Raspbernie

NEW Paul McCartney Music

Umm... "New!" It's getting lots of buzz, really amazing for guy Paul's age. It has an instant familiar sound to it.

What do you think?

Bernie

• Like 3

Bernie, This new song certainly does have a charming and familiar sound/style so many of us have come to enjoy over these many years.  If you told me Piano Van Guys wrote this song I'd think it was amazing.  As for amazing at his age - it is PAUL we are talking about here.  :)

• Like 2

Kirk   

I have a lot of respect for guys like Paul and Bruce Springsteen, who keep putting it out there year after year.  The last Springsteen offering, (what was it...We Take Care Of Our Own?)  was Springsteen's signature sound, formulaic- but not catchy.  I gave it several listens, and it never felt like a hit.  Paul has reached deep into his bag and pulled out a sound that is instantly recognizable- the difference being- I think Paul has a hit on his hands.  Catchy song! 

• Like 3

GMan   

"I was alone, I took a ride, I didn't know what I would find there". That immediately came to mind after first hearing this tune...and I love what I hear....Paul is "Get-ting Back"! :) 

• Like 2

redd   

Haha GMan, I like the musical play-on-words :) I agree with the previous posts & love the familiar Beatlesque sound of this song. Have always had a lot of respect & admiration for Paul, he can do no wrong by me.

What an amazing career he has had & is continuing to have!

Rock on, Paul..

• Like 2

marvin   

I have a lot of respect for guys like Paul and Bruce Springsteen, who keep putting it out there year after year.  The last Springsteen offering, (what was it...We Take Care Of Our Own?)  was Springsteen's signature sound, formulaic- but not catchy.  I gave it several listens, and it never felt like a hit.  Paul has reached deep into his bag and pulled out a sound that is instantly recognizable- the difference being- I think Paul has a hit on his hands.  Catchy song! 

I'm not totally sold on "New", although it certainly has Paul's identifiable sound, and I do like the coda.

As far as Bruce is concerned, in my opinion, "Wrecking Ball' (the album) is among the Top 5 albums Bruce has released.  

Kirk   

I'm not totally sold on "New", although it certainly has Paul's identifiable sound, and I do like the coda.

As far as Bruce is concerned, in my opinion, "Wrecking Ball' (the album) is among the Top 5 albums Bruce has released.  

I haven't heard anything else off of "Wrecking Ball" (the album)...just the one song.  I'm glad Bruce is still making his fans happy!

Kirk   

Also, as Marvin is fully aware from our past discussions, I'm not from the 'Paul can do no wrong' school of music.  I think Paul has had more than his fair share of clunkers and filler on his albums over the years.  I just listened to this tune again...catchy!!

Kirk, 

I agree with what you are saying about some filler over the years in Paul's music - but not clunkers. I've also listened to this new tune a couple of times and although "catchy" for sure, I'm undecided about buying at this point.   

Kirk   

'Clunkers' may have been a little too harsh...I'll stick with filler.  I am spoiled by Eric's quality of songs per album vs. what other artists are willing to release.

• Like 2

redd   

Hey Kirk,

Yeah, clunker was a bit harsh, will accept 'filller' as a better description :) Thx...

When I said Paul can do no wrong, I really meant he could never lose my respect or admiration as a fan. I imagine several singers/songwriters are guilty of filler now & again.

You're right, we are spoiled by the quality of EC's material. Being the ultimate professional, he will never compromise the integrity of his music.

Sounds like Michael Buble's "Haven't Met You Yet". For so many years, McCartney was such a prolific songwriter. He really desires to write something special and I want him to too - but it's been so l long. I remember, even in the late 80's, when the audience had his set list during his concerts, two "new" songs in a row and it was obviously time for a massive bathroom break as the aisles filled up.

• Like 1

I think people like to hear new music from their favorite people/artists from time to time.

However, more often than not, it seems as if we all tend to "connect" more with the older stuff which we loved back when for one reason or another.  Those intense positive emotions certainly stick with us. 

marvin   

Also, as Marvin is fully aware from our past discussions, I'm not from the 'Paul can do no wrong' school of music.  I think Paul has had more than his fair share of clunkers and filler on his albums over the years.  I just listened to this tune again...catchy!!

While each listener has their opinion as to what qualifies as a "clunker", I actually think Kirk is spot on using the word. I've got every single record Paul has ever released (officially), and there are many, many songs in his catalogue that leave me scratching my head. Again it's all subjective.

I think people like to hear new music from their favorite people/artists from time to time.

However, more often than not, it seems as if we all tend to "connect" more with the older stuff which we loved back when for one reason or another.  Those intense positive emotions certainly stick with us. 

I'll never forget a McCartney concert years ago when Paul began singing "Once there was a way, to get back......." a guy sitting in front of me clenched his fists, raised his arms, looked up to the heavens and in an almost crying voice yelled YES. I was so happy he could experience the flood of emotions, memories or whatever. Music can be so wonderful in that way.

Even in '74, when Raspberries were performing in Atlanta, one can hear audience members on the recording my brother made shouting "Play some old ones". The fourth album hadn't been released yet and there were NO songs played from their second and only one, GATW, from their first. We were like a bunch of Raspberries junkies sitting out there waiting to get our "Let's Pretend" or "I Can Remember" fix. Eventually, the braver addicts started calling out. Don't get me wrong, we loved the concert and enjoyed the new tunes and the Side Three songs as well. We left the concert thinking that Scott's songs were magical and included at least one hit.

• Like 2

I have a background in psychology which I share only because of the experiences we're discussing re our intense love of the older music v. our lesser love of the newer music of our favorite artists, overall.  Our need to connect with those intense emotions must  be something in our DNA.  Your post above brings up the words "junkies" and "addicts" which is I think an interesting view on this topic. 

Can I admit to being addicted to EC and his music and all those goosebumps, etc. I'm so looking forward to when the new cds are released??  Guess I have to...(SIGH)...say...YES!  :)

Per The Power of Music: Pioneering Discoveries in the New Science of Song by Elena Mannes, 2011, a cross-genre violinist known as DBR says:

...one reason music is so powerful is that sound actually penetrates our bodies...that's a very intimate act.  I am literally touching you, and when you speak to me you are literally touching me.  And then we extend that principle to the sound of a violin...

sllvnbil   

I like the song. I just wished he didn't sound so much like an old lady when he sings anymore,, particularly the line "All My Life". I know that sounds very mean and nit picky,, I don't mean to be,,, I guess we all still want Paul to sound like "Paul". Wings era McCartney in my opinion is when he was singing his best. He's still my favorite singer!

• Like 1

Whew, after all that talk about penetrating each other and all that touching... well, I'm lighting up a cigarette right now. Hope it was good for everyone.

• Like 2