Sign in to follow this  
marvin

10 Artists that define RnR for me...

marvin   

The definition of Rock and Roll found in Dictionary.com is,

Quote:
a style of popular music that derives in part from blues and folk music and is marked by a heavily accented beat and a simple, repetitive phrase structure.
Hmm...sounds a little trite and not too complimentary, I’d say. Wikipedia’s definition speaks more to the roots of Rock:
Quote:
Rock and roll is a genre of popular music that originated and evolved in the United States during the late 1940s and early 1950s, primarily from a combination of African American blues, country, jazz, and gospel music.
Whichever definition hits the mark for you, chances are that what I define as rock might not be the same as your definition.

In an effort to delve into what it means to me, I’ve listed 10 acts that have defined rock for me. I’m certain that many of you will feel that I’m way off base with some of my choices, so I’m ready for a healthy debate. It’s all subjective anyway, right? Just because acts like Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin are not on my list only means that their music didn’t move me like others who are on my list did. Heck I consider Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly to be innovators and among the forefathers of rock, but they’re not on my list either. So with that caveat in mind, here goes:

1. Elvis: His influence on culture, style and music is undeniable, and incalculable. If there had been no Elvis, there would have been no...

2. The Beatles: One Direction fans sorry to disappoint you, but as far as musical groups are concerned, it starts with the Beatles. They were torch bearers among groups when it came to writing their own music, and similarly to Elvis in the previous decade, an incredible influence on popular culture. There will never be another.

3. The Beach Boys: Dysfunctional family groups? The Beach Boys wrote the book. Still, Carl could sing like an angel and Dennis was probably the second-best songwriter in the band. What is there to say about Brian that hasn’t already been said? He was Lennon, McCartney and George Martin all in one. He wrote the songs, he produced and arranged the songs. He is a musical genius. ‘nough said.

4. The Rolling Stones: If Lennon and McCartney could do it, well so could Jagger and Richards. Also like the Beatles, the Stones have a catalogue of songs that have stood the test of time. Keith Richards IS rock and roll.

5. Bob Dylan: Is he rock or is he folk? It doesn’t matter. Before Dylan, no one wrote lyrics that made you think. If rock encompasses different styles and genres, Dylan fits here just fine, thank you.

6. The Hollies: As much as I love the harmonies of CS&N, in the history of popular music I don’t think there has ever been a match for the thrilling three-part harmonies of Allan Clarke, Graham Nash and Tony Hicks. For me, among all the acts that have graduated into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Hollies remain one of the most underrated. It didn’t matter if they sang Pop, Folk, or Rock, they could flat-out outsing just about anyone.

7. Bruce Springsteen: I can think of very few acts who have remained musically relevant for the last 40+ years. Springsteen set the bar for live performances in the 1970’s, and 40 years later, he is still among the most charismatic performers around. AND, he still has something to say musically, spiritually, and culturally.

8. The Band: Levon Helm, Richard Manuel, Rick Danko...man my heart cries when I hear those voices in unison or alone. Incredible passion and feeling. Robbie Robertson’s songs were filled with imagery, and when played by the phenomenal musicians in the group, they came to life.

9. Raspberries: I know that this choice will cause heartburn or headaches, but I’ll go to my deathbed with the belief that Raspberries were the greatest band that never made it big. They had the combination of songs and musicianship. The only thing they didn’t have was a listening audience or a record company that cared. Their musical influence on me is impossible to describe.

10. The Eagles: The songwriting duo of Don Henley and Glenn Frey ranks among the most successful of all-time in music. The ease with which they could write hit songs was mind-boggling. Even perfectionism has its faults, and the Eagles certainly were perfectionists. Maybe that's why most critics hated them. Regardless, the fans loved them, and their success over the last 40 years is unparalleled.

Your turn!

The BeeGees, before and after their chipmunk-falsetto phase! Harmonies that matched The Hollies, yet Brothers-Gibb composing about 4 times the amount of quality hit songs!

Maybe they are too much "Pop" for you?

Same with Elton John?

marvin   

The BeeGees, before and after their chipmunk-falsetto phase! Harmonies that matched The Hollies, yet Brothers-Gibb composing about 4 times the amount of quality hit songs!

