Sign in to follow this  
Matthew C. Clark

Levon Helm has cancer

JohnO   

No surprise, based on Robbie Robertson's comment about him at the R&R HoF induction last week.

Levon doesn't just have cancer - he's in the final stages at this point, and has little time left. He was diagnosed with throat cancer in 1998, and underwent massive radiation treatments, and then surgery, which robbed him of his voice. It eventually returned in 5-6 years, at which point he started recording again. Sadly, the tumor has returned.

marvin   

I know that not everyone here is a fan of the Band, but personally, I LOVED them. In my opinion, you'd be hard pressed to find a more diverse group of singers / musicians. They could play and sing in any style. Levon had a playing style that was so unique, and his voice gave those 'rootsy' songs the feel that no other singer could have given. Another wonderful singer / musician that will be missed.

missm   

I still enjoy Levon's composition "Dixie Chicken" as well as his performance in "Coal Miner's Daughter". He and his family are in my prayers!!

I should watch "The Last Waltz" in it's entirety sometime, to get a feel of those guys, who impressed me with some of their individual efforts.

Though NOTHING will ever match the diversity of Marvin's Ad-Hoc Band...One for the ages!

JohnO   

I've read reports that he's gone, but haven't gotten confirmation yet.

P.S. Levon wrote "Dixie Chicken"? Lowell George is spinning in his grave about that, I bet. Hard to believe Lowell's been gone for close to 33 years now.

JohnO   

Per Levon's web site, he passed away peacefully today. Very sad, but he outlasted The Band's other singers, Richard Manuel (suicide at age 42), and Rick Danko (drug-related heart failure at 56). . . . a lot of tragedy associated with that bunch.

marvin   

Per Levon's web site, he passed away peacefully today. Very sad, but he outlasted The Band's other singers, Richard Manuel (suicide at age 42), and Rick Danko (drug-related heart failure at 56). . . . a lot of tragedy associated with that bunch.

When it came to drumming, Levon had an inimitable style. I loved watching him play and sing. A true original in every sense of the word.