Sign in to follow this  
Kirk

Bird watchers...

Kirk   

...got a treat last week when several California Condors decided to touch down on a roof top in Tehachapi:

Kirk   

Ah,...NASCAR is even putting advertising space on ugly birds now... cool

"Powered by road kill"!

Oh, you meant the tag number wink

WOW!!! look at the size of those birds!! We make comment when sparrows walk on our roof nd the noise they make, I can't even begin to imagine the noise these beauties must make!!

We don't have anything here anywhere near that size!

Kirk   

Muzza, not that close! With a wingspan of 9 feet, a Califonia Condor looks like Rodan when it makes a fly by!!

Kirk   

They're cute, aren't they!?! I don't have any kids, Belle- just animals! I was just using this picture I found for perspective on the size of a California Condor.

Kirk   

Yes, Jean, really big vultures. They're numbers were down to a couple of dozen when they plucked them out of the wild for a captive breeding program. Besides getting caught in power lines, they succumbed to hunters as well as eating carrion that caused lead poisoning from buckshot. After bringing the number of birds back into the hundreds, the next challenge was to release them back into the wild and have them reestablish their old range, from the Santa Barbara area into the Tehachapi's and Sierra's, even establishing a flock in the Grand Canyon. Preservationists would not be thrilled seeing this many birds so close to people, but it's an awesome sight to see in person!

GMan   

Very Impressive, Kirk! Man, they are huge.....and nasty looking....just like our Japanese buddy "Rodan"....lol.

Thanks Kirk...I haven't lived in Calif since 1992, but I clearly remember all the talk about saving the Condors...Glad to hear there has been success..but they sure are intimidating lookin' dudes...

Jean