Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

"Go All The Way" - 40th Anniversary!

1972-05-22_latimes.jpg

On May 22, 1972, Richard Nixon became he first President to visit Moscow, the world was shocked to learn that Michelangelo's masterpiece, the Pietà, was heavily damaged by a man with a hammer, and the Dominion of Ceylon formally became the Republic of Sri Lanka. The top movie at the box-office was "The Godfather," the #1 song on the radio was "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack, and television viewers had their choice between new episodes of "The Rookies," "Gunsmoke" or "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" at 8 pm.

That same day, Capitol Records released a 7" piece of vinyl that held within its grooves a sound that would pack a powerful punch over the upcoming Summer months. Starting with a jaw-dropping riff that exploded out of portable turntables and AM car radios from coast-to-coast, Raspberries' "Go All The Way" would eventually march up the charts to gold record status and catapult Eric Carmen, Wally Bryson, Jim Bonfanti and Dave Smalley to international fame.

1972-05-22_goalltheway.jpg

Happy 40th Birthday to "Go All The Way"—the record that started it all!

Bernie

• Like 1

Zuke   

I was 16 she was 14 in my 1969 Cutlass Convertible. SHE was singing it to ME.

(at first I didn't know what they were singing) ".... Go A-way?"

Happy 40th To One Of The Greatest Singles Of All-Time!

Happy birthday to The Raspberries “Go All The Way” which was released forty years ago today and, at least to my ears, still sounds incredible.

The song, which peaked at #5 on the US charts, starts out with, courtesy of Wally Bryson, one of rocks’ greatest guitar intros and never lets up from there. And since the “Berries” were all about singles thing did you ever notice that the first verse is only three seconds long? Three seconds…now that’s taking Tom Petty’s motto, “Don’t bore us, get to the chorus” to the max.

So hats off to Eric Carmen, Wally Bryson, Dave Smalley and Jim Bonfanti for creating some of “power pop’s” most memorable offerings! Rock on home boys!

—Michael Stanley (wncx.cbslocal.com), May 22, 2012

:lol:

Bernie

marvin   

Nice sentiments by Michael, but I disagree with his statement: "And since the "'Berries were all about singles..." . I can think of at least a dozen album tracks that were as strong or stronger than some of the singles.

RaspBen   

I was 5 ! Even then I new a one of kind voice when I heard it! There will always be only one Raspberries and one Eric!

Monica

canadianchick said:

'GO ALL THE WAY'...Proof that great music (and guitar riffs) are timeless...feels as real today as it did then.. :)

Could not have said it better...this song STILL sounds fresh and amazing.

:cool: Jean