Sign in to follow this  
Duane

Eric: Have You Ever Wanted To Change A Lyric?

Duane   

From the Boats Blog, we could see the effort you put into getting the lyrics exactly right. It was interesting to see the song evolve into the Boats that we know (without the background vocals, of course!). I wonder if you've ever wanted to change a lyric after it was too late...after the song was recorded. If so, does it drive you crazy to hear the song without the change? Would you care to share the song and lyric with us...if such a song does exist. Thanks.

Along the same lines, how do you know when the song is finished, the creative juices are complete, you say yep that's it and the song is ready to record?

before Cartman can chime in, I will suggest that Eric would like to changed "Bomp-om-do-doh-woah-mop-shoop" to "Bop-um-doo-doe-woe-mawp-shoe"....slight difference, but I think it would have made the song a top fiver...

Seriously, although I have cringed at a few of the high melody notes Eric has hit in his finished products,...IT IS A TRIBUTE TO HIS GENIUS THAT I CANNOT THINK OF ANY LYRICS ERIC HAS WRITTEN THAT I WOULD CHANGE!...Other than limiting the number of "Baby" repeats in a song or two.

Kirk   
Tony Cartmill said:

IT IS A TRIBUTE TO HIS GENIUS THAT I CANNOT THINK OF ANY LYRICS ERIC HAS WRITTEN THAT I WOULD CHANGE!...

Totally agree, Tony! Those lyrics reflect where Eric was at when each of those songs were written. Could you find other words that might convey the same thoughts or feelings? Maybe, but it wouldn't capture his emotions as succintly as the words Eric so carefully chose at that moment in time :cool:

Kirk   

O.k., if push came to shove, I'm guessing this is the one line Eric might consider changing:

"Then she put my hand in her pants"

Maybe not quite so direct :D

Kirk   

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is...

Original lyric:

Took me so long to get up my courage
Never thought she'd give me a chance
Took her out and told her I loved her
Then she put my hand in her pants

Rewrite:

Took me so long to get up my courage
Never thought she'd give me a chance
Took her out and told her I loved her
Then she paused and slipped off her pants

:D

Kirk   

Grrrrrr!  The home page (right hand side) shows Eric posting on this topic today...must have gotten lost in the transition!

The listing on the Home Page is connected to the old Board, which I took offline on Friday. I haven't gotten around to feeding posts from the new Board there yet. Still, it's possible that Eric may have still posted on the old Board as an Administrator while it was closed. Let me look into it.

Bernie

Eric's post from last night (and it's a good one!):

"I've been a-boogie since I ditched the stroller."

I'm sure I could have come up with something much better than that, but, at the time, I must have mentally blocked, and just couldn't think of anything. I was probably locked into finding a rhyme for "roller," and for reasons I do not understand, never thought to use "false rhymes" like "cola," "Lola", "know ya'".

The whole lyric of "All Through The Night" is a bit over the top, but Mike Mcbride wrote most of it, and "it is what it is."

Not much else I can think of.
  • Like 6

James   

Well, imperfect or not, "I've been a-boogie since I ditched the stroller"..is one of the best rock & roll lines ever, IMHO.

James

• Like 3

I always thought it was " I've been a boogying since I ditched the stroller"  A classic line. Even my "hip" Cleveland friends who hated (never gave a true listen to) the Raspberries loved that line! Best line by Eric?  "bound with a hope made of heroes and hopes...)

Kirk   
On 4/28/2013 at 7:50 AM, Raspbernie said:

Eric's post from last night (and it's a good one!):

Thanks for flushing that out, B!   

On 4/28/2013 at 10:26 AM, James said:

Well, imperfect or not, "I've been a-boogie since I ditched the stroller"..is one of the best rock & roll lines ever, IMHO.

Gotta agree with you James... I obviously really like that line because it's been my signature line here...  :wub:   Jean

• Like 2

Duane   

Thanks for the reply Eric...and thanks Bernie for saving it from the old forum.

I've got a couple in mind that I'd like to ask you about...if I can ever get up my nerve. It seems sacrilegious to question an Eric Carmen lyric. 

Duane   

Kirk...I wish EC had commented on that line, I've always wondered about it.

I remember how shocked I was when I first heard it (as a 19 year old in 1980).

At the time, all I knew was EC's solo music (I wasn't aware of his Raspberrie past) and that line seemed so un-Eric Carmen.

Now I know he's written some strong lyrics, but I still think this is his "crudest" lyric....and I bet changing it has never crossed his mind.

I think he wanted it to be crude...I'm just not sure why.

He had too many safe options to rhyme with chance (dance, romance, stance, glance, etc.) for that line to be an accident.

As for why...I can think of many reasons. Since it ended up being his last Arista album, was he trying to save his (Arista) career? Was he trying to please Clive Davis with edgier material?

Was he trying to disprove Clive's "Once you go pop you can't go back" opinion? Was he (and/or Clive) trying to create a controversial radio single to revive EC's career?

Was it any of the above or none of the above. I'd love to hear EC's backstory on that line.

• Like 1

Kirk   

Duane- I never pictured Eric as a 'shock jock', so I'd be interested on his comments regarding this lyric, also. I was hoping my re-write would catch his eye (not that I would ever be so bold as to suggest different lyrics to Eric). Maybe he'll see it this time around and give us the inside story.

• Like 1

Kirk and Duane,

"TYM" is definitely going to be on the new CD, so I hope Eric will respond to your most interesting questions.  I'm sure there's a good story to be told!!

Mary Ellen