you can sign with?  That miscommunication between the HR dept. and the physician is so disappointing.  Chin up dear!!

dianed   

Still haven't found a job but honestly for the past month and a half I really haven't been looking. I've had far more serious problems. I was busy killing bees !!  My apartment became infested with yellow jackets !  I started noticing a few here and there during the summer and thought they were getting into the house from the window air conditioners.  I told the landlord about the problem and his fix was duct tape.  Really !!   I was still getting a few here and there but didn't make too much of it.  When the ACs came out of the window, that's when the problems really started.  I was waking up with bites all over my arms. At first I thought I had bed bugs (YIKES!!) but upon careful inspection, I found absolutely nothing.  Then I noticed tons of dead bees on the floor under the bedroom window.  Within a few days, they were all over the house but I noticed they were coming from the bedroom and the office, which is a second bedroom right next to the main one.  The tree outside my window was infested with bees !!  I told the landlord and instead of getting an exterminator, he chopped down the tree and just left it in the yard.  Einstein !!  So, now the bees take up residence and build a hive in the gutter right outside the window and start making their way into the siding on the house and into the walls.  It's now getting to the point that I can't even sleep in the bedroom or use the computer in the office.  So, I call the landlord....again....the day he is to leave for vacation.  I was on my way out when he came over and he got up on a ladder poured a gallon of bleach into the gutter thinking this would do the trick.  Isn't he smart ????  Well, when I got home an hour later, the bedroom and office was swarming with bees !!  I guess the bleach really pissed them off !!  They were all over the curtains, the bed, the walls...it looked like a horror movie !!   I shut the doors to both rooms, called him hysterical and told him I was calling an exterminator.  He told me that I had to pay for it !  Yeah..right !! I'll pay for it...but the money was coming out of the rent money.  So, the bug man comes within a half an hour and he takes out a stethescope and gives the walls a listen and finds that these bees are not only living in a hive in the gutter, they are living inside the bedroom wall !!  Now, I'm really freaking out and I'm ready to torch the house.  So, he sprays the entire room and the office and makes a hole in the wall and shoots some stuff inside and tells me I can't go in the room for about 2 days.  This insecticide he used must have really made the lil' darlins' really angry and they were trying to escape and I now have them flying around the rest of the apartment.  I have found that hair spray works much better than good old bug spray.  It glues their wings together and they plummet to the floor so you can beat the life out of them !!   I was walking around with a can of hair spray in  both hands.  Then comes the night time.  I was sleeping on the floor in the living room with all the lights on and with one eye open.  That did not work.  The bees were all over.  So, for three nights, I slept in the driveway in my car.  On the fourth day, the exterminator came back and did another swoop of spraying and he now uses sone sort of powder on the floors and the windowsills. I now go out and get an air mattress to avoid sleeping one more night in the car.  Again...I'm sleeping with one eye open.  Needless to say...I haven't gotten much sleep.  I then notice that my poor little cat is acting  funny. She's not eating that much and she is very lethargic.  I find a huge lump on her back and its full of dried blood.  I clean it up and notice a bleeding lesion. I take her to the vet the next day, and he pulls out two huge bee stingers !!  She then needed surgery to remove the bleeding lesion and clean out the infection. More money to shell out !!  All this because of bees !!  

So, the landlord comes back from vacation as if nothing happened and actually wants the rent.  I sit him down with a piece of paper and a pen.  I deducted the price of the exterminator, the price of the air mattress and pump, the amount of two rooms that are uninhabitable plus the cost of the surgery for the cat.  My calculations showed that he owed ME money !!  He just got up and walked away. He was probably contemplating my demise or my eviction but little did he know that I am much smarter than he thinks.  Every day I walked into the two rooms that were sprayed and found tons of dead bees.  I have a jar full of dead bees in a solution of alcohol for my evidence just in case he decides to take me to court and I have pictures.  

The exterminator made another visit on Monday.  He does not hear any more buzzing from inside the walls.  He fells that they are in the big hive in the sky.  

I now have to clean up that room, wash everything and get a new mattress all because this issue was not addressed by the landlord months ago when I told him about the problem.  He does this all the time.  He always waits until the 11th hour to act upon anything and it winds up costing him plenty.  His house, his walls, his tree, his bees....his money but I was the one who suffered.  I still have sting marks all over me.  

I took this one step further. I gave him the DVD of "The Super" and told him he really needs to watch it each and every month when the rent is due.  'Nuff said !!  

Honestly, I can't wait for this damn year to be over !!  I'll be doing my happy dance !!