Eric Carmen

The Essential Eric Carmen

darlene   

I was at that 1976 Bottom Line show and am SO excited that you chose "Starting Over" from that show to put on the album instead! Can't wait for this one!

And SOOOO happy for you!

:)--Dar

• Like 1

Eric, sounds like you experienced several magnificent, magical days in New York.

We never know how the marvel and mystery of life will unfold. Often, it's in seeming coincidences. Like the buildings being the same, decades apart. Of course, there are few true coincidences. What is true, and paradoxical, is that the arc of life can come full circle.

If we can only notice, the wondrous and the sacred shows up in the day's events.

So, congratulations. This project was meant to be. Well-deserved. Long-time coming. I can't wait.

On a personal note, I am wishin' and hopin' that "Someone That You Loved Before" is on this baby. If you could be so kind as to let me know now, I could prepare. Either way, I will trust it was meant to be, and love it still.

• Like 1

Sweet Wonderful Eric,

When is the actual release date of your upcoming rockin' CD?  I know the ECCT is excitedly working on the cover, and I am patiently and excitedly waiting to get my hands on this long-awaited prize.  :)

XO...

(Bernie, could you possibly answer this question for the fans - with EC being so busy?  THANKS!)

Kirk   
On 8/22/2013 at 10:15 AM, Raspbernie said:

Latest is the release may be delayed... so Sony and Eric can work on putting something even more special into the collection.

That could be interpreted as 'something new' to go with the 'something old'!  Pretty exciting!!

• Like 1

Kirk   

Eric was working on something a few years back- we got a couple of updates on the message board- could it be that song?

Kirk, I'm reasonably certain E will answer your question, but we all may have to wait until the CD is released to get the answers to our questions (I await excitedly!) :D.

redd   
On 8/22/2013 at 1:18 PM, Cayennegirl said:

Kirk, I think E said previously Sony wants him to write something new.  That's what I would anticipate and that's rockin' good news, right?!!  :)

Dear (spicy) cayennegirl - Great minds like ours think alike :rolleyes: How amazing would that be to have a new song or two on the CD, maybe even a PROMO TOUR!!

I know, I know....the very thought has your heart fluttering :wub:

• Like 1

Redd-girl, You know me very well, but you are completely understating my responses to your mentioned E-related possibilities!! (Any opportunity for adoration... :wub:).

• Like 1

Nothing that has been written or recorded before will be part of the one or two new tracks on the 30 track CD. These will be brand new, and my only dilemma is trying to decide what approach to take to writing a new song after 17 years.

I promise, if I add a couple of tracks to this release, they won't suck. As a matter of fact, I've been listening to the reference discs in my car and thinking "Hell, I was really in the zone on that first and second album!!!!!!

Rachmaninoff wrote his first piano concerto, and , when it was previewed, the first time , on stage , with an orchestra, in was an unmitigated DISASTER!!!!!  He was so devastated by it's complete failure and lack of acceptance by the public, that he went into a depression that lasted TEN YEARS, during which he could write nothing. It took him TEN YEARS, with the help of a psychiatrist, to write his second piano concerto, which has now become his most famous work, and is the melody for the verse of "All By Myself." ( The piano interlude is entirely mine). He eventually dedicated the second piano concerto to his psychiatrist ( We writers are a weird, tormented bunch ). I promise you, that, if there is a new track, or two on the new Sony album, they will only be there because 1) They were something completely new ....and 2) They were brilliant enough for me to not have to worry that my biggest fans thought I was " past it."

If I can't write something every bit good as my stuff from the past, I won't submit it. I think I can. Hahahaha!!!!! I just have to find the right topic, the right approach, and come up with a melody and a bridge as beautiful as any I have ever written. If I can't do that, I won't just throw something in there because it's "new." I'm pretty sure I can, and that's my challenge, Write something at 64 that's as meaningful as anything I wrote when I was 24, or 34, or 44. 

It's not an easy assignment, as anyone who has observed Paul McCartney's latest "best efforts" testifies. Billy Joel has pretty much quit recording, Springsteen, ( God Bless Him ) continues to try to find something new and relevant, and he seems to be increasingly drawn toward MY INFLUENCES, the Beach Boys,, The Who, The Beatles, The Stones, and The Byrds.

I may find myself increasingly drawn toward Bruce's influence, Bob Dylan, who I never paid much attention to, back in the day.

I always loved the writers. Carole King and Gerry Goffin, Phil Spector, Barry Mann and Cynthia Wiel, Holland, Dozier and Holland, Burt Bacharach and Hal David, Leonard Bernstein and Steven Sondhiem ( West Side Story ) Rodgers and Hammerstein, Henry Mancini, and of course,The Gershwins, Hoagy Carmichael, and every other great writer of the 40's and 50's that wrote the songs that shaped my musical life. And all of the classical composers I loved: Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Satie, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach. Brahms, Sibelius...These were GIANTS among ordinary mortals. They heard the voice of God. Occasionally, in our generation, we have heard that voice. It came through Lennon and McCartney, Brian Wilson, Don Henley and Glenn Frey and J.D.Souther and Jackson Browne, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Pete Townsend, Jagger and Richards, Marvin Gaye, and those few artists that connected with the "universal." The ability to create something new that, when you heard it, you knew it spoke to you directly. That's what I have always tried to be,  just as F. Scott Fitzgerald inspired every lyric I wrote on "Boats Against The Current."His short stories and "The Great Gatsby" were the story of my life, written in the most beautiful prose I could have ever imagined, by a midwestern author who had the greatest command of the English language that I have ever read. 