Maybe they are too much "Pop" for you?

Same with Elton John?

Yes Tony, I'll give the Bee Gees over the Hollies as songwriters, but it's all subjective. I'm the biggest Bee Gees fan around. As far as Elton goes, I loved everything till about 1981. After that, even though I have most of the albums, the quality (imo) was sporadic.

Nice list. Not being a folk/country man, I'd probably substitute Dylan, the Band and the Eagles with Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith and Queen, but that's me. I might also have to drop Springsteen (sorry, Marvin) for Van Halen. And that would be a pretty good list.

Bernie

So...

1. The Beatles

2. Raspberries

3. The Rolling Stones

4. The Beach Boys

5. Queen

6. Led Zeppelin

7. Aerosmith

8. Van Halen

9. The Who

10. Elvis

Bernie

Guest Rachan   
Guest Rachan

You nailed it.......That would be mine, but I would replace the Beach Boys with Heart smile

Marvin, it's so interesting!!!

Then I' m not good at proper form R&R.

Actually my favorite is AOR and UK Band or classic music...

But I love this thread!

Go for it! LuvLove

Sorry Tony, as great of singers as the Bee Gees were, they are NOT the singers The Hollies were, really not in the same league [We're talking Beatles and BBs as the Hollies competion on vocals] Allan Clark was a stronger singer than any Bee Gee, and Graham Nash is the finest high harmony singer in Rock history [Tied with Phil Everly] Take the Hollies best twenty five songs, and the Bee Gees...I love the Bee Gees, but give me the Hollies. Good call Marv! [Did I add that The Hollies had one of the best drummers in Rock History? And one of the most underrated guitarist? I just did!

marvin   

This list really is jus MY opinion. I don't lay any claim that it matters to anyone other than to me. While I LIKE certain tunes by Zep and Van Halen, and many tunes by Aerosmith and Heart, none of these bands would replace the bands that are on my list. Doesn't make my list better. It's just the music that has mattered to me.

1. The Who

2. The Beatles

3. U2

4. Raspberries

5. The Clash

6. Springsteen

7. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

8. The Beach Boys

9. R.E.M.

10. Wilco

Someday,Radiohead,Coldplay,KEANE,the Killers and Green Day could potentially push their way onto my list.

Geez, Steve! So, how was I supposed to know you were such a Hollies nut?

And Pretender...Could you please take the "Paul Krugman of pop bands" R.E.M. (So self-important, yet so lightweight) off your list please?...It would make your list so much more credible... smirk

Why do I get the feeling the only R.E.M. song you know is "Shiny Happy People"? BTW,if you look up lightweight in the Rock & Roll dictionary the entry reads "Brothers Gibb"

marvin   

With all due respect, "lightweight" has nothing to do with it. In 30 years, people will still be singing / recording Bee Gees songs.

Guest Rachan   
Guest Rachan

I like your list, but disagree about the Bee Gees

Aside from incredible harmonies & infectiously catchy tunes... The production of their recordings is amazing.

The Bee Gees were a great POP band.And while I love pop music too I consider it a lighter form of music than Rock & Roll.I didn't mean that I considered them a lightweight talent. I just don't know of a Bee Gees song that fits my definition of Rock & Roll.While the Beatles and Beach Boys were great pop bands too,they could also rock with the best.

I've heard all of the R.E.M. hits...Decent pop band. A handful of cool songs. BeeGees..."Epic" pop band by the sheer numbers of quality songs written and recorded over a long number of years. Many songs "sound" pop lightweight...just like R.E.M...Stipe thinks he is a master poet...but he's not.

Maybe 5 really memorable songs for R.E.M. About 45 for the lightweight Brothers Gibb...Libs just can't seem to do the math in music or economics, can they? wink

Sorry, but Marvin and Co maybe right about the "Rock and Roll" apsect. But I don't think the poppy BeeGees, Beach Boys or R.E.M. know how to really Rock and Roll. It has something to do with bringing out a true electric guitar track to the forefront when recording. Some bands just don't include that sound...Someone like today's Butch Walker truly knows how to do both.