Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

Raspberries Rollswagen

From Eric Carmen: Marathon Man—

Capitol Records, in tandem with teenybopper publication iStar Magazine, held a nationwide sweepstakes in 1973 as a special promotion for the release of Raspberries’ fourth single, “Let’s Pretend.” The prize was a custom-made raspberry-colored “Rollswagen.”

The Rollswagen was a specially built Volkswagen customized to look like a miniature Rolls Royce. The contest entry form—printed in Star Magazine and depicted on a special picture sleeve accompanying every purchase of the “Let’s Pretend” 45 single—indicated that the automobile, designed by car customization king George Barris, featured a “special raspberry-pearl paint” and had a green vinyl top.

Barris created such infamous customized cars as the Batmobile, Monkeemobile and the Munsters Koach. Teens were asked to fill in the entry form indicating which bandmember—Eric, Wally, Jim, or Dave—was the “foxiest” and why. One hundred second prizes of Raspberries LPs, as well as an unnamed number of consolation prizes consisting of “raspberry jam and ice cream gift certificates from Capitol Records” were also awarded.

Bernie

• Like 2

Teens were asked to fill in the entry form indicating which bandmember—Eric, Wally, Jim, or Dave—was the “foxiest†and why.

OMGOSH! I remember stuff like this from 16 and Tigerbeat magazines.

Hmmmmm...my answer would have been simple.

Who is the “foxiest†band member: Eric.

Why?: Duh!

I know! I would have won!

• Like 1

Great picture of the band...I am surprised that there is no color film of the Rollswagen..considering the color was the main event... frown

Love the pictures all the same; the boys looked HOT... cool Jean

• Like 1

With enough time and money, looking for it would be fun. My instincts tell me that it escaped the crusher but sits somewhere in a junk field rusted out and barely recognizable. Still, assuming the right "matching numbers", and a boatload of money, it could be restored to its former glory. Imagine driving it through Times Square blaring "Let's Pretend" through its 8 track.

• Like 1

I would love to find the name of the girl who won it. Maybe someone in Florida can search for articles in library archives on the contest winner. Jim Bonfanti remembers getting a key to the city by the mayor of the town, so it would definitely have generated newspaper articles.

Bernie

AnneNR   

George Barris is legendary in his designs!  These are absolutely wonderful photos --- Thanks, Bernie.  Thanks LateToTheParty.  Since I never followed teen mags back then, I can see there were some great stuff like this (custom cars for the stars!) that I didn't get to read about until much later.  Flashbacks like this are the best !!  :D :D :D

AnneNR

6  6

__/

• Like 3