My goal has always been to combine my love of literature with my love of music, and try to create something unique, that listeners identified with, both musically and lyrically. I've not always been successful, but even the songs on the new album like "Hey Deanie" and "Someday", in their proper context, accomplish their goal. 

And what is that goal, you might ask?

It is to move your heart and your mind to tears or elation, while making the hair on your arms stand on end. That's always what the best, greatest music did to me, and that has been my intent, every time I wrote a song since I was 21.

May you experience goosebumps, every time you listen to the new Sony double album. It is the proudest thing, and the closest to what I envisioned for most of these 30 tracks that I have ever experienced. Many of these tracks give ME goosebumps!!

That's saying something!

God bless Tim Smith at Sony.

None of this would have ever happened without his enthusiasm and dedication. He just might be the guy that, after 40 years in the music biz, is so into my music, that he might just breathe new life into my roller coaster career.

Send your thanks and fan letters to him.

He is the angel sitting on my shoulder, right next to Bernie and Ken Sharp, and all of you who have believed in me from the beginning.

I thank you all for you continued, undying support.

You have no idea how much it means to me.

xoxoxoxo

e

• Like 13

Eric,

Okay, so now THIS is definitely my favorite post so far :wub:!!

From the moment I met you, (before you recorded your first song) I knew you were then, and would always be a star my baby. 

(I also send much gratitude to to Tim, Bernie and Ken for continuing to help this amazing man through the twists and turns life sometimes has to offer).

Sending you so much love always EC,

Eric;

In fact this is my very first message to you on this forum. I haven't been hesitating, just couldn't log in with my old lovely Mac, haha!

The news and your updates are really made my day! Can't wait. Will send my thanks to Mr. Smith. Promise. :)

• Like 1

You're so cute EC (and so exact), but we all certainly know what you meant to say. 

p.s.  It's so GREAT to see you on here today posting...I'm positively gettin' the vapors...where's my fainting couch when I need it?... ;)

xo

• Like 1

marvin   

So I've probably missed it somewhere, but I've only heard mention of some live tracks and some tracks from the first solo album. Does the "Essential" contain any music from later albums, specifically the "Tonight You're Mine" album? I'd love a re-master of something like "It Hurts Too Much" - a version where those castanets are pounding in my ears ;)

• Like 1

Kirk   

Quoting Eric:

..."I always loved the writers. Carole King and Gerry Goffin, Phil Spector, Barry Mann and Cynthia Wiel, Holland, Dozier and Holland, Burt Bacharach and Hal David, Leonard Bernstein and Steven Sondhiem ( West Side Story ) Rodgers and Hammerstein, Henry Mancini, and of course,The Gershwins, Hoagy Carmichael, and every other great writer of the 40's and 50's that wrote the songs that shaped my musical life. And all of the classical composers I loved: Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Satie, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach. Brahms, Sibelius...These were GIANTS among ordinary mortals. They heard the voice of God. Occasionally, in our generation, we have heard that voice. It came through Lennon and McCartney, Brian Wilson, Don Henley and Glenn Frey and J.D.Souther and Jackson Browne, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Pete Townsend, Jagger and Richards, Marvin Gaye, and those few artists that connected with the "universal." The ability to create something new that, when you heard it, you knew it spoke to you directly. That's what I have always tried to be, just as F. Scott Fitzgerald inspired every lyric I wrote on "Boats Against The Current."His short stories and "The Great Gatsby" were the story of my life, written in the most beautiful prose I could have ever imagined, by a midwestern author who had the greatest command of the English language that I have ever read.

My goal has always been to combine my love of literature with my love of music, and try to create something unique, that listeners identified with, both musically and lyrically. I've not always been successful, but even the songs on the new album like "Hey Deanie" and "Someday", in their proper context, accomplish their goal.

And what is that goal, you might ask?

It is to move your heart and your mind to tears or elation, while making the hair on your arms stand on end. That's always what the best, greatest music did to me, and that has been my intent, every time I wrote a song since I was 21.

May you experience goosebumps, every time you listen to the new Sony double album. It is the proudest thing, and the closest to what I envisioned for most of these 30 tracks that I have ever experienced. Many of these tracks give ME goosebumps!!"

Wow, Eric! Just wow!

You put into words what my mind has known and my heart has felt for all these years. Great post!!

• Like 2

Eric...I have no doubt that the 'new' music you may or may not include will definately have the 'hair' on my arms standing up...just your post did that...you sound very passionate about your new project and that alone excites your fans...

Love, Peace and thanks to Tim, Bernie and Ken...for keeping the melody alive... :)

• Like 